• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A surgeon's view on mask -wearing

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Just linked a surgeon's view on the efficacy of wearing a face mask to protect against Covid. His stance is that it offers no protection against the virus - he says a surgeon would not be permitted in the operating theatre with any sort of virus because a mask would not contain the spread of infection to the patient.

This is worrying as adhering to mask-wearing may be giving us a false sense of security.

Has the Government imposed these rules to stop the nation panicking so some semblance of normality can resume? Is anyone collating reliable data about Covid transmission when appropriate PPE has been worn?

E

Elisante

I posted the same some days ago.

There is no reliable data about covid, the government officials constantly change everything they tell us (the symptom list, where you are and where you are not safe, ages of people that are in danger, ways of transmission). It's all spin.

DanL15000

DanL15000

Encyclopedia of American Loons ^^^^^^^

E

Elisante

Conspiracy theorist or not, nobody can deny that a sick doctor wouldn't be allowed to perform surgery just because he wore a mask.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

What's worrying is the lack of clarity. The false sense of security is a failure to communicate effectively with the populace the role of masks in a multi faceted approach to risk reduction. I am tired right now but I will get back to this. Thanks Dan you beat me to it on Meehan. Sick of his ilk. Since this is worrying to see posted I will leave the raw sources now and structure it later. Forgive the crudeness.

Something accessible to read.

Not so much.

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

I just don't see why people don't get it...it's simple...if you wear a mask you are breathing back in some of your own discarded carbon dioxide instead of fresh oxygen. The natural flow of the breath is being altered and that can only do harm. So many scientists and medical professionals have said this over and over and it falls on the deaf ears of people.
The only purpose a mask serves is to create an image of a society where people conform to whatever they are told by governments and to symbolise the end of freedom of speech which has been stripped away from people for years.
Human race...get off your knees 🙂

Y

Yakamoz

There is no reliable data about covid
that´s scientific gain in insight - knowing (in science) is generally not safe. And if data are unsure, meta-data may give further advice.
In case of corona the financial times (ft.com/coronavirus-latest) maintain a good meta-data-analysis about the additional death rates by comparing country-specific values to values over many years. There you can see that something "significant" is happening and you can start to investigate the factors between the different Countries...

Topcat

Topcat

How did someone put it to me... If thick denim jeans cannot hold back a fart, how does a mask hold back a virus? :D
I can see that covering your mouth and nose must reduce the amount of droplets you exhale, or at least reduce the distance they might travel from your mouth, but I also agree with the fact you are also re-breathing your own exhalations and whatever dirt you have transferred from hands after fiddling with your mask all day. The carbon dioxide issue must be the worst with those cotton homemade style masks, I can't hear a word people say behind them when I'm at work.
Not a scientific experiment, but my son's physio who gets coughed at regularly as part of her job said she hasn't caught as many colds since having to wear PPE for every appointment.

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

How did someone put it to me... If thick denim jeans cannot hold back a fart, how does a mask hold back a virus? :D
I can see that covering your mouth and nose must reduce the amount of droplets you exhale, or at least reduce the distance they might travel from your mouth, but I also agree with the fact you are also re-breathing your own exhalations and whatever dirt you have transferred from hands after fiddling with your mask all day. The carbon dioxide issue must be the worst with those cotton homemade style masks, I can't hear a word people say behind them when I'm at work.
Not a scientific experiment, but my son's physio who gets coughed at regularly as part of her job said she hasn't caught as many colds since having to wear PPE for every appointment.
I get that too with a mask I can't hear properly it's strange. I also look like I'm a criminal on the prowl 🙂

E

Elisante

that´s scientific gain in insight - knowing (in science) is generally not safe. And if data are unsure, meta-data may give further advice.
In case of corona the financial times (ft.com/coronavirus-latest) maintain a good meta-data-analysis about the additional death rates by comparing country-specific values to values over many years. There you can see that something "significant" is happening and you can start to investigate the factors between the different Countries...
I don't trust them anymore.

What does science say about outdoor gatherings of 20.000 people with no masks? All next to each other? According to our media, it's not dangerous. But getting in a shop without a mask is. I don't get the scientific explanation behind this.

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

So many scientists and medical professionals have said this over and over and it falls on the deaf ears of people.
I would like to see that evidence. Carbon dioxide molecules are tiny for a start and would diffuse through the mask. Even before masks you still breath some of what is expelled back in any way from natural breathing. The amount is what makes Co2 a threat. The amount seems so negligible even pulmonary patients can wear them. I can't see how it can shift blood levels of either O2 or Co2 to any worrying level. If you have a study on that please reference it.

Zaz2020

Zaz2020

I would like to see that evidence. Carbon dioxide molecules are tiny for a start and would diffuse through the mask. Even before masks you still breath some of what is expelled back in any way from natural breathing. The amount is what makes Co2 a threat. The amount seems so negligible even pulmonary patients can wear them. I can't see how it can shift blood levels of either O2 or Co2 to any worrying level. If you have a study on that please reference it.
I don't base anything on science just my own experiences. I find a mask constrictive my breathing is certainly not so naturally flowing as without one and I become easily disoriented and have panic attacks. As for the oxygen carbon dioxide part it just makes sense to me 🙂