• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A question for those with psychosis/psychotic like symptoms

F

firemonkee57

Do you find that pdocs pay scant attention to your non psychotic symptoms, or adopt an approach of treat the psychotic symptoms which are seen as primary in terms of clinical severity and the other symptoms will also reduce? .
I have no treatment specifically for the general/social anxiety and what appears to be agoraphobia. I have mentioned about the comfort zone and the fact I'm restricted as to where I go but I think it is only superficially acknowledged.
I have a belief that the thinking is treat the paranoia/other 'psychotic' symptoms which are seen as primary in terms of clinical severity and the other symptoms may improve. In my experience this isn't the case.
Also thrown into the mix are social difficulties(acknowledged to some extent but minimal help and support) and possible learning difficulties(non verbal learning disorder/dyspraxia) which are undiagnosed/unrecognised by the pdocs. I did mention it to a care co- ordinator when I had one and she
arranged an appointment with the pdoc but he dismissed my concerns after asking less than 3 questions. I think it was a case of "I very much doubt you have a learning difficulty because we have described you as highly/very intelligent".

In terms of managing my 'deficits' I have got by by avoiding things involving those skills and with help primarily from my youngest step daughter.

F

flatz

I think it varies for me, around a year ago in the psych clinic I had a meeting with a pdoc and all he talked about was the auditory hallucinations I experience.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The dominant paradigm is biomedical psychiatry/psychopharmacology - it's a biomedical issue, diagnose it, administer some drugs, & as long as the patient is complaint & socially controlled - then it's job done.

F

firemonkee57

& as long as the patient is complaint
There is only so long you can fight your corner before you get psychologically burnt out and end up like Murphy after the lobotomy.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There is only so long you can fight your corner before you get psychologically burnt out and end up like Murphy after the lobotomy.
i've seen/see incredibly few genuinely fighting for genuine alternatives - What i have seen/see is the vast majority defending the current system/paradigm of pathology/label/drug - & i don't see what position a lot of people are in to then complain about the way everything is - they've argued for it all/defended it all/acquiesced to it all.

Ironically i also haven't seen many of the critics arguing for genuine alternatives either.

i think collectively humanity has created & has what it deserves.

shaky

shaky

i've seen/see incredibly few genuinely fighting for genuine alternatives - What i have seen/see is the vast majority defending the current system/paradigm of pathology/label/drug - & i don't see what position a lot of people are in to then complain about the way everything is - they've argued for it all/defended it all/acquiesced to it all.

Ironically i also haven't seen many of the critics arguing for genuine alternatives either.

i think collectively humanity has created & has what it deserves.
:offtopic:
The OP isn't about biomedical model vs others
it's about having more than one 'problem' but only the psychocis sbeing addressed.

I think that for me, all the symptoms that come along with the psychosis disappear with the anti-psych - mood stabilising drugs that I don't take.
So they can happily give me one sedative and I'm normal looking.
They DO take notice of my wild mood-swings as well as the psychosis - so I can't complain about that.
I even had a discussion with a psychiatrist about my unusual beliefs and life style when I am well - but he has retired now.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:offtopic:
The OP isn't about biomedical model vs others
it's about having more than one 'problem' but only the psychocis sbeing addressed.
It's not off topic - the primary reason why it's like it is, is because of the dominant biomedical system - that is the reality of how it operates.

C

Christobel

I have found that my psychosis has dominated all my appointments with the psychiatrist. I was unfortunate enough to have a strange bizarre delusion (I thought I was a well-known person). Although I subsequently became very depressed I had great difficulty in getting them to forget about the delusion and concentrate on my other problems.

SarahD

SarahD

They do just care about psychosis. I was left very depressed after several severe long lasting side effects from drugs that had not helped me, psychiatrist wasn't very interested. Now that I am psychotic again everyone is jumping around trying to medicate me.

The critical psychiatry people who are against the medical model just want to change the system, they are too busy writing books to want to help a struggling individual. (I tried to get advice.)

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
They do just care about psychosis. I was left very depressed after several severe long lasting side effects from drugs that had not helped me, psychiatrist wasn't very interested. Now that I am psychotic again everyone is jumping around trying to medicate me.

The critical psychiatry people who are against the medical model just want to change the system, they are too busy writing books to want to help a struggling individual. (I tried to get advice.)
It's very hard. There are good people out there & a few who are willing to help - but the entire society/culture is infected with some kind of collective sickness.

T

Trainur

I agree with that psychologically burnt out fightging your own corner. It's uncanny to be aware that against your own will your thoughts could change by sheer force of the situation at some point soon in the future.

To answer you, I also noticed when sectioned jesus christ they don't give a crap about emotions nad real stuff it's just a list of clinical symptoms such as delusion and all of that. Secondly, whilst on it, if you get put in a hospital, sectioned, you're only going to come out with serious diagnosis's eg psychosis, schizo, depression, bipolar because those are the only ones which have as a symptom serious dysfunction hence why they believe you got sectioned.

T

Tickettyboo

It seems like quite an unusual experience from this thread, but my psychiatrist ignored my psychosis-like symptoms. Even though I took an overdose due to a delusional belief that I was in a television show and an overdose was part of the plot, she felt that no medication was needed. And any psychosis-like symptoms I described (frequent voices, seeing things, delusions, paranoia, all of which lasted for a loooong time) she declared were anxiety-based, no matter what emotional state I was in at the time of the psychosis-like symptoms. She didn't take my thoughts very seriously, I suggested that medication would help and she said this was wrong, and then continued to suggest lifestyle changes (all of which I have followed to no avail).

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I can understand other pdocs feeling that psychotic-like symptoms are the most salient considering they are primarily dealt with using medication, and are therefore quicker and easier. But I still feel it is incredibly important to deal with other symptoms, as they may well lead to worsening of psychotic-like symptoms and general dysfunction. Even so, every symptom should be taken seriously, as you obviously feel they are impacting your life significantly enough to be focused on.

I've found that stating clearly "This is what has been causing me the most distress/difficulty..." should be sufficient to at least start a dialogue. If not, maybe try seeing a different pdoc or some other kind of therapist (clinical psychologist if possible) for more talk therapy-based treatment.

SarahD

SarahD

Yes it is strange how psychiatrists seem to make up their minds regardless of the patient's symptoms sometimes, or what the lived experience of those symptoms is. They seem to have their own inscrutable agenda. They just seem to ignore or disregard some of the things that are most important to the patient.

F

firemonkee57

They ramble on about 'insight' but if you are aware of something that they haven't cottoned onto and you press the point then they regard you as a PITA.

T

Trainur

I wouldn't say the one suggesting the natural real cause of positive psychosis symptoms is anxiety based/extreme nervousness but I suppose when it's gotten to the stage of hearing voices etc and suicide caused by thought disorder/delusion then perhaps the drug is used. I wish I had your one though because I've been forced to take the drug and have zero positive symptoms - I'm just reclusive. Perhaps I have thought disorder but qutie honestly I'm so logical I doubt scientifically that I actually do. My thoughts aren't disordered.