• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Abilify and diabetes

J

jav

Has anyone developed diabetes as a result of taking Abilify? I know it to be a side affect and am concerned about a relatives health.I want to be able to offer support if the results are positive, which I suspect they will be. thanks

T

Twylight

Hello Jav and Welcome

I'n not exactly sure if it's a side effect directly - but i think it might be the result of weight gain as is true of a lot of anti-psychotics

J

jamesdean

I developed diabeted from olanzapine though it was changed to abilify afterwards because it was a safer option to late really I say once the gate has been opened n the horse bolted, its really strange the diabetes team didnt have a clue whot caused it type 1 diabetes is different to type two, yet the psych remained very quiet because obviously this person knew the answer, I dont ever regret taking the olanzapine though because it heloed me so much, though the abilify are miore of if n when I get to bad/poorly has I now call it, I need to know that I have this safety net though the olanzapine I took religiously with out fail.

P

Paranoid MisterE

I have not been on it for all that long but i hadnt heard this. Interesting as i was on olanzapine before and weight gain was definately a factor but now my weight has stabalised and i am losing weight!! (y)

J

jav

thank you for your really helpful replies. When my relative was put on abilify she was not told there could be a higher risk of developing diabetes, it was our own research that discovered this when she began to show symptoms. My concern is the lack of information given at the time of prescribing and I query how many others have been affected, adding even more stress to their lives. At the moment I feel i need to do something to help but not sure what!thanks.

Last edited:
P

propane

Yes, it causes diabetes.