• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

About to try 2 mood stabilizers instead of taking one with an antipsychotic

B

BipolarBear44

Seeing Doc very soon, having serious ED problems on all antipsychotics i've tried.

It is possible to go on Lithium and Epival instead of taking an antipsychotic, which I will be making the switch soon enough.

I am wondering if anyone else on here has done the same, and if so, how were the side effects? Was it better than taking an antipsychotic?

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Antipsychotics have serious side effects including brain damage, so yeah you're probably better off without them.

K

Kelly B

Seeing Doc very soon, having serious ED problems on all antipsychotics i've tried.

It is possible to go on Lithium and Epival instead of taking an antipsychotic, which I will be making the switch soon enough.

I am wondering if anyone else on here has done the same, and if so, how were the side effects? Was it better than taking an antipsychotic?
Lithium? My psychiatrist told me that some doctors still prescribe that in spite of the fact that there are newer and better drugs available. He said that some of them still do that because it’s what they’ve always prescribed. There are much better mood stabilizers from this century.

J

jack black

Lithium? My psychiatrist told me that some doctors still prescribe that in spite of the fact that there are newer and better drugs available. He said that some of them still do that because it’s what they’ve always prescribed. There are much better mood stabilizers from this century.
lithium is one of the only 2 drugs that are known to really prevent suicides and regenerate lost gray matter. i bet you don't know what the other drug is either.

shrug, the newest and greatest anti-psychotics are known to shrink brains (no pun intended).

LadyDomino

LadyDomino

I'm on 2 mood stabilisers - lithium and lamotrigine - and am relatively stable.

H

Hail

I also wanted and still want to quit taking antipsihotic (some of them are very dangerous, I experienced myself, wonder how I'm still alive)... but it helps me sleep since I'm struggling with severe insomnia in the last 4 years.

H

Hail

I forgot..heard about lithium and lamictal that are v good in treating bipolar. That doesn't mean it fits to everyone. We try and see what works for us with lesser sides effects

D

Dofta

nice to know that antipsychotics hurt ur brain,, didnt know that.