• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A surgeon's view on mask -wearing

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

I would like to see that evidence. Carbon dioxide molecules are tiny for a start and would diffuse through the mask. Even before masks you still breath some of what is expelled back in any way from natural breathing. The amount is what makes Co2 a threat. The amount seems so negligible even pulmonary patients can wear them. I can't see how it can shift blood levels of either O2 or Co2 to any worrying level. If you have a study on that please reference it.
Dr. Margarite Griesz-Brisson MD, PhD is a Consultant Neurologist and Neurophysiologist with a PhD in Pharmacology, with special interest in neurotoxicology, environmental medicine, neuroregeneration and neuroplasticity. This is what she has to say about facemasks and their effects on our brains:

“The reinhalation of our exhaled air will without a doubt create oxygen deficiency and a flooding of carbon dioxide. We know that the human brain is very sensitive to oxygen deprivation. There are nerve cells for example in the hippocampus that can’t be longer than 3 minutes without oxygen – they cannot survive.

The acute warning symptoms are headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, issues in concentration, slowing down of reaction time – reactions of the cognitive system.

However, when you have chronic oxygen deprivation, all of those symptoms disappear, because you get used to it. But your efficiency will remain impaired and the under-supply of oxygen in your brain continues to progress.

We know that neurodegenerative diseases take years to decades to develop. If today you forget your phone number, the breakdown in your brain would have already started 20 or 30 years ago.

While you’re thinking that you have gotten used to wearing your mask and rebreathing your own exhaled air, the degenerative processes in your brain are getting amplified as your oxygen deprivation continues.”

N

natalie

I now have a exemption pass card, due to my speech dissaibilty. With a mask on, my speech becamne much more non to clear in stores, and even would you believ,e at our GP serivces via reception, and in the interim, I had kindly from brother, a an exemption pass card badge, made.

Life is certainly so much easier without a mask, I'll say, than with!

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I don't see how the surgery comparison is relevant.

The question is whether regular people wearing masks along with social distancing, avoiding large gatherings, isolating themselves when symptomatic or sick, helps reduce the spread of Covid. There is ample science which support these as precautionary measures. It's not fool proof, it's better than not.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

How did someone put it to me... If thick denim jeans cannot hold back a fart, how does a mask hold back a virus? :D
Lol that is known as false equivalency. A fart vs a virus that is generally suspended in droplets are not really comparable. If your farts were coming out in liquid or phlegm form then maybe, but if they are doing that you may want to get that checked out... Is that what your farts are doing? I am worried about you Top Cat! Maybe more jeans are required to contain the spread.

This video is for you it has a section on farts vs virus particles as well.

In all seriousness though I hope you are doing alright despite everything? If not my inbox is still open to you.

whatever dirt you have transferred from hands after fiddling with your mask all day.
Yeah there are problems there masks become contaminants after a while. Disposable means disposable, not put it on a surface for half the day, then pick it up and reuse it again. Or dispose of it on a beach or on the floor. All the hand washing comes into play as well as distancing. But it is is like the advice has been broken into bits like each is seperate. Does not help when my own government officials break their own rules. Double standards just create resentment. Now it seems like many are understandably unsure of pretty much anything.

E

Elisante

Dr. Margarite Griesz-Brisson MD, PhD is a Consultant Neurologist and Neurophysiologist with a PhD in Pharmacology, with special interest in neurotoxicology, environmental medicine, neuroregeneration and neuroplasticity. This is what she has to say about facemasks and their effects on our brains:

“The reinhalation of our exhaled air will without a doubt create oxygen deficiency and a flooding of carbon dioxide. We know that the human brain is very sensitive to oxygen deprivation. There are nerve cells for example in the hippocampus that can’t be longer than 3 minutes without oxygen – they cannot survive.

The acute warning symptoms are headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, issues in concentration, slowing down of reaction time – reactions of the cognitive system.

However, when you have chronic oxygen deprivation, all of those symptoms disappear, because you get used to it. But your efficiency will remain impaired and the under-supply of oxygen in your brain continues to progress.

We know that neurodegenerative diseases take years to decades to develop. If today you forget your phone number, the breakdown in your brain would have already started 20 or 30 years ago.

While you’re thinking that you have gotten used to wearing your mask and rebreathing your own exhaled air, the degenerative processes in your brain are getting amplified as your oxygen deprivation continues.”
I guess that's why I have a headache every time I happen to wear a mask.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

The mask doesn't protect from simple viruses and people insist that it will protect you from corona.
That depends what you mean by protect? Protect 100% no. Reduce risk, yeah there is some good evidence there but it is not outright definitive but suggestive of moving towards consensus. Its amidst my mess of earlier links. Sorry about that.

I find a mask constrictive my breathing is certainly not so naturally flowing as without one and I become easily disoriented and have panic attacks. As for the oxygen carbon dioxide part it just makes sense to me 🙂
Sorry to hear they are quite distressing to you. If they provoke that you can get exempted. You may have done so already. My friends son has Autism he can't stand the feel of them on his face. Reacts to them like they are mash potato something he really hates. Challenging times.

Dr. Margarite Griesz-Brisson MD, PhD is a Consultant Neurologist and Neurophysiologist with a PhD in Pharmacology,
Thanks for the reference point. I will look into them further after sleep stops being elusive.

L

Laudanum

I look at it through an analogy: Wearing a mask is like throwing mud through thin-mesh chicken wire. Some of it will stick to the joins, some of it will pass through the holes.

If some of it gets through it might reduce the viral load on the recipient, but they can't be completely effective.

DanL15000

DanL15000

Here is where some points can actually make a case for the mask.

So you are breathing in more of your own exhaled air? Good! That's less for others to breath. Point made, less chance of catching COVID if everyone wears a mask.

IF wearing a mask truly restricts breathing? Wear a face shield. I've got COPD, I still wear a mask.

It seems like the best argument I can think of is, look at the people who wear masks. They are trying to protect you!

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Some interesting responses - thank you.

My view has always been that wearing a mask is a bit like sheltering under a tree during a rainstorm - it's not going to provide 100% protection but it will reduce exposure to the quantity of viral load expelled by others.

However...whilst I still think a clean mask offers a modicum of protection, I am certain that dirty masks increase the chances of virus spread...and lots of people are re-wearing used masks as a cosmetic show of compliance to the rules.

I had an engineer turn up at my house with a grubby, paper mask which he told me he'd been wearing for two days because his company only provided a pack of ten to last the week. This prompted a string of letters from me - including one to my MP saying that the Government message should focus on mask hygiene and shielded members of the community should be sent one pack of masks and one pack of plastic shoe coverings to offer to visiting trades people.

I am more concerned that the people I'm circulating with in shops are wearing used face coverings - and I'm revolted by the sight of discarded paper masks littering the pavements. I do appreciate that many are scrupulous and vigilant - but I've seen so many folk pulling crumpled, paper masks out of jean pockets before they enter shops...it doesn't inspire confidence!

Topcat

Topcat

I have to say, the face shields seem almost completely pointless. Your breath is free to roam under and around, I guess if you cough or sneeze you can fill the inside with spray :LOL: (they must also make it hard to cover your mouth with a tissue or the inside of your elbow)

DanL15000

DanL15000

Some interesting responses - thank you.

My view has always been that wearing a mask is a bit like sheltering under a tree during a rainstorm - it's not going to provide 100% protection but it will reduce exposure to the quantity of viral load expelled by others.

However...whilst I still think a clean mask offers a modicum of protection, I am certain that dirty masks increase the chances of virus spread...and lots of people are re-wearing used masks as a cosmetic show of compliance to the rules.

I had an engineer turn up at my house with a grubby, paper mask which he told me he'd been wearing for two days because his company only provided a pack of ten to last the week. This prompted a string of letters from me - including one to my MP saying that the Government message should focus on mask hygiene and shielded members of the community should be sent one pack of masks and one pack of plastic shoe coverings to offer to visiting trades people.

I am more concerned that the people I'm circulating with in shops are wearing used face coverings - and I'm revolted by the sight of discarded paper masks littering the pavements. I do appreciate that many are scrupulous and vigilant - but I've seen so many folk pulling crumpled, paper masks out of jean pockets before they enter shops...it doesn't inspire confidence!
True, reusable masks should be washed daily. It is no hard chore to hand wash them before bed and by morning they are dry. Frequent hand washing eliminates concerns of adjusting a mask.

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
I've had the experience of feeling somebody's unbridled sneeze land on my skin. :eek2: Gross!

The Government message in UK concerning our Flu season has always been "Catch it, bin it, kill it". If sneezing into a tissue goes some way to protecting other people from our cold germs then wearing a mask seems logical.

Interestingly, Hong Kong did not have a virulent spread of Flu this year because of mask-wearing and they have one of the densest populations in a small area.

Another perspective linked below to contrast with Meehan:

Still Confused About Masks? Here’s the Science Behind How Face Masks Prevent Coronavirus