• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Abilify as a rescue med?

• Thread starter Backwoods Beast
  • Start date
K

Keesha

I hope it works out for you. Perhaps I should add to my reviews that "just because it didn't work for me doesn't me it won't for you." :)
It’s interesting that the majority of people suggested clonazepam or a benzodiazepine but we are all different.

G

Ginger Kitten

It could be the effect of the meds or it could be you are bombed out from the excess emotion of last week and before. I sometimes feel shell-shocked after agitation - and that's definitely exhaustion in my case, not meds.

G

Ginger Kitten

It’s interesting that the majority of people suggested clonazepam or a benzodiazepine but we are all different.
Clonazepam IS a benzo, Keith. Unless I'm very much mistaken, which is possible. I know for sure it's an anxiolytic (works directly on the nervous system so calms agitation). God, I'm sick of thinking about this stuff... No criticism of anyone else including you, I am just at the end of my rope with this illness. I just can't keep going through episode after episode; all my fight has gone.

K

Keesha

Clonazepam IS a benzo, Keith. Unless I'm very much mistaken, which is possible. I know for sure it's an anxiolytic (works directly on the nervous system so calms agitation). God, I'm sick of thinking about this stuff... No criticism of anyone else including you, I am just at the end of my rope with this illness. I just can't keep going through episode after episode; all my fight has gone.
It is. It was discussed earlier in this thread.

Backwoods Beast

Backwoods Beast

@Ginger Kitten I'm surprised to discover your tone has changed. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time, I didn't realize that before. Or is this new today? I hope you're okay.

Here for you, my friend.
-Beast

K

Keesha

Yes Ginger Kitten. I’m sorry you are having such a tough time. Are you having some serious ups & downs?

G

Ginger Kitten

Yes Ginger Kitten. I’m sorry you are having such a tough time. Are you having some serious ups & downs?

That's the nature of my presentation, Keesha: stable, stress, episode/crack-up, increased meds/self-care, stable, rinse, repeat. I never go longer than a few months stable before some form of stress robs me of that stability again. I really cannot bear it any more. I have requested an emergency appointment (through my GP, you have to bring their weight to bear or it doesn't happen, especially at Xmas time) with my pdoc and I am going to say so to him. I am going to tell him my treatment plan needs to be revised because it isn't working. And the first thing he and I need to focus on is teaching me ways of controlling my stress response: it's the key to everything. If we get that under control, I won't become agitated and the episodes won't happen as often or be as severe. A child of 3 could see it...

My moods cycle far more rapidly than is normal, even for someone with bipolar. It needs addressing - and urgently. And yet I don't have rapid cycling - or at least, I don't fit the criteria for it. I don't care what they call it, tbh, I just want my pdoc to at least try to prevent it happening so often, so that I don't then have to pump myself full of a benzo to calm down.

Thank you for asking. Best wishes, Ginger.

G

Ginger Kitten

@Ginger Kitten I'm surprised to discover your tone has changed. I'm so sorry you're having a hard time, I didn't realize that before. Or is this new today? I hope you're okay.

Here for you, my friend.
-Beast

Here's what I said to Keesha, Beastie, which explains what ails me exactly:

This is the nature of my presentation: stable, stress, episode/crack-up, increased meds/self-care, stable, rinse, repeat. I never go longer than a few months stable before some form of stress knocks me for six. I really cannot bear it any more. I have requested an emergency appointment (through my GP [NHS general practitioner]) with my pdoc and I am going to say so to him. I am going to tell him my treatment plan needs to be revised because it isn't working. And the first thing he and I need to focus on is teaching me ways of controlling my stress response: it's the key to everything. If we get that under control, I won't become agitated and the episodes won't happen as often or be as severe. A child of 3 could see it...

My moods cycle far more rapidly than is normal, even for someone with bipolar. It needs addressing - and urgently. And yet I don't have rapid cycling - or at least, I don't fit the criteria for it. I don't care what they call it, tbh, I just want my pdoc to at least try to prevent it happening so often, so that I don't then have to pump myself full of benzos to calm down.

Thank you for your concern, Beastie Boy, I will get through this as I always do, but I have lost count of the number of meltdowns/breakdowns/episodes I have had. I am quite a strong woman, but everyone has their breaking point and I've reached mine. I just don't think the psychiatric profession is doing right by me atm, even though I like my pdoc. He needs to come at my illness from a different angle, and not expect me to keep tolerating the intolerable.

I've been on Clonazepam for just over a week now and am going to stay on it for a few more days. It is only addictive after 2-4 weeks and it is doing me good, so... Hopefully in a few days it will have calmed me enough to drop it all together. I will have to anyway, as I don't want addiction to add to my problems!

Kind regards, GK.

G

Ginger Kitten

It is. It was discussed earlier in this thread.
I didn't read the rest of the thread Keith. It's not always possible to do so, or you would have no time to do anything else in life! And I'm not well at the moment, so I'm not scouring through loads of threads. I just made that comment because you said, 'clonazepam OR a benzodiazepine', which I thought might confuse people new to this stuff. Regards, Ginger.

K

Keesha

That must be horrible to go through. That manic high is exhausting no matter what the source. I hear you. Strangely enough I was more moody on meds , both Epival and Zoloft. It’s like my brain couldn’t handle either of them. The Epival have to nightmares which agitated me and the Zoloft made me fearful. Clonazepam was what brought me down where I could sleep and start to properly care for myself.

It’s not a drug I do everyday. I’m mildly hypomanic and generally stay that way unless I have far too much coffee, chocolate or even antihistamines. They get my heart rate up which can bring about mania.

I’m sorry you are getting the right medication so you aren’t having severe ups and downs. I’ve had a couple of experiences with that but one was street drug related and totally my fault.

You are right, it doesn’t matter what they call it. The fact that you get the right meds is crucial. They might prescribe a benzodiazepine at first just to calm you down and then wean you off it as they gradually get you on a cocktail of meds that actually work for you.

I wish you the best Ginger. 🙏

K

Keesha

This is the nature of my presentation: stable, stress, episode/crack-up, increased meds/self-care, stable, rinse, repeat. I I've been on Clonazepam for just over a week now and am going to stay on it for a few more days. It is only addictive after 2-4 weeks and it is doing me good, so... Hopefully in a few days it will have calmed me enough to drop it all together. I will have to anyway, as I don't want addiction to add to my problems!

Kind regards, GK.
Thats great that you are on it. It’s a perfect just for sedation for those who need calming down but doesn’t mix well with some other drugs.

If I had perpetual highs I’d rather stay on a low dose of this forever than bounce up and down on other drugs that mess with my head.

Of course it’s all personal preference but if I’m flying, my last concern is if I become addicted to it. If I do, I’ll wean myself off when the times right.

That’s great that you’ve had some medical assistance and been given the proper meds for your symptoms.

K

Keesha

I didn't read the rest of the thread Keith. It's not always possible to do so, or you would have no time to do anything else in life! And I'm not well at the moment, so I'm not scouring through loads of threads. I just made that comment because you said, 'clonazepam OR a benzodiazepine', which I thought might confuse people new to this stuff. Regards, Ginger.
No worries. Your reasoning was the same reasoning that I said what I did. I don’t want others thinking clonazepam is a bad choice. It’s not if it’s used for what it’s prescribed for.

Backwoods Beast

Backwoods Beast

This is the nature of my presentation: stable, stress, episode/crack-up, increased meds/self-care, stable, rinse, repeat. I never go longer than a few months stable before some form of stress knocks me for six. I really cannot bear it any more. I have requested an emergency appointment (through my GP [NHS general practitioner]) with my pdoc and I am going to say so to him. I am going to tell him my treatment plan needs to be revised because it isn't working. And the first thing he and I need to focus on is teaching me ways of controlling my stress response: it's the key to everything. If we get that under control, I won't become agitated and the episodes won't happen as often or be as severe. A child of 3 could see it...

My moods cycle far more rapidly than is normal, even for someone with bipolar. It needs addressing - and urgently. And yet I don't have rapid cycling - or at least, I don't fit the criteria for it. I don't care what they call it, tbh, I just want my pdoc to at least try to prevent it happening so often, so that I don't then have to pump myself full of benzos to calm down.

Thank you for your concern, Beastie Boy, I will get through this as I always do, but I have lost count of the number of meltdowns/breakdowns/episodes I have had. I am quite a strong woman, but everyone has their breaking point and I've reached mine. I just don't think the psychiatric profession is doing right by me atm, even though I like my pdoc. He needs to come at my illness from a different angle, and not expect me to keep tolerating the intolerable.

I've been on Clonazepam for just over a week now and am going to stay on it for a few more days. It is only addictive after 2-4 weeks and it is doing me good, so... Hopefully in a few days it will have calmed me enough to drop it all together. I will have to anyway, as I don't want addiction to add to my problems!

Kind regards, GK.

Hey Ginger,

(I hope you don't mind me calling you that. If you do, I can go back to the full name or GK - I just think it's awesome that you call me Beastie/Beastie Boy. (y))

Anyway, that sounds really difficult to cope with and I'm sorry. But I'm so glad that you can recognize everything and have the willpower to not only seek help, but also to be your own advocate. You definitely do sound strong and I admire you for it.

Best wishes,
Beast

G

Ginger Kitten

Beastie Boy and Keesha (sorry I called you Keith the other day, I was a bit mixed up for a few days), thank you both for your thoughtful replies. And Beastie, go ahead and call me Ginger, Ginger Kitten, GK, Kitty, whatever takes your fancy!

Keesha, I experience mixed states rather than mania. In other words, I have all the energy of a high with none of the fun! That's why it's called mixed: I am full of energy ('they' call it psychomotive agitation) but am often miserable, irritable and then downright angry and sometimes shouty. It ain't no fun. I used to get more of the euphoria, but I think the lithium and quetiapine I take knock that on the head. So I rarely experience elation now; I miss hypomania!

Also Keesha, I've been in the 'system' for 10 years and known I had bipolar about 10-15 years before that but couldn't get a pdoc to agree with me: medical negligence certainly, but there were too many docs and pdocs involved to lay the blame at any one person's door. And I'm not a litigious person, but it does seem wrong that my personal tutor at university recognised I had manic depression in 1988 and it took the pdocs 24 years to catch up... (I wasn't diagnosed until 2012.)

Anyway, short story long, I'm beginning to calm down, due partly to starting the day with a 15 minute walking meditation and taking Clonazepam at night. Shame it's addictive, it's a really effective drug for me. Take care both. Kind thoughts, GK.

Backwoods Beast

Backwoods Beast

Keesha, I experience mixed states rather than mania. In other words, I have all the energy of a high with none of the fun! That's why it's called mixed: I am full of energy ('they' call it psychomotive agitation) but am often miserable, irritable and then downright angry and sometimes shouty. It ain't no fun. I used to get more of the euphoria, but I think the lithium and quetiapine I take knock that on the head. So I rarely experience elation now; I miss hypomania!

Ah, good old psychomotive agitation. One of my primary symptoms... Meds have greatly reduced irritability and anger for me. But, like you, elation has also plummeted. Being in the middle is safe, but makes me boring as hell in my opinion. Even in hypomania it's always a mixed state where I'll be depressed but bouncing off the walls. My mind runs a mental marathon sprint without stopping for two seconds to take in the sights. If only we all could figure out how to stay in pleasant hypomania one day, it'd be the best day of my life.