• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A surgeon's view on mask -wearing

Topcat

Topcat

Lol that is known as false equivalency. A fart vs a virus that is generally suspended in droplets are not really comparable. If your farts were coming out in liquid or phlegm form then maybe, but if they are doing that you may want to get that checked out... Is that what your farts are doing? I am worried about you Top Cat! Maybe more jeans are required to contain the spread.

In all seriousness though I hope you are doing alright despite everything? If not my inbox is still open to you.
Ahem.... I am a lady, I don't fart. I do panty whispers :)
I am doing alright thanks! I hope you are ok too x

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

Wearing a facemask is no panacea, it's not complete protection. BUT, if you are wearing a good quality facemask in a store and everyone else is as well-and everyone is practicing social distancing, washing their hands and so on-it's part of an overall approach to reduce transmission of the virus.

So, I don't buy this 'a facemask can't stop the virus' nonsense. Complete protection, no. Helps protect you, absolutely. I avoid non facemask wearing people in the stores like crazy and so do most other people. Our stores REQUIRE people and employees to wear a mask, they're breaking the law if they don't and could be arrested or fined.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

As someone who studied medical stuff I think both gloves and masks are extremely helpful. When combined they offer protection against antigens and almost teach the user to have clean repetitive habits that can secure abgood immuno response when dealing with poop and other fluids. As for protection against viruses it’s yet to be seen but just like someone keeps there distant from someone with the flu, a mask helps too distance and protect both humans in a sick situation. I have several masks and the heaviest are what I feel have the most protection. They can become habit forming like a piece of jewelry or a comfy sweater. But also serve “immuno warmth” like a heavy sweater in winter time.

N

Nukelavee

I don't base anything on science just my own experiences. I find a mask constrictive my breathing is certainly not so naturally flowing as without one and I become easily disoriented and have panic attacks. As for the oxygen carbon dioxide part it just makes sense to me
Yeah, your opinion gets trumped by actual science.

CO2 molecules are vastly smaller than a virus, as a CO2 molecule is 3 atoms, while a virus is made of up a vast number of molecules, each made up of multiple atoms.

Take 3 single dot LEGO bits, stick them together, toss em through a chainlink fence. That's O2 and CO2 moving through fabric. Now, take several million LEGO bricks, put them together into a single mass, and toss it at teh fence.

Also - that surgeon, Meehan? Lost his license and has been utterly discredited.
I just don't see why people don't get it...it's simple...if you wear a mask you are breathing back in some of your own discarded carbon dioxide instead of fresh oxygen. The natural flow of the breath is being altered and that can only do harm. So many scientists and medical professionals have said this over and over and it falls on the deaf ears of people.
No, just... no.

"

1. Face masks do not decrease your oxygen intake
  2. They also do not make you retain more carbon dioxide than usual
  3. Oxygen and CO2 are very small, so they can easily pass through a face mask
  4. Droplets are much larger in comparison, and they cannot pass easily through a face mask
  5. Wearing face coverings now helps us get back to normal sooner
Last reviewed:
July 2020"

From: https://uihc.org/health-topics/do-face-masks-make-you-retain-carbon-dioxide

There's about 20 more rebutals on the

Topcat

Topcat

They might not decrease your oxygen intake, but I find mine makes me feel like maybe I'm hyperventilating if I put it on after say walking briskly to the shop. It's when I stand still so the only air I'm breathing in is warm, I can walk around the shop as the movement pushes cool air into my face, but when I stand at the tills I suddenly feel like I can't breathe properly. Although I'm the same with steam rooms, I hate breathing hot air.
I don't know if there's anything scientific about that, it's just what I notice!

N

Nukelavee

I'm going to point out that, for those of us who live in cold enough regions, ski masks/scarves around teh lower face are incredibly common in the winter, as protection from teh dry cold air. Nobody has died from breathing through a mask here in Canada ever, so far as I know.

Having said that - I, too, hate that moist warm feeling, but that's just body temp exhaled moisture, not a danger.

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I'm going to point out that, for those of us who live in cold enough regions, ski masks/scarves around teh lower face are incredibly common in the winter, as protection from teh dry cold air. Nobody has died from breathing through a mask here in Canada ever, so far as I know.

Having said that - I, too, hate that moist warm feeling, but that's just body temp exhaled moisture, not a danger.
Really good example! Thanks

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ahem.... I am a lady, I don't fart. I do panty whispers :)
I am doing alright thanks! I hope you are ok too x
To be fair a panty whisper sounds more intimidating than a fart lol

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Yeah, your opinion gets trumped by actual science.

CO2 molecules are vastly smaller than a virus, as a CO2 molecule is 3 atoms, while a virus is made of up a vast number of molecules, each made up of multiple atoms.

Take 3 single dot LEGO bits, stick them together, toss em through a chainlink fence. That's O2 and CO2 moving through fabric. Now, take several million LEGO bricks, put them together into a single mass, and toss it at teh fence.

Also - that surgeon, Meehan? Lost his license and has been utterly discredited.

No, just... no.

"

1. Face masks do not decrease your oxygen intake
  2. They also do not make you retain more carbon dioxide than usual
  3. Oxygen and CO2 are very small, so they can easily pass through a face mask
  4. Droplets are much larger in comparison, and they cannot pass easily through a face mask
  5. Wearing face coverings now helps us get back to normal sooner
Last reviewed:
July 2020"

From: https://uihc.org/health-topics/do-face-masks-make-you-retain-carbon-dioxide

There's about 20 more rebutals on the
My opinion is my opinion and can't be trumped 🙂

I

irwin

I made a plastic shield that attaches to my facemask to protect me from inconsiderate people who refuse to wear a mask. With my respiratory issues, I'd probably die if I got covid-19.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

They might not decrease your oxygen intake, but I find mine makes me feel like maybe I'm hyperventilating if I put it on after say walking briskly to the shop. It's when I stand still so the only air I'm breathing in is warm, I can walk around the shop as the movement pushes cool air into my face, but when I stand at the tills I suddenly feel like I can't breathe properly. Although I'm the same with steam rooms, I hate breathing hot air.
I don't know if there's anything scientific about that, it's just what I notice!
My glasses fog up if I stand still with the facemask on, so I try and keep moving and keep an airflow around my eyeglass lenses. But, it's a small inconvenience if the facemask offers some protection so I just deal with it. Way it is. Next year should be much better for all of us.

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There's already talk among politicians and science "experts" about masks becoming a permanent feature of our lives. :faint:

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I can empathize with those who find wearing a mask very uncomfortable, even distressing. I also have sympathy for anyone angered by authorities telling them they must do it.

I don’t imagine that my comfort level with wearing masks during this pandemic must be the same for everyone, of course that couldn't be true. I'm not looking to shame and blame. I wish people would own their feelings about not wanting to wear a mask rather than project them.

Z

Zaz2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
If we sit back say nothing and allow psychopaths like Trump Gates and Boris to decide how we should live where will it end? In a bad place for humanity that's for sure.