• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Abilify as a rescue med?

• Thread starter Backwoods Beast
  • Start date
Backwoods Beast

Backwoods Beast

Hey folks. Just had an appt with my psych. Been having pretty bad hypomanic symptoms lately. I hate taking meds and have been pretty reluctant to agree to take anything the entire time I've been in treatment. But I'm at a point right now where I gotta do something because I'm freaking out. So he said he'd like to have me try Abilify to help me calm the F down. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance for any and all input you can share.
-Beast

K

keith74

There are people who will take meds on a "per need" basis. Not ideal, but better than not taking any at all. I know of one person who carries around a 5mg olanzapine (an antipsychotic like abilify) and will take it when they feel agitation kicking it. It helps alleviate some of the agitation. However, you may want to also consider a benzo for short term usage. The strong sedation from a benzo can have a much faster impact in reducing agitation and energy. Many hospitals will use a benzo to treat someone in an actute manic episode to calm them down so that they will then be more receptive to trying proper treatment. Gotta be careful with the benzo however since it can be addictive. Only use it short term.

Wife my wife is already on a mood stabilizer, she keeps some leftover olazapine and clonazepam as a an extra backup if she feels a ramp up to mania.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Abilify doesn’t make the best rescue med in the world.
There’s a good chance that Abilify will revv things up not down.
Abilify can be a very activating med that sometimes makes mania worse.

B

BlueWater

Abilify was activating for me when I took it everyday. I was up early cleaning out rooms because I had so much restless energy. I tried taking it every other day. The energy calmed but then I felt no relief from my depression. I stopped taking it after 4 weeks.

I agree with Keith about the benzo option. I know they're not recommended for everyday use, but I take one every night because I have to stop my compulsive thinking. That chilled-out feeling fades over time. It still helps my thinking slow down and I can take extra when I feel panic coming on.

You can take a low dose of Seroquel as needed when you can't sleep or think you don't need to. I briefly tried Seroquel. For me, it was more akin to passing out than sleep, but if I were desperate to shut my mind and body off, I'd take a dose. I liked my mood the day after. Watch out for nausea and night sweats.

I heard Vraylar can be taken every other day. If I were you, I'd ask for an option other than Abilify.

B

BlueWater

FYI, if you take Seroquel consider taking it with a meal.

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

Not at all. I do agree that stuff like benzos can be but I doubt that would be helpful. You should really rethink your stance on medication if you want any long term change.

Amazingly

Amazingly

Benzos make great emergency meds only if one does not have an addictive type personality.
This would be between you and your doctor

K

Keesha

However, you may want to also consider a benzo for short term usage. The strong sedation from a benzo can have a much faster impact in reducing agitation and energy. Many hospitals will use a benzo to treat someone in an actute manic episode to calm them down so that they will then be more receptive to trying proper treatment. Gotta be careful with the benzo however since it can be addictive. Only use it short term.

Wife my wife is already on a mood stabilizer, she keeps some leftover olazapine and clonazepam as a an extra backup if she feels a ramp up to mania.
This was my exact recommendation to him/her last night - a fast acting benzodiazepine like CLONAZEPAM. It’s about 10 times stronger than lorazepam and works very well at settling mania. This is what I took last year when I went into a full manic state and it was almost instant relief.

I also agree that it IS addictive so not recommended as a long term alternative.
Having said that, I have an in-law who has been on lorazepam for approximately 15 years now.

I agree with Keith about the benzo option. I know they're not recommended for everyday use, but I take one every night because I have to stop my compulsive thinking. That chilled-out feeling fades over time. It still helps my thinking slow down and I can take extra when I feel panic coming on.

If I were you, I'd ask for an option other than Abilify.
👍

Please tell us how it went!

C

chargrillwon

i would say it depends on the nature of the freak out. I used it to knock out thought broadcasting delusion and intrusive thoughts. Abilify involves cycling the drug so it’s like an over-a-period-of-time-in-your-blood type mechanism. If you’re really freaking out like losing your mind like I was then yeah I would say go for it. I’m not on it anymore and I don’t like anti psychotics but I’m happy that I was on it for a bit. Hopefully that helps you form your own opinion. Otherwise I would say just get like anti anxiety meds maybe if the freak out isn’t like really bad?

LoqLamp

LoqLamp

i would say it depends on the nature of the freak out. I used it to knock out thought broadcasting delusion and intrusive thoughts. Abilify involves cycling the drug so it’s like an over-a-period-of-time-in-your-blood type mechanism. If you’re really freaking out like losing your mind like I was then yeah I would say go for it. I’m not on it anymore and I don’t like anti psychotics but I’m happy that I was on it for a bit. Hopefully that helps you form your own opinion. Otherwise I would say just get like anti anxiety meds maybe if the freak out isn’t like really bad?

That won’t work. Antipsychotics are not
‘rescue’ drugs. Don’t try and treat them as such.

C

chargrillwon

That won’t work. Antipsychotics are not
‘rescue’ drugs. Don’t try and treat them as such.

yeah I was trying to allude to that: that maybe abilify isnt the best rescue type med.

B

BlueWater

This was my exact recommendation to him/her last night - a fast acting benzodiazepine like CLONAZEPAM. It’s about 10 times stronger than lorazepam and works very well at settling mania. This is what I took last year when I went into a full manic state and it was almost instant relief.

I also agree that it IS addictive so not recommended as a long term alternative.
Having said that, I have an in-law who has been on lorazepam for approximately 15 years now.

👍

Please tell us how it went!
I've been taking a low dose of Clonazepam nightly for a year. It still helps my compulsive thinking turn off. If I feel anxiety and panic building like when I've gotten myself lost in a cleaning frenzy for several hours, taking two Clonazepam will settle me down. But it's best to keep my daily dose low else too much too often makes me depressed.

K

Keesha

I've been taking a low dose of Clonazepam nightly for a year. It still helps my compulsive thinking turn off. If I feel anxiety and panic building like when I've gotten myself lost in a cleaning frenzy for several hours, taking two Clonazepam will settle me down. But it's best to keep my daily dose low else too much too often makes me depressed.
That’s really very interesting. My nurse practitioner put me on a very high dose of Epival hoping that it would settle my compulsive, intrusive thought pattern and nothing worked as wonderful as Clonazepam which she added afterwards.

It truly was miraculous. We were in the midst of moving - buying & selling our house during a pandemic and this prescription drug not only calmed me down but did help tremendously with the intrusive thoughts. It’s impressive.

This drug helped me so much but didn’t give me the feeling of my mind being altered in the least. It helped me settle down enough that life actually became wonderful.

The only drawback is that I slept far more, had less ambition to work out and gained weight . Having said that I’d much rather be overweight than a nervous wreck.

A low dose must be key. Good point.
May I ask you what strength yours were please?

This is a medicine I will make sure I have plenty of. It truly works well for me in some very surprising ways. My nurse practitioner said that being on it long term might not be ideal on paper, but if it’s a medication that works for me and it’s not abused then long term shouldn’t be a concern.

C

chargrillwon

That’s really very interesting. My nurse practitioner put me on a very high dose of Epival hoping that it would settle my compulsive, intrusive thought pattern and nothing worked as wonderful as Clonazepam which she added afterwards.

It truly was miraculous. We were in the midst of moving - buying & selling our house during a pandemic and this prescription drug not only calmed me down but did help tremendously with the intrusive thoughts. It’s impressive.

This drug helped me so much but didn’t give me the feeling of my mind being altered in the least. It helped me settle down enough that life actually became wonderful.

The only drawback is that I slept far more, had less ambition to work out and gained weight . Having said that I’d much rather be overweight than a nervous wreck.

A low dose must be key. Good point.
May I ask you what strength yours were please?

This is a medicine I will make sure I have plenty of. It truly works well for me in some very surprising ways. My nurse practitioner said that being on it long term might not be ideal on paper, but if it’s a medication that works for me and it’s not abused then long term shouldn’t be a concern.

hi Keesha