• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

A question about schizophrenia

K

krour327

Hi, i have a very close friend who suffers from schizophrenia. He recently told me something that has been playing on my mind for a while now. He told me that when he was younger, he used to have an 'imaginary friend' who he would often converse with. He said he used to 'tell him things' and 'explain things' to this imaginary friend. Him and his family moved out to canada for a few years when he was 8, and they returned back to the UK when he was about 11. He said that his 'imaginary friend' isn't around much now. Im just trying to understand, is this normal for a schizophrenic? I mean the fact that his imaginary friend wasn't around after he moved?

Thanks

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

I can't say - it does not tally with me - I had real friends as a kid. But experiences vary they will tell you.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I wouldn't necessarily say it's schizophrenic behaviour.
I had an imaginary friend, who 'disappeared' when I moved house.
To be honest, I just got bored of pretending but didn't want to admit she wasn't real in the first place. :whistle:
I'm not schizophrenic, by the way.

R

Rose19602

I agree with Somerset. I think that imaginary friends in childhood have nothing to do with mental illness. It's more likely that he has schizophrenia and coincidentally had these experiences with an imaginary friend.

It's nice that you're looking out for him though.
x

BillFish

BillFish

Hi, i have a very close friend who suffers from schizophrenia. He recently told me something that has been playing on my mind for a while now. He told me that when he was younger, he used to have an 'imaginary friend' who he would often converse with. He said he used to 'tell him things' and 'explain things' to this imaginary friend. Him and his family moved out to canada for a few years when he was 8, and they returned back to the UK when he was about 11. He said that his 'imaginary friend' isn't around much now. Im just trying to understand, is this normal for a schizophrenic? I mean the fact that his imaginary friend wasn't around after he moved?

Thanks
Put it this way, I've been reading mental health forums for 15 years and have never seen a reference to it me thinks, at least not in the context of schizophrenia, and don't recall an adult schizophrenic referring to it either. I think the film " A beautiful mind" gave everybody the idea we are all shadowed by hallucinatory friends.
Hang on, the apparition next to me has just informed me otherwise, my bad:meanie: