• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A place to talk...

T

tazzee

Hi im new here...

Been reading through your posts and came to realisation that i seem to be experiencing ptsd in one form or another too.

Wondering if a proper diagonsis was made during my years of therapy whether i might actually be feeling better now. Especially since my symptoms and their scope seem to be increasing with time rather than fading.
it has got to point where all my relationships are being affected....and with no logical reason. I just constantly have a barrier up....

Flashbacks, dissaccocation (spelt?) panic attacks...you name it i felt it. Managed to control s.i. for time being. I just wish could understand how even years later i can still be reacting so violently. Will it end?

I keep feeling like i should be "over it" now...i cant move forwards and back involves free falling again...no one would choose that.

unlucky

unlucky

Founding Member
Have you spoken to your GP about how you've been feeling. If you think its PTSD and you think you've been misdiagnosed maybe you could go back and ask him about this.

T

tazzee

they arent very supportive in my area. took long enough to be taken seriously with depression

S

*Sapphire*

Hi tazzee

And :welcome: to the forum

I'm so sorry you are going through a difficult time at the moment.
PTSD can sometimes be hard to diagnose because sometimes patients manifest different symptoms because of it, such as depression, increased alcohol intake, taking drugs, self injury etc. So a GP may just see the one problem and treat it accordingly without questioning what is behind it. Sometimes someone suffering with PTSD does not even mention the trauma when they see the doctor because they want to avoid recalling the memories, or hopes for a cure that does not involve them having to talk about it or for other reasons.

PTSD can last a long time, however with the right treatment your symptoms can lessen. The memories are unlikely to disappear however what you can change is your relationship to them. For example in the past I found recalling some memories most distressing however over time and with some help I can now have those memories without getting as upset as I used to or even at all.

Here is a link to a site that offers some really helpful suggestions on how to help yourself overcome your PTSD. I found it most helpful myself. It might be worth highlighting it to your family and friends as it has suggestions on how they can help you too.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalheal...ressdisorder/posttraumaticstressdisorder.aspx

The main thing that helped me was talking about it. Talk, talk and talk again!
It was too much for me to go into the whole thing all at once because I could be there all day. However if a specific memory came up then I would just talk about that one there and then. I am very careful who I talk about these things with, they need to be trustworthy, and I guess for me it helped if they didn't try to 'counsel' me as such, but offer some support and listen. It is painful but over time in my experience the memories do lessen. I had one pop up the other day, however i was able to ground myself and move on. After a short while I forgot I even had the memory.

If you are experiencing a sudden increase in your memories it might help to think if anything in your life has changed recently that might be acting as a trigger for these memories. If you do manage to find one then you can act accordingly, sometimes just knowing it is a trigger can help you feel more in control of it.

Therapy or counselling can really help with managing PTSD. It is probably worth asking your GP for it. If you feel your GP is not taking you seriously then see another one in the practice. It amazes me sometimes how different GPs react differently towards certain conditions.

I hope that helps.

T

tazzee

going to check out site now :)

When i was seeing child psychologist, how i was feeling was just dismissed as a normal reaction to trauma. I didnt even get much help for severe depression. Apparently suicide attempts etc are just part n parcel of the trauma. There are a lot of services in my area but the people in a position to help are quick to dismiss "normal" behaviours. You dont need help with how you're feeling etc because its normal to feel so bad.
maybe its because services are stretched...
it makes me hesitant to seek further help. Ill have a look at you're link and moniter myself i guess. if it gets worse ill have to speak to new gp.
Thanks for your help :)

S

*Sapphire*

If you have seen a psychologist and talking didn't help you overcome it, then it might be worth looking into getting some EMDR therapy. It sounds very strange but apparently it has had good a proven success rate. Might be worth asking your GP about it. Sometimes we have to make suggestions ourselves when it comes to GPs because they are not neccessarily well versed in such things. There is a topic about EMDR in the link I sent you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Snowfairy Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Forum 10