• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

AAAAArrrrrh!

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
Phoned my CPN as I felt I was holding too many 'secrets' back and was looking for some advice on how to manage a bunch of symptoms that were causing me distress

She said I needed to chill out and do some stress management techniques. I said I was doing everything I knew in this area so she said she would send me some literature to help

I said " well you know what I do for a job and it requires a high level of understanding about stress and how to manage it"

She said "yeh I know but I'll send you the literature anyway"

end of conversation

someone tell me what value she added to the conversation and when i got the literature I wanted to scream - its useless I knew it all - felt well palmed off

Feel frustrated that
1. my knowledge of my condition is not respected ( or my professional knowledge either)
2. she did not seem to be taking the symptoms seriously

C

charlie

Founding Member
I know just how you feel. I have the same problem here. No -one is genuinely interested and they just do the bare minimum or what ever will get rid of you as quickly as possible.
It doesn't have to be like that though.
i used to have a CPN who really cared, who spent loads of time with me, came out when I needed them etc (In Scotland) - now I am just made to feel like nuisance.Sorry - going really high just now but no -one believes me.

D

Dollit

Midnight sweetie a lot of health professionals are scared of expert patients. Sometimes an honest talk is all that is needed. I rang Home Intervention when my kitchen was going bang and the council told me I was perhaps imagining it and they told me if I could verbalize what was happening that I was okay. Oh dear I'm so sorry I'm high functioning, high intellectualizing - shall I be thick and needy instead? Scream away Midnight! :hug: :tea:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
you guys are great for just being there thanks and not only that being people I can relate to too - you seem to have been there and done that too which certainly helps

Z

zoehappygolucky22

Thanks for being here Midnight :hug:
I totally agree I just got a new cpn today after waiting 3months for it and she came didn't even do a risk assessment of me even though I told her im ill in a mania state and keep crying all the time and cant sleep she just told id have to suffer for two weeks I had a argument with her she rings me later for a appointment with a doctor I dont know in a different town

E

Easy Rider

Phoned my CPN as I felt I was holding too many 'secrets' back
This can be a source of psychological stress and tension and anxiety.

In my experience going to a therapist or psychiatrist and opening up to them about all the secrets you're holding back will help a lot. Get it off your chest so to speak. They will listen in an empathetic and non judgmental way.

It is not the things themselves that cause us distress - it is the way we perceive, judge and think about them a lot or some of the time.

In the meantime -

As Mark Twain said

'When we remember we are ALL mad, the mysteries of life disappear and life stands explained."

Don't be too hard on yourself....

Last edited:
anouska

anouska

I never know when I'm in a manic state. I've been sent to hospital though by police on a number of occasions, along with doctors (paramedics), apparently trying to harm myself in their words - losing my life. I have 'Never' fort them, just let them do whatever (other than one particular occasion, where I thought the spiritual world continues if I were to jump from a building, in fact on all occasions if the truth be told) - difficult to explain. Not in the right frame of mind this morning, tired. so long as they don't hold me down and inject me, which has happened, am ok, wouldn't harm a fly. I'm not a criminal.