A Wandering Mind Is an Unhappy Mind

BetaMale

BetaMale

Excellent article!

Unlike other animals, human beings spend a lot of time thinking about what is notgoing on around them, contemplating events that happened in the past, might happen in the future, or will never happen at all. Indeed,“stimulus-independent thought”or“mind wandering”appears to be the brain’s default mode of operation (1–3). Although this ability is a remarkable evolutionary achievement that allows people to learn, reason, and plan, it may have an emotional cost. Many philosophical and religious traditions teach that happiness is to be found by living in the moment, and practitioners are trained to resist mind wandering and “to be here now.” These traditions suggest that a wandering mind is an unhappy mind. Are they right?...
Continue reading at http://www.danielgilbert.com/KILLINGSWORTH%20&%20GILBERT%20(2010).pdf.

T

TinyWeeMouse

Thanks for this - very interesting article. I have recently been studying mindfulness, which seems much more appealing.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

I can see what you mean wondering in the head not the actual moment can be bad if you overdue it

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

I love the article. I believe the devil makes work for idle minds, just as it does for idle hands. Being busy (not frantic but purposely busy), does wonders I think and is what we are made for.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

For anybody else who has cats or dogs - look at their contentment. They're either relaxed and blissful or bouncing around with excitement...just because they don't process memories or think ahead of the moment.

Sometimes, we wake up and feel low or tortured - yet nothing is different between today and yesterday - only the things running through our minds. If we can disregard the emotional drama - accept it has no bearing on anything going on in the real World - it loses power over us.

S

Sarabi_Gyarados

Thank you lunar. I found your post very helpful. The mind is a powerful thing, but it's important to tune it out sometimes. I think the saying 'ignorance is bliss' is very applicable - when you aren't lose in thought, you simply allow yourself to be happy!

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Thank you lunar. I found your post very helpful. The mind is a powerful thing, but it's important to tune it out sometimes. I think the saying 'ignorance is bliss' is very applicable - when you aren't lose in thought, you simply allow yourself to be happy!
A large percentage of what runs through our minds is garbage. The brain is an organ just like our liver or kidneys - processing, filtering and trying to discard toxins. It's possible to tune out those processes just by accepting that mental dialogue as thoughts destined for waste disposal. We don't need to listen.

At this very moment, millions are being born...millions are taking their last breath. This is a huge World and my negative thoughts don't make a scrap of difference to anything or anybody except me. Learning to tune out your mind's babbling and soak in the moment is a huge key to happiness. Right now, I'm safe...warm...fed...enjoying the sensation of warm water on my hands as I wash up. Occupy your mind with what you're doing NOW and it settles like a restless animal being stroked.

Parayana

Parayana

Only when the mind is lost in the past or future is there stress, resting in mindful awareness of the present moment there is only peace. It is the nature of the mind to have thoughts but it is only the nature of the ego to grasp and chase after them into proliferation, let your mind abide in calm awareness of them and they will pass by like clouds on the wind.

Just my 2 pence on what I've learned in meditation.

J

Jules5

My mind is wondering around food right now. I just had this huge dinner am I am still hungry. Weird how this is happening right now for me. My mind is much more than a post card waiting to return.

That is how I feel sometimes. Lights on nobody home type thing.