• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Abilify - How long does it take?

TheLuna

TheLuna

I started taking Abilify about a month ago. I'm taking it for some of the symptoms of Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I googled and learned that it can take up to six weeks the feel the full benefits, but I'm curious about other people's experiences. Anyone who has had any success with Abilify, what did you take/are you taking it for and how long did it take to get the full benefit? And maybe what dosage were you on as well. I'm currently only on 2mg. I'm not sure if I can go higher than that because I'm also taking Wellbutrin, which interacts with Abilify.

Luna

Z

Zuiese

Mostly they have been negative or affected my body and sharpness, for me I still had psychosis whether on this stuff or off of it, I know this is not what you wanted to hear back but its been my experience, you are probably suffering from bad events or reactions to them.

This crap will in the long run make your service provider rich and you more ill.

Try a professional therapist or a counselor.

TheLuna

TheLuna

Mostly they have been negative or affected my body and sharpness, for me I still had psychosis whether on this stuff or off of it, I know this is not what you wanted to hear back but its been my experience, you are probably suffering from bad events or reactions to them.

This crap will in the long run make your service provider rich and you more ill.

Try a professional therapist or a counselor.
I'm sorry you've had such a hard time with it. I'm okay at the moment, but I know what it's like being on meds that completely mess you up. I am seeing a therapist weekly and we discuss medication, as well as the underlying issues I'm dealing with. Abilify is just our starting point in terms of meds, so I might try something else in the coming months. I'm also on a waiting list to see a psychiatrist.

Thank you for replying. I'll keep note of what you've said while I keep an eye out for side effects.

N

natalie

Hi,

i take o ral solution Abilify. At 25ml, it has been a marvellous med for hearing voices, and intrusive thoughts as long as I am reasonablyphysically, namely sinuses. I have been on 25ml, since 2012, and a review in 2015, and i have been under GP care for 25ml ever since. Note; i do have a problem in that i st ruggle slightly at times, with my paranoia levels.

TheLuna

TheLuna

Hi,

i take o ral solution Abilify. At 25ml, it has been a marvellous med for hearing voices, and intrusive thoughts as long as I am reasonablyphysically, namely sinuses. I have been on 25ml, since 2012, and a review in 2015, and i have been under GP care for 25ml ever since. Note; i do have a problem in that i st ruggle slightly at times, with my paranoia levels.
I'm glad it's working so well for you. Fingers crossed for me. It's encouraging to hear some good things about it. I haven't experienced any change in my symptoms yet, so my doc just recently increased it from 2mg to 4. No side effects yet either. Omg some help with intrusive thoughts would be nice!

N

natalie

Hi The Luna,

To help your intrusive thoughts, could you possibly try to listen or view some music, either with a personal cd player and headphones, or to go to You Tube, oops, could I namedrop, apologies mod team, and call up music videos there. They might just help you to unwind better, and help you to relax down.

TheLuna

TheLuna

Hi, Natalie, thank you for the suggestions. You're right, I should utilize those things more. Sometimes I avoid them because I also deal with ideas of reference (similar to delusions of reference), and references can pop up anywhere. I should probably curate a playlist of songs and videos that I know are safe for me.

N

natalie

Hi The luna,

Your welcome. I'm glad that I've inspired you.

Best regards.

Zero One

Zero One

I was on it for a few days before I started to really feel better but I was able to feel the difference from day one and in the end they had me on 30mg

TheLuna

TheLuna

I was on it for a few days before I started to really feel better but I was able to feel the difference from day one and in the end they had me on 30mg
Wow, that's impressive. I admit I haven't felt anything yet (assuming it's going to work for me at all) , but I may be on too low a dose still. Are you still on it? Any side effects?

Zero One

Zero One

Wow, that's impressive. I admit I haven't felt anything yet (assuming it's going to work for me at all) , but I may be on too low a dose still. Are you still on it? Any side effects?
I am no longer on it. I used to shake like hell sometimes when I was on it but since coming off I only shake maybe once a month...so I think the shaking may have been a side effect...still not sure if it is though because the shakes are not totally gone. They started me off on a low dose first 2mg then 5 then 10, 15, 20 and 30...not so sure if it was 20 or 25. I really hope you find something that works for you and that you feel better. I'm not familiar with your personality disorder although it sounds interesting. I am schizoaffective and dealing with a disorganized mind with surprise moods and wacky impressions are hurtful. Just now I was feeling happy that it is Friday then my mind flipped a little bit after that for me to feel like there is work tomorrow--the voices I have call this sort of thing impressions. I felt low in response and was then reminded that it is Friday. I am due to take my meds now though...I just like to talk on the forum a bit before I get into that ritual.

TheLuna

TheLuna

I am no longer on it. I used to shake like hell sometimes when I was on it but since coming off I only shake maybe once a month...so I think the shaking may have been a side effect...still not sure if it is though because the shakes are not totally gone. They started me off on a low dose first 2mg then 5 then 10, 15, 20 and 30...not so sure if it was 20 or 25. I really hope you find something that works for you and that you feel better. I'm not familiar with your personality disorder although it sounds interesting. I am schizoaffective and dealing with a disorganized mind with surprise moods and wacky impressions are hurtful. Just now I was feeling happy that it is Friday then my mind flipped a little bit after that for me to feel like there is work tomorrow--the voices I have call this sort of thing impressions. I felt low in response and was then reminded that it is Friday. I am due to take my meds now though...I just like to talk on the forum a bit before I get into that ritual.
I believe the shakes can be a side effect, and I've heard that sometimes they can be permanent even after stopping the Abilify. That sucks that you have to deal with that. At least it's not too frequent.

I've heard a lot about schizoaffective. A lot more than my own disorder actually (it's just not as talked about as the other PDs for some reason). There's a lady I watch on YouTube who has schizoaffective. Her channel is "Living Well with Schizophrenia". Very informative. It sounds very challenging to deal with, the way it messes with you. There must be a lot of emotional ups and downs. Talking is good, though. 🙂 Chatting about it can be so helpful. I like this forum. I lurk here a lot and just read other people's posts/comments.

With my disorder, I deal with something similar to what another (former) forum member had. Her name was TvGirl. I'm sure a lot of you here remember her. She felt like everyone was talking about her all the time. The difference with me is that I figured out that no one actually knows that what they're saying is significant to me in any way. I'm aware that this is more than likely a delusion, although I can't shake the idea that it might not be. It still affects me a lot because many of the references to myself that I hear/see are persecutory and not very nice. It's one thing to know it might not be real. It's a whole other thing to not be affected by it. I don't have voices in the traditional sense. You could call the persecutory references "voices", though, as it's very easy to fall into the trap of arguing with them.

Thank you for responding btw. 💛

Zero One

Zero One

I believe the shakes can be a side effect, and I've heard that sometimes they can be permanent even after stopping the Abilify. That sucks that you have to deal with that. At least it's not too frequent.

I've heard a lot about schizoaffective. A lot more than my own disorder actually (it's just not as talked about as the other PDs for some reason). There's a lady I watch on YouTube who has schizoaffective. Her channel is "Living Well with Schizophrenia". Very informative. It sounds very challenging to deal with, the way it messes with you. There must be a lot of emotional ups and downs. Talking is good, though. 🙂 Chatting about it can be so helpful. I like this forum. I lurk here a lot and just read other people's posts/comments.

With my disorder, I deal with something similar to what another (former) forum member had. Her name was TvGirl. I'm sure a lot of you here remember her. She felt like everyone was talking about her all the time. The difference with me is that I figured out that no one actually knows that what they're saying is significant to me in any way. I'm aware that this is more than likely a delusion, although I can't shake the idea that it might not be. It still affects me a lot because many of the references to myself that I hear/see are persecutory and not very nice. It's one thing to know it might not be real. It's a whole other thing to not be affected by it. I don't have voices in the traditional sense. You could call the persecutory references "voices", though, as it's very easy to fall into the trap of arguing with them.

Thank you for responding btw. 💛
Oh yes--tvgirl posted not so long ago-- isn't she still a member?. I would say the first 6 months of my disorder were like that. My husband started it off talking about 1984 the Orwell book. Then secret society was telling me I will join if they ask me if I want to be a part of them and I say no. I wanted to be in it because my son and husband were both in it, but they surprised me by asking me in a dream and I said no and then thoughts came rushing to my mind that I wanted to join it because of my son and then I remembered that I would be in if I say no--so I was in and I was so happy. What made it seem more real is that my husband seemed to be a part of it and he knew it. He kept saying bizarre things that were fitting with the story. Now I can think a zillion things about him and be extremely hurt, so I try my best not to touch those topics when they are presented to my mind. But the scale of what I saw and experienced was massive. I used to think my husband's job was a front for a recording studio and they were making music videos about me and he could go to work, leave by plane, and then come back. You are right that it helps to talk about it. The voices are making me feel better and explaining things...I just hope this is not part of a system. I told them I don't want to be a part of any of their f**king systems.

TheLuna

TheLuna

Oh yes--tvgirl posted not so long ago-- isn't she still a member?. I would say the first 6 months of my disorder were like that. My husband started it off talking about 1984 the Orwell book. Then secret society was telling me I will join if they ask me if I want to be a part of them and I say no. I wanted to be in it because my son and husband were both in it, but they surprised me by asking me in a dream and I said no and then thoughts came rushing to my mind that I wanted to join it because of my son and then I remembered that I would be in if I say no--so I was in and I was so happy. What made it seem more real is that my husband seemed to be a part of it and he knew it. He kept saying bizarre things that were fitting with the story. Now I can think a zillion things about him and be extremely hurt, so I try my best not to touch those topics when they are presented to my mind. But the scale of what I saw and experienced was massive. I used to think my husband's job was a front for a recording studio and they were making music videos about me and he could go to work, leave by plane, and then come back. You are right that it helps to talk about it. The voices are making me feel better and explaining things...I just hope this is not part of a system. I told them I don't want to be a part of any of their f**king systems.
That's a lot to deal with. I'm glad you're feeling a little better these days. Your voices sound very helpful.

Do you mean systems in dissociative identity disorder? I wouldn't want that either.

TheLuna

TheLuna

About TvGirl, I thought I saw that her account had been deactivated. Does she have another account here?