A Quote that Stuck with Me

W

Watamote

"He who fears he will suffer, already suffers from his fears." ~ Michel de Montaigne

When I read this it got me thinking how much my social anxiety has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Every situation that I can think of outside of my comfort zone already has a bad end in my head, which leads me into a vicious cycle of wanting to do something, but ultimately talking myself out of it because it's not worth the risk. So in the end, my greatest fear has already won before the game even starts. Which puts me into a bad place and renders the entire day pointless.

Parayana

Parayana

For me it's not the fear that's the problem it's getting caught up in it and believing the real "me" is experiencing it. Seen that quote before on a Buddhist forum, the Buddha himself culd have said it.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

"He who fears he will suffer, already suffers from his fears." ~ Michel de Montaigne

When I read this it got me thinking how much my social anxiety has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Every situation that I can think of outside of my comfort zone already has a bad end in my head, which leads me into a vicious cycle of wanting to do something, but ultimately talking myself out of it because it's not worth the risk. So in the end, my greatest fear has already won before the game even starts. Which puts me into a bad place and renders the entire day pointless.
I like the quote, very deep and there's a lot of truth to it

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

For me it's not the fear that's the problem it's getting caught up in it and believing the real "me" is experiencing it. Seen that quote before on a Buddhist forum, the Buddha himself culd have said it.
Which Buddhist forums are good to go on?

I like to read about deep stuff and sayings

Parayana

Parayana

@soulsearcher, Buddhist forums are usually for discussions for students about fairly advanced topics. If you want to start with some good sayings you can do no better than the Dhammapada, if no other teachings had survived except for meditation here is the whole of the path.

e-book link: https://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/scrndhamma.pdf

Its full of short succint sayings.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

@soulsearcher, Buddhist forums are usually for discussions for students about fairly advanced topics. If you want to start with some good sayings you can do no better than the Dhammapada, if no other teachings had survived except for meditation here is the whole of the path.

e-book link: https://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/scrndhamma.pdf

Its full of short succint sayings.
Thanks mate, I'll check it out

Are the forums not open to newbies who'd just like to learn more about Buddhism?

Parayana

Parayana

Yeah there are, it's just some like Dharma and Dhamma wheel are a bit Buddhist fundie so I stay away from them. New Buddhist is a rather good open minded forum with topics for all levels. I only post there occaasionally these days, but @Kerome is active on there.

soulsearcher

soulsearcher

Yeah there are, it's just some like Dharma and Dhamma wheel are a bit Buddhist fundie so I stay away from them. New Buddhist is a rather good open minded forum with topics for all levels. I only post there occaasionally these days, but @Kerome is active on there.
cool I'll check it out

L

Laudanum

You have more chance of success by attempting something than by not attempting it at all, even if it takes several goes. I would recommend 'Feel the Fear and do it anyway' by Susan Jeffers. Here's a few samples: Susan Jeffers