• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A possible Spiritual Guide to Mental Well-being

OCDguy

OCDguy

Hi All, I just wanted to share some of my views regarding our Spiritual Well Being...

Body and Mind = our Spirit/Soul
In my opinion a healthy Mind is one that is able to function, and deal with the everyday obstacles we have to face/endure. If we are unable to negotiate those obstacles on our own, we might need the help of others' or possibly medication, or both.
We all have basic needs. The obvious ones are Food, Shelter and Clothing. Moving slightly on from that we all need financial and emotional security. So when it comes down to our Mental Health, there are priorities...
1. Our immediate financial and emotional security and also Physical Health.
2. Our long term financial and emotional security and Physical Health.
3. Overcoming immediate obstacles preventing us moving forward in life
4. Overcoming present troubles which are hindering our quality of life.
5. Know who we are and our strengths (in my opinion we are the product of our values). Our values aren't set in stone, we can influence/change them.
6. Know our weaknesses. We all have them, some are long term, but be at peace with them. Bring people into our lives who can make up for those short falls.
7. Overcoming past troubles which are hindering our every day relationships, both present and future.
8. Be at peace with ourselves. This is achieved by letting go of present and past short falls, including any hate, resentment towards others.
9. Share your love. Be at peace and be happy.

If we are lucky enough to have a partner we should be able to confide in them and share our past, present and future issues with them. Sometimes they can act as our very own personal counsellors. The more we are able to confide in them, the more boundaries are potentially broken down, and the closer and more loving our relationships can become.

In my opinion these are all positive steps to bring about lasting quality Mental Health :)

OCDguy

OCDguy

A lot of our struggles might be due to "inward thinking". This could be anything from self loathing to focussing on our shortfalls. If we can turn around this inward thinking, our minds may very well start turning to our life paths, and focussing on progressing on it, rather than being stagnant beating ourselves up.
So one way of doing this might be knowing who we are, and being at peace with those shortfalls etc. Knowing who we are is reasonably straight forward (in my opinion we are the product of our values, the one we live our life by). Some examples of this might be generosity, understanding and emphatic towards others, ambitious, considerate, loyal, respectful, methodical etc. Everyone's list will be different, and many of your list will have appeal to relationships with others', in particular romantic relationships.
Being at peace with your shortfalls will no doubt take considerably longer. That means basically making a list of everything you're not happy with, and basically accepting them for what they are. Some examples might be your Physical and Mental Health conditions, which could include physical pain, reduced functionality of limbs/mobility, OCD, depression, anxiety etc. etc. Being at peace with them doesn't mean you suddenly welcome them or that you are happy that you have these issues, it just means accepting you have them, and you STOP blaming yourself or others' for having them. By doing this you can draw a line under them, and actually start to address those issues, rather than beating yourself up etc. for having them. There is a difference. It means you stop wasting your precious time blaming yourself/moaning and pointing fingers, which will get you absolutely nowhere, and actually start to spend your time addressing these issues and starting to make progress, which is surely what we all want to do...
As for other issues (for example irratability, argumentative, aggressive, selfish, stand offish etc. etc.), again accept these are part of your nature. Again this doesn't mean you are happy or welcome these characteristics, it's purely accepting them as being part of your nature (for now). When you do this, your inward thinking on these matters should cease, and you can start to focus on change and make progress. For example you are saying to yourself, okay I have these, now what am I going to do about it. Next would be to make a note of everything you are going to address, and possibly how you are going to go about doing it. See how your focus has changed from beating yourself up, to taking action...
Address your issues, and then you can start to move full speed on advancing through life (progress)... Love, Peace and Respect :)

OCDguy

OCDguy

In my opinion Mind Control isn't what you think, it's purely discipling the Mind. The simplest way of doing this in my opinion is sitting in a quiet room with no distractions. Slow the mind down, close your eyes and turn your focus to the stillness and quietness of the room. Then as you focus, become as one with the room, dark (your eyes are shut), still, quiet, peaceful. Once you have a disciplined Mind, you have a element of control. Once you have control of your Mind, you can overcome many, many things. Love, Peace and Respect :)