• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Absolutely terrified...

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hmmm
I wonder why mind are rapidly changing whereas others seem to be constant for a longer period of time?
Not sure mate, bit of an odd question but how old are you? I'm just asking as if you were still in your teens it might play a part?

(actually a wild guess but I do know that hormones and neurotransmitters are actually the same, perhaps you have something hormonal going on...then again...'jacks'...is that short for John or Jackie???)

Last edited:
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Had a quick search and...you appear to have a very fast occuring version of bi-polar something called rapid cycling or "ultra-ultra-rapid cycling" or "ultradian.". This is something I know nothing about, so don't get freaked out by the term Ultra ;)

I did a quick search about bi-polar and found something to suggest that 'rapid cycling' is somehow related to the Thyroid hormone, as it seems to be an effective treatment for rapid cycling bi-polar...

Take everything I say with a pinch of salt, I'm actually just thinking aloud. Best to discuss it with a qualified professional... (y)

Last edited:
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Actually strike the 'mate' part...I read back...you're a lass (you called yourself a 'cow'...how rude :p ). I did also find a page that spoke about the different types of bipolar and how Thyroid was thought to play a part particulalry with women. Bit of a rapid search, can't find the link now (it was a long boring page by a shrink ;) ). Perhaps bring this up with your G.P./Shrink and see if it has any resonance with him???

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Found the boring page again, look down just under the heading 'THE PROBLEM OF CO MORBIDITY'. Has some stuff that might be of interest...

Arnold L. Lieber said:
Thyroid disorders - any thyroid disease that results in either a hyperthyroid or a hypothyroid clinical state can interact adversely with bipolar mood disorders. Hyperthyroidism can resemble hypomania/ mania and it can worsen pre-existing mania/ hypomania. Hypothyroidism can resemble clinical depression and it can cause pre-existing depression to be unresponsive to antidepressant medications. Treatment with lithium can produce hypothyroidism, which then interferes with the effectiveness of psychotropic medications. Subtle or subclinical hypothyroidism is often associated with the development of mixed and rapid cycling bipolar disorders. If present, it must be compensated for in order to successfully treat the mixed state. In general, the co-existence of a thyroid disorder, unless recognized and adequately treated, will interfere with effective treatment of bipolar disorder and also of major and minor depressions.
Link

D

Dollit

You're the same as me - a rapid cycler. That means (usually) four or more mood changes in a year but when I'm ill I can do double that in a day. It's absolutely exhausting and confusing and nauseating. I take lithium which settles me down mood wise. You're right Rorscharch that the thyroid can play a part in a type of mania but it does feel very different and distinct from bipolar mania. I had an episode of this last year and I found it quite disorientating. I think it's wise to have a physical check and you should have bloods before beginning major medication anyway just to rule out other things. I'm here most of the weekend if you want to chat. :hug:

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
lol, thanks Rorschach! I don't mind being called mate at all, it's quite comforting in a weird sorta way! I am a lass yeah.... though sometimes I'm not sure...
I'm afraid I'm well past my teenage years, I'm 26, but those ideas may certainly be worth mentioning to my GP
Thank you for starting a new thread, I look forward to seeing the replies on there as well as here :)
Dollit, thank you, It's also strangely comforting to know that someone else can have as many moods in a day as I can and who knows how draining it is
I have bloods quite regularly due to other physical medical issues and have had my thyroid checked twice, but both times has been fine
I'm going to have a look in to the lithium online, I haven't heard of it before but would be interesting to know what it does etc
Thank you (y)

D

Dollit

Lithium is an excellent mood stabiliser but before you take it you have to have thyroid & renal function tests. To begin with lithium levels are taken weekly until you hit the right level in your blood stream and then it's every three months for lithium levels and every six months for thyroid & renal function. I fight a little against medication but lithium has proved to be the most effective one for me. It works reasonably quickly (usually you begin to settle in around 28 days) and since I've been back on it my moods swings occupy a lot less time and I manage whole weeks or two with good stability - I once went 10 weeks without symptoms and was officially in remission which has never happened before. I was on lithium for a long time but come off it on a medical trial. I'm glad I did the trial but I'm glad to be back on lithium because I've lived without it. Talk to your doctor about using lithium, there is a wealth of information on line but it is much better to talk to your medics about it. Good luck and let me know what you think. (y)

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
I am also one for fighting against the medication and also fighting against my counselling, so I must be a nightmare to treat. I'm think I'm going to mention lithium to my doctor, although I'm half-inclined to wait a couple of weeks and see if he mentions it to me first.
Any period of stability sounds like a dream, I'm so tired of being unstable
I have to apologise if all my posts sound really negative... I do try to be more positive but it's sometimes hard

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Staff Member on Leave
I take depakote mood stabilser along with other meds. I tried a few other mood stabilisers but that was the one that gave me the least side effects.
Although it hasnt sorted everything i dont get manic so often, but i still get outs of depression that come on for no reason.

The only thing you can do is try any meds prescribed and see if they suit you.

Good luck

D

Dollit

Jack - it's okay to mention medication and the possibility of changing to your doctor. They're supposed to listen to you too! Depakote that Daffy mentioned is a good medication too. I was trialled on it but it just wasn't quite strong enough for me and I went back to lithium. You have choices over your medication and any half way decent doctor should recognise this. :hug:

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
Dollit - thank you
I have an appointment this week so I will summon up the courage from somewhere to go into more detail about medication, and the dramatic mood swings
I can't even begin to tell you how useful I am finding this forum, being able to sound off to people who understand, and even just looking forward to coming on here and reading your comments are helping me to find the strength to carry on, and also not to hurt myself
I hope I can be of some help and support to you all one day :grouphug:

jackskellington

jackskellington

Founding Member
erm, I also realise how dumb that last comment sounded :oops:
:redface:

D

Dollit

Jack - that last comment was not dumb it was a real hope for a productive future, good comment! (y)

J

jooblue

Rapid cycling

Hi there, I get a lot of rapid cycling too - one of the reasons the docs are trying to decide what degree of bipolar i could be, or whether it's cyclothymia with severe depressed episodes. To be honest I am also relieved to see that it's not just me who can go through several cycles in a day, in all the research i've tried to do I've not come across anything that says you can get these mood swings so rapidly.

I have an appointment tomorrow with the consultant psychiatrist, if anything interesting comes up out of it, I'll let you know for your own info too. :)