• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Absconding from a Section (UK)

M

markdoyle

I understand that some who, having absconded from a mental health hospital, harm themselves or others. I understand also that many others feel trapped and unnerved in hospitals which have insufficient facilities, where pills, TV, pills, sleep seems a never ending frustrating cycle.

Absconsion is not something taken lightly but, in my eyes, is a legitimate signal that somebody might find that detention actually compounds the hell of having a particular condition. Absconsion ordinarily is seen be professionals as something that shows you are 'risky', rather than distressed by compulsory detention and desperate for fresh air.

I've tried numerous ways of exiting the locked doors of the mental health hospital. This might have meant that my detention has been extended, but I find the desire for a casual walk or to sleep in a bed not made of rubber and plastic is overwhelming at times. I've also run out of new escape plans and am desperate for a walk. Any suggestions?

(P.S. As far as I am aware, absconsion is not a crime. It just means that the police will try to return you to hospital, but there is no criminality in it as such)

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum Mark.

The more you keep on escaping the more unstable they are going to think you are IMO. Not saying you are not of course.

You know what you need to do? Work with the staff, play the game as such.

M

markdoyle

Thanks for the hello! I understand that, but the process is tortuous and that I can go for a 30min walk with staff in two weeks time for me has no relation to how wacky I am. I know I should 'play the game' but it's horrendously difficult trying to maintain that I am feeling buoyant when I'm not permitted fresh air, and subjected to non-stop 'Bargain Hunt' on TV.

S

supergreysmoke

Did abscond one time, first admission and wanted out, found carrying a file doing a busy strut and talking like a Doctor got me out the hospital.

Police brought me back later. Totaly ignored the others smoking cannabis in front of them, it was the eighties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Y

yoyogirl

You can pop home and grab things that would make things much more easier such as a kindle/ipad or laptop or a few books or anything that reminds you of home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Services 8
N Services 3