• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

About changing the name for schitzophrenia.

Davey Blueeyes

Davey Blueeyes

I think it should be changed to 'Lovelyophrenia' suffered by 'Lovelyophrenics'!

D

Deliah

That's a wonderful idea. Maybe we can make a joint request to the forum to change the name of this section to just that. It would make me smile every time I read it. Davey Blue Eyes you are beautiful. D xx

A

ashesunbroken

A label is a label. It is still an illness. It isn't a part of you, its just a sickness. I don't think it should matter what it is named, in my opinion.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
A label is a label. It is still an illness. It isn't a part of you, its just a sickness. I don't think it should matter what it is named, in my opinion.
Speak for yourself, sick and ill person.

No illness nor sickness in any medical sense has ever been established.

Do you rather like the idea of having a medical illness?

A

ashesunbroken

Yes, there are brain scans that show proof of mental illness, making mental illness physical. However, I am not going to argue over this. A label is a label. not a person.

T

tumbleweed13502

whats the point in changing the name? its not going to change anything really. schizophrenia will still be a crappy disease and people with it will still face stigma. why not try to treat the illness better so more people can recover and the public stops associating schizophrenics with mental deficiency, violence, and illogic?

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
now please for the love of god show me one of these brain scans.
There are plenty, that come up with a simple google search.

There does appear to be ample evidence that there are brain structural, chemical & genetic changes & differences in people with severe mental illness.

The argument, in some places, is what causes those changes? what the exact changes are? & what are the best ways of treating it all? - always back with aetiology & treatment approaches.

i don't think there is really a question as to a physiology to these conditions.

i'd see there being other aspects to things as well. But to deny the physical/biologic aspects is i think as myopic as to deny the psychological /social aspects to it all as well.

May well turn out in cases that these are largely physiological conditions (however caused) - i think that has to be rationally accepted. Still doesn't necessarily necessitate the treatments.

i think there should be a comprehensive/integral view taken.

Debatable & different opinion/perspectives as to what ways it's all illness - But it seems obvious to various degrees/ways some people are mentally/emotionally ill (some very severely).

i'm Not sure the schizophrenia diagnosis will get changed - as when it's all wrangled out/argued at a more professional/academic/orthodox level - i think the illness arguments do win out. In a more enlightened culture it may be different? But a more enlightened culture it's Not.

As much as it's not liked, i think Anosognosia is a problem in regards to people experiencing mental illness -

Impaired awareness and anosognosia in mentally ill

Last edited:
*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
whats the point in changing the name? its not going to change anything really. schizophrenia will still be a crappy disease and people with it will still face stigma. why not try to treat the illness better so more people can recover and the public stops associating schizophrenics with mental deficiency, violence, and illogic?
I don't feel it's a "crappy disease" and would prefer to view it as a condition. I would want to start with the way i view it, as a way to treat it.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You can use a computer/google -

Try 'evidence of brain changes in schizophrenia' in google

& 'brain scans of schizophrenia' with an image search, for the pretty pictures.

Also read Torrey Fuller's 'Surviving Schizophrenia' - i think it largely denies a lot of the deeper psychological/social aspects to things, but it does make some very good points.

Maybe start with explaining why mental illness isn't mental illness?

Last edited by a moderator: