• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

About psychotherapy.. time, money and choosing the right psychotherapist?

B

benrth

About psychotherapy.. time, money and choosing the right psychotherapist?

Hi, I had a very unhappy childhood (http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/fo...en-trouble-.-please-help!&p=104164#post104164) and i was suggested that psychotherapy /CBT might be an answer. I read a bit about in the internet and some questions are for me unclear.
Can you throw some light on: how many sessions I might need in total? Is a session conducted once a week? What would be the total time span for the entire psychotherapy process in my case? How to choose the “correct” psychotherapist? (im a bit low on budget) and what would the entire treatment cost in continental europe?

dib4uk

dib4uk

well regarding cost, can you not get it free from your local community mental health services? Im not to sure about the price to be honest but have a look around as your GP for some more advice on who would be better.... some therapy is done once a week, and other therapies are conducted twice or three times a week- but that depends on the type of therapy you've been selected for.

R

Roger Waldram

Hi,
As a psychotherapist (who had a diagnosis of schizophrenia @ 20) my doctoral research suggests your relationship with the therapist is all important so phone some & if you like them make a 1st appointment & see how you get on. Usually sessions are weekly. As a general guideline the longer the problem the longer the therapy. However, in a few sessions you can learn to use 'tools' such as
1. Diaphragmatic breathing to turm anxiety into excitement-physically they are the same!
2. Keep a journal & challenge critical self-talk.
3. Work out what your 'script-beliefs' are & kick out those you don't need.
Sometimes a therapist will negotiate over fees & how long is up to you-work out what you want-that's your therapeutic goal. You can always use the miracle question-imagine you go to bed tonight & a miracle happens so you wake up tomorrow & you're 'cured'-how would you know?
Best to you,
Roger