• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

A stranger in the street said to me I looked like a sphere

P

Purpleplum

Did the woman who said that to you have a perfect body?
Your body is the way it is from your genes. I'm sure somewhere in your family someone has a body type just like yours. We can't fight genes. I grew up wanting to be the long bonesd ultra tall model type but I didn't inherit those genes. We have to accept what we have and make the best of what we have if we can. We then have to ignore other people's comments and learn how to speak up to other people when they say things like that to us. Always keep a comeback answer in mind.

Annelis

Annelis

Well as I said most women in my family are not thin. Actually I weigh approximately the same as my mother and I'm 15 cm taller than her so I think I don't look the worst I could given my genes .. the woman who said it.. well .. I would say she was fatter than me actually.. I'm not quite sure, I was told many times that I don't seem to have the ability to see my body accurately or compare it with others..
I know there's not much I can do about it, I mean I have an aunt who decided to fight the genetics and she is really thin but she looks like disgustingly thin, I think she barely eats at all.. and I don't think I want to end up like that.
I wish I could just drop the incident behind, but when I woke up today that was my first thought; that I'm a sphere.. and all day it's been haunting me. Actually I only ate two eggs, a tortilla and a cup of coffee... I hate myself for that but I just can't bring myself to eat.. I keep thinking it will make me more spherelike...

P

Purpleplum

Well as I said most women in my family are not thin. Actually I weigh approximately the same as my mother and I'm 15 cm taller than her so I think I don't look the worst I could given my genes .. the woman who said it.. well .. I would say she was fatter than me actually.. I'm not quite sure, I was told many times that I don't seem to have the ability to see my body accurately or compare it with others..
I know there's not much I can do about it, I mean I have an aunt who decided to fight the genetics and she is really thin but she looks like disgustingly thin, I think she barely eats at all.. and I don't think I want to end up like that.
I wish I could just drop the incident behind, but when I woke up today that was my first thought; that I'm a sphere.. and all day it's been haunting me. Actually I only ate two eggs, a tortilla and a cup of coffee... I hate myself for that but I just can't bring myself to eat.. I keep thinking it will make me more spherelike...
Did you think you looked like a sphere before this woman said that? If you didn't think that before and no one else did, why are you letting one woman's opinion change that?
Don't let people destroy your life or steal your joy. Life is too short. You will regret when you get older that you wasted your time letting others take anything away from you.

Annelis

Annelis

I knew I was fat before she said it, I just never verbalised it like this, and I was already damaged and obsessing about how horrible I look and had difficulties eating normally, I had periods of time when it was more manageable and I was more ok eating and not thinking about my ugliness, and periods when it was horrible and I couldn't see myself in the mirror and couldn't eat normally.. this woman's comment just triggered the worse period to come. And made it worse by giving me these new words to describe what I see in the mirror.

Yes I'm aware that most of my life probably is a waste of time and I often imagine that some old form of me is staring at me from a mirror blaming me for wasting my life .. but I guess my joy had been stolen from me years ago by other people, so perhaps this doesn't matter much anymore.