• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

A stranger in the street said to me I looked like a sphere

Annelis

Annelis

I was bringing shopping home from the car when a woman who lives in the same street and we usually greet each other said I looked like a sphere! 😱😭😨
And since then it repeated itself in my head for like thousands times.. and I feel like I never want to eat again. I know it's wrong. I know I'm fat, but if a stranger has to say it to me like this it must be really horrible. My friend made me have dinner. I think I can feel my fat growing and the food will make me even more fat and spherelike ... All women in my family look like this, no matter how they eat or how much they exercise. I don't want to be so fat but I guess I don't have a choice. But at least why must other people talk about it?!

PerpetuallyStuck

PerpetuallyStuck

I hate it when people criticise. It's ridiculous when it is from people you know well, it is like a betrayal. You should eat normally, it is better to stay as you are, than to go without eating at all. That is so so dangerous. The best thing to do would be to exercise and eat healthy food. Don't ever go overboard.

I get criticised for being thin. No matter how much I eat or put on weight, people still dismiss me and make me out to be a joke. It is frustrating and people can't help but be judgemental about it. For all the people who criticise others for having weight, there are plenty who criticise for being the opposite. It's like no matter what you are, there are going to be people who have a go at you. Just try to be proud of who you are, and I'm sure you look ok.

JessisMe

JessisMe

I was bringing shopping home from the car when a woman who lives in the same street and we usually greet each other said I looked like a sphere! 😱😭😨
And since then it repeated itself in my head for like thousands times.. and I feel like I never want to eat again. I know it's wrong. I know I'm fat, but if a stranger has to say it to me like this it must be really horrible. My friend made me have dinner. I think I can feel my fat growing and the food will make me even more fat and spherelike ... All women in my family look like this, no matter how they eat or how much they exercise. I don't want to be so fat but I guess I don't have a choice. But at least why must other people talk about it?!
That was ridiculous and cruel of that woman.
What a stupid thing for her to say.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Please eat, you'd feel terrible and become quite poorly if you don't.
It was horrible for you to be treated in that way, I'm so sorry.
Hugs

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Don't let comments get to you, because it is about them, not you.

I remember all of the ones i have had -

Why don't you fuck off and die (20 years old)
I wish you had nearly died and not my daughter (16 years old by friend's mum)
Is your sunbed broken (16 years old in Italy)
Your legs are so white you shouldn't wear skirts (about a month ago)
I hate you (age 15 in school by someone i hardly knew)
If you were fat i wouldn't be your boyfriend (age 17)
So many more, many many more, and many by family too that are far more hurtful.

It is very important to not let these comments affect you. The only comments worth anything are those coming from people who love you, are trying to help you like a boss, or yourself.

Any comment that is not constructive for your benefit by someone who cares, erase from your mind.

P

Purpleplum

You should have told her to eff off and then told her what object SHE looks like. Don't let someone do this to you. People cut others down to build themselves up. She did it to make herself feel superior.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I'd have asked her to spell that word. I bet she couldn't ;)

Annelis

Annelis

I wish I could just erase it.. but I just can't get it out of my mind. Every time I pass a mirror I keep glancing at me and somehow checking if I really am a sphere..

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I have very pale skin and don't like that about me, and i look probably not as good in a skirt as those with darker skin, but this is how i look. I thought about what colours i should wear that would suit my skin tone. Some colours don't suit me like they would with someone with darker skin.

I am sure you don't look like Violet B from Charlie and the chocolate factory!
I am a pear
Are you an apple?

It is just a body shape, so what, we have to wear what suits us and makes us feel confident.

We can lose weight and dress better but feel good about yourself that you would never tell someone they looked like a sphere because you would never hurt someone like that. What sort of person says that kind of thing? It is shocking to do that or to make any negative comment.

Maybe that person has a reason for being cold and unkind. I would not think any more of it and accept that some people say things like that and it is all about them and not about you.

Your appearance is what it is. It changes as we go through life. We can make it look a bit better by looking after ourselves but overall, we just have to be happy, healthy and a nice person and do good things in our life. How we look doesn't matter that much.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
STRONG IS THE NEW PRETTY

A teenager was wearing a tee shirt with that on in town the other day.

Faith198

Faith198

wow what is wrong with people?! You don’t look like a sphere and they shouldn’t say anything at all. Honestly, I really think people get a thrill out of insulting others. I have had so many things said to me. I will tell you this though, just because someone says something to you doesn’t mean it’s true. You just happened to run into the wrong person at the wrong time. Please don’t let it affect you, it is just an ignorant pos person.

P

Purpleplum

Just by one thing we hear about our bodies, a woman's life can be torn apart. These are the kinds of things that can lead to eating disorders. Most women have heard something about their body at one time that made them feel horrible. Don't let people do this to you. Their opinion means nothing and who are they to judge?
You don't know them. They could think a gorgeous model looks too fat or has a big nose.

Annelis

Annelis

I know it shouldn't affect me.. my mom said she saw that woman looking into trash bins and that she's just wierd and I shouldn't take her seriously. But it is still stuck in my head. I already had very hard time making myself eat normally and be ok with my body thanks to my father and what he said and did to me as a child, but I was able to cope more or less. But this just struck me so badly. I know I should ignore it but I don't know how. Tonight I had a friend over for some board games, and I noticed I was scared to stand up from behind a table so as not to let him notice I'm a sphere... I just don't know how to make myself ok again..

Miy

Miy

Think about this....

Let's say you exercise and make yourself not look like a sphere anymore. Will you feel better about life in general? Will life be easier if you're thinner? The people who are already around you don't care about your weight. Unless you are very unhealthy and putting your life in danger by being incredibly overweight your friends and family aren't going to push you away. Weight doesn't define a person. People are made up of so much more than just their physical body; we have personalities and obviously your neighbor has an ugly personality if she feels the need to point out something like this. She needs to mind her own business. I don't know what media commercials and such are like where you're from but here in the US it shows a lot of women that are really thin and super pretty but when I look around literally none of my friends and family look like that and I don't care. I don't know you or what you actually look like but when I see someone what I try to look at is their outlook on life -- are they happy? I make it my goal to try everything I can to lift them up and that's what I'm trying to do now. You are you and that means you're perfect! Smile for me, and everyone on here who reached out to you. Don't let some random woman make you doubt yourself. She doesn't wake up every morning and see your face in the mirror. She only sees her ugly reflection.

Sorry for the looooong response but I hate knowing new friends are unhappy.