• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A Question... Oh and Hi btw

R

Redbus

Hey, I'm new to this forum. I've got a question for those of you who know alot about mental disorders, and since I can't find a section for such things, I will post it here;

I was diagnosed at somewhere about 9-12 with mild Aspergers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergers). For those of you who do not know what this is, Aspergers is a disorder with traits similar to that of Autism, although milder and without any form of retardation. People with Aspergers suffer from poor social skills, especially vocal tone and body language comprehension and use. They often also have clumsy motor skills, speak in monotone, cannot operate without a rigid timetable, are extra sensitive to bright lights or sounds, and are often obsessed with an obscure topic(such as train timetables for instance).

But the thing is, the only one of these things that affects me is poor social skills. None of the other symptoms affect me in the slightest. I hate routine, can't stand train timetables or other obscure information, have normal motor skills, use gesture and vocal tones in conversation, etc etc.

The problem here, is not that I don't know how to interact with other people, its that if I am put into an unfamiliar social situation I become paralyzed with fear that I will say or do something inappropriate. I become so paralyzed that I find it almost impossible to make the first 'moves' in getting to know the people around me. If someone starts talking to me, then I can often befriend them and sometimes make friends with their friends(depending on who they are of course), but if not, I am helpless to create these social relationships on my own initiative.

So what I want to know, is can anyone think of some kind of mental disorder that I could possibly have instead of Aspergers? I've tried to find information with little success, so I know next to nothing about any other mental health disorders. Please help!

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi There Redbus and :welcome: to the forum

None of us on here are able to diagnose but sounds like your sypmtoms do sounds like a social anxiety issue but they could be part of your Aspergers...
Have you ever had help with coping with this aspect of your aspergers.. some sort of therepy such as CBT?

Take care and once again:welcome:

Intelgal

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Redbus

And :welcome:,

I agree with Intelgal, might be worth seeing if you can get some further help to help you overcome your anxieties. Have a chat with your GP and see if they can refer you for some therapy or treatment.

Take Care
Sapphire

R

Redbus

Thanks for the warm welcome people. No, I haven't had any therapy, I didn't know such a thing could be used to help me. As I said earlier, I have next to no information on this disorder, of other mental disorders, or of any kind of treatment.

Are there any other mental disorders that produce social anxiety issues? I need to know this because I'm not satisfied with my diagnosis of Aspergers. I mean, why diagnose me with this if I only show one symptom which could possibly be the result of something else? Its like someone coughing once and being diagnosed with whooping cough, or they get the flu and are diagnosed with swine flu. It just seems excessive.

Last edited: