A question about obsession

D

Dugholes

Hello all and thank you in advance.

I'm pretty sure I used to? have OCD. When I was a kid, I had to do everything in 5's, 10's etc.

Then, at around 23, I got bored of it and just sorta stopped. I'm pretty sure that it happened as soon as I started studying/following "The Law Of Attraction" in which I am so grateful for finding because it changed my life for the better since.

But my obsessions changed which actually proved to me how well "The Law Of Attraction" works. But I don't like how I'm dealing with obsessions.

For example, I used to be obsessed about golf. I read everything, practiced everyday, contributed in forums, studied, watched, breathed everything golf. Then, once I go and actually play a round, I'm completely done......the obsession is completely gone. I'm done with golf. But I still have my clubs

I had the same issues with metal detecting as above but with this exception. I will keep metal detecting every chance I can, but as soon as I find a valuable coin made of silver or gold, boom......the obsession is over and I'm done with detecting. But I still have my detector.

My latest obsession has to deal with the hopefully, forthcoming Verizon iPhone. I also have a obsession with Apple products in general. I constantly tweet about rumors and the such. But what different with the iPhone obsession is that when I do get it, I won't be done with it because I'll use it everyday, gladly.

Any thoughts or suggestions on whats going on?

Cheers!

Douglas

maxitab

maxitab

Hi Doug......welcome to the forum. Well, this might be obsessional behaviour but I am not sure it is full blown OCD - to be that it would have to be obsession to the point where you can't eat a meal or get out of the house because you are so focussed on the subject/object....is this the case?

Many of us have obsessional traits...I have a house full of craft equipment, much of which has been used once. I am like you, I will go all out and learn a new thing, buy all the equipment, then once I have it 'under my belt' as it were, it is put by in favour of the newest flavour of the month idea! While this has cost me money, it has not stopped me getting on with my life (my MH probs are in a different area), and in fact this slightly obsessional approach means I fast become quite an expert......

I am sure you will get other opinions too, so do check in and see who has posted....and good luck.

T

TiredofDepression

I have to agree with Maxitab, not sure this is full blown OCD. It don't seem to interfere with real life situations like work and even getting out of the house. However, I will definatel look into the law of attraction and research it a bit. OCD can be a literal nightmare, pure hell. My husband was once OCDing on only eating oatmeal, he felt if he ate anything else God would punish him, and God only wanted him to eat oatmeal. This went on for months and months, major weight loss, ended up hospitalized, out of work. Horrible, then the OCD went to reading lables on food and only eating so much fat grams. Another OCD he has had is watching the speed odomiter and staying exactly on the speed limit, this can drive one insane. I usually drive now. He use to make long trips for work and he was obsessed with listening to preaching tapes so he would literally drive till the car was almost out of gas. 10 and 12 hrs at a time listening to piles and piles of tapes. Well, he did learn a lot about the Bible out of that OCD, but it sure caused some devil of a fights when I was a long and wanted to go to the bathroom and got tired of hearing his tapes. Some of that stuff was liveable, but these days his OCD can be imbarable, so sick of it. He hardly works and will not go out of the house, just sits, or lays and thinks, thinks, thinks, till he is drive to compulse on his thoughts.

BORTU

BORTU

Hi, I agree with maxitab.

I have gone through life with a new hobby every 6 months, not deliberately, it just happens. It keeps my brain active in learning new things. I think it is good.