• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

Abilify as an antidepressant supplement

X

xodarap3121

Hello. Has anyone been prescribed Abilify (aripiprazole) in addition to an antidepressant, after the antidepressant failed to suffice? How did it go for you?

Hello513

Hello513

Hello. Has anyone been prescribed Abilify (aripiprazole) in addition to an antidepressant, after the antidepressant failed to suffice? How did it go for you?
Yes and abilify works wonders for me in two ways. It is by far the most effective anti psychotic I have ever taken, and an intergral part in boosting my mood.

However everyone reacts differently to meds so my story may not be yours.

X

xodarap3121

Yes and abilify works wonders for me in two ways. It is by far the most effective anti psychotic I have ever taken, and an intergral part in boosting my mood.

However everyone reacts differently to meds so my story may not be yours.
Good for you, Hello513Zombie! Glad to hear it works for you. Hopefully I’ll have similar results.

On Fire

On Fire

Aripiprazole is definitely a good medication. I find it works well for psychosis.

Cabra

Cabra

Abilify can cause suicide, blocking dolamine and seratonin doesn't have the best outcome...

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Well since I'm a voice hearer Aripiprazole (Abilify) makes me far less depressed because it lowers the volume of this voice I hear lol. I've been on it for years and not once have I felt suicidal, quite the opposite.

It makes my voice feel depressed because he can't irritate me as much, poor thing lol.

On Fire

On Fire

Abilify can cause suicide, blocking dolamine and seratonin doesn't have the best outcome...
In practice, taking Aripiprazole, as I do, it is definitely not a depressant, it seems to give me a good mood, like a decent antidepressant. Even though Aripiprazole is an antipsychotic, and as you say blocks some dopamine and serotonin, it just does not feel like that.

X

xodarap3121

Aripiprazole is definitely a good medication. I find it works well for psychosis.
Thanks for sharing, On Fire. Would you mind if I asked how long it took to kick in to full effect (i.e., how long you needed to take it before you felt the full benefits)?

On Fire

On Fire

Ages. At least a month to get rid of psychosis. Maybe more like 2 to 3 months to get full effect from a certain dosage level. But your millage may vary.

X

xodarap3121

Ok, On Fire, thanks for letting me know (and apologies for the belated response). I have been experiencing night sweats and wonder if Effexor is the culprit.

N

natalie

Could I point out, Abilify isn't a antidepressant, is a antipshycotic. It is for pshycosis, and also all in one, other counterparts of mental health issues, suchas voice hearing, intrusive thoughts, and paranoia. I like this medication, because it allows me to go out to normally to volunteering, offline, and normally do my fitness, and knitting and listening to music.

On Fire

On Fire

Could I point out, Abilify isn't a antidepressant, is a antipshycotic. It is for pshycosis, and also all in one, other counterparts of mental health issues, suchas voice hearing, intrusive thoughts, and paranoia. I like this medication, because it allows me to go out to normally to volunteering, offline, and normally do my fitness, and knitting and listening to music.
Aripiprazole is licenced in the USA to be used as an add on to an antidepressant to treat difficult to treat depression.
But Aripiprazole is an antipsychotic, as you point out.