• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A New Approach To Mental Health

A

Apotheosis

In places like Sudan, in the heart of Africa, the local doctor does not have the option of prescribing psychiatric drugs to patients, as the cost would be prohibitive. Most people there have some type of post-traumatic stress disorder after having seen villages burned and relatives and friends killed right in front of them. Years of hunger, war and families being torn apart by forced slavery have taken their toll. Women find it difficult to sleep in their huts – if they can sleep at all. Many women and men are disturbed throughout the day by flashbacks of the murder and mayhem they’ve witnessed.

For the good people of Sudan, there are only a few cures for their symptoms: prayer, religion and connections to supportive groups in their villages and learning some of the techniques that might have a direct impact on their symptoms. One NGO, Christian Solidarity International, has supported a group of women who have learned a basic breathing technique called coherent breathing. They have been performing this technique daily for five months and are reporting great progress in terms of their ability to cope with their lives. No meds, no shrinks, just the breathing and the support of the other women who come to the group.

There are other techniques, as well as people who are working to make symptom relief available at low or no cost. Dr. James Gordon has worked for years at his Center for Mind Body Medicine. He recently worked in Haiti, teaching techniques to help people deal with the stresses of trauma and loss following the earthquake. His training involves providing low-cost help to those who could never access health care.

Read the Full Article Here -

http://talkradionews.com/2010/04/a-new-approach-to-mental-health/

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

very intresting read Apotheosis (y),it proves that meds are not the only answer to treating mental health problems, :cool:

take care Apotheosis

S

skyblue

Hiya Apo :)

Interesting read. Isn't it terrible what those people have been through. I'm glad they've managed to find some peace of mind by using the breathing techniques and meditation.

I really want to become medication free. I'm down to taking a very small dose of Quetiapine 150mg (have been for sometime now) and I'm fine with this, but I'm unable to stop the entire drug because symptoms reappear with a vengeance.

I'm starting a new Yoga Course next week, every Thursday for 2hrs. I'm hoping I can learn afew breathing techniques. It should help alleviate my symptoms of depression and anxiety. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm trying to gather as much alternative information and support as possible, in hope to one day become entirely medication free, once and for all.

Enjoy your weekend :flowers:

A

Apotheosis

Hi skyblue; thank you for the reply.

I'm unable to stop the entire drug because symptoms reappear with a vengeance.
I'm the same; slow & steady seems to be the best advice I've found. I have got as low as I can on the drug I take. Any lower, or when I have tired stopping, & I become too unwell to function. With me; a lot I think is withdrawal effect; & that my mind is dependant on this drug to function. The reality is, that at the exclusion of the comprehensive social & psychological support that we need; maybe the only option is to take a drug; & we would go mad without it. I would have liked to have tried alternatives in the first place - but I never had that option.

Don't beat yourself up over it, or feel bad at having to take a drug.

A minority are best helped by drugs. I am wondering if I'm one of those people? But I don't think that things are a case of either/or. If we are on drugs; or need to take them; there are still many things that we both need, & that help improve how we function & feel. & I'd personally say that it's best to take as little as these drug as possible - IMO.

I'm starting a new Yoga Course next week, every Thursday for 2hrs. I'm hoping I can learn afew breathing techniques. It should help alleviate my symptoms of depression and anxiety. I'm looking forward to it.
That's good. I'm glad that your having a go with that. I've heard that Yoga is very good. I do find that certain breathing techniques can help.

I'm trying to gather as much alternative information and support as possible, in hope to one day become entirely medication free, once and for all.
I wish you well with it all. I'd love to one day get med free, but given present circumstances; I'm personally not too hopeful.

Enjoy your weekend :flowers:
Enjoy your weekend too. Have fun.

A

Apotheosis

very intresting read Apotheosis (y),it proves that meds are not the only answer to treating mental health problems, :cool:

take care Apotheosis
Thanks. There are many ways of helping people through MH issues & difficulties. Many people could recover med free; if not the majority; if given half a chance; even those with schizophrenia & Bi-Polar. Of course there is still a place for drugs; but we should all have access to comprehensive methods or treatment, care & support; & real choice - not just stuck on drugs, & left.

S

skyblue

I have got as low as I can on the drug I take. Any lower, or when I have tired stopping, & I become too unwell to function.

I would have liked to have tried alternatives in the first place - but I never had that option.
This works the same for me and I too would have liked to have tried alternatives in the first place, but I was never given that option either, which is ashame.
Having been hooked on med's for 17yrs now, I can't wait to get off the things, but until I've found those alternative therapies that work for me (and I believe they're out there), I'm pretty much stuck on them for the time being.

Oh well, at least i'm half way there :).

Take it easy.

Last edited:
Lion Heart

Lion Heart

Thanks. There are many ways of helping people through MH issues & difficulties. Many people could recover med free; if not the majority; if given half a chance; even those with schizophrenia & Bi-Polar. Of course there is still a place for drugs; but we should all have access to comprehensive methods or treatment, care & support; & real choice - not just stuck on drugs, & left.
i agree Apotheosis with every word you have said,i think just putting people on drugs is the easy way out for them & thats why most of the time they do it.

i think more care & support should be given out first to see how people react to that first.then if that do not work then pull out the drugs.

when i first whent down to see doc & told him i am feeling depressed the first thing that came out of his mouth was,ill put you on meds :(

i have made good recovery without taking them pills the doc gave me,maybe if i did carry on taking them i might not be as well as i am now ?,maybe i might of even got worse in myself ? :unsure:.

i belive that the mental health services has messed peoples heads up even more in some cases with there drugs.i feel that they are using people as guinea pigs sometimes :mad:.

get well soon everyone :grouphug:

dib4uk

dib4uk

I guess that where we the western society relays on medicine and talking therapies the african states realy totally on the church and their support they get from the local vicars etc. Of course the priests and vicars of the churches do give support and talking therapies to their practioners.

L

lcalvin

I'm all for going natural whenever I have that "disturbed" feeling. I listen to music, exercise- eat some comfort food and all. A friend who's suffering from the same issues too shared a site with tips on all going natural- this is not spam. Again, it's just a personal tip. No harm if you try coz like I said, I have avoided any sort of medications too.

Last edited by a moderator:
lal10

lal10

I agree with many of you that meds are not always the answer and it would be much better to be able to cope without them but in some cases this just isn't possible.

One thing we really need to learn from this story is the power of community spirit and the support of fellow human beings. In the west we have lost this, when someone is having a hard time people disappear and leave them to it, if they know about it at all. We in the west are too obsessed with careers, material possessions and 1,000 other unnecessary man made modern distractions that I feel are causing mental illness in many of us, we don't communicate or have family or community relationships like we used to or like many poorer countries do now. Our values have changed from family and other people come first to money and possessions come first. We no longer understand what is really important to our survival and physical and mental health, we feel we need things to make us happy and not other people. Anything that gets in the way of work and money is seen as wrong and something to be ashamed of, if we don't keep up with the jones's then we are seen as odd. I don't care about money, I don't care about possessions, vanity, what someone does for a living, what car they drive or any of that. It is all irrelevant to leading a happy and fulfilled life. People in third world countries may not have much at all but they have something I personally am very jealous of and see as more important than anything I can boast about, they have each other and they have community support. We can't say that, we ask for help and are shunned by friends/family/GP's etc, we fight our fight alone for most of the time, maybe things would be different if we could learn from these countries and get better in a way that doesn't involve money and meds and form filling and assessments, in a way that just involves a bit of human kindness and support from one another.

M

maudikie

maudikie

There have bee manynatural ragedies of late . Tsunamis. earthquakes etc. Or is it that communications have advanced a great deal, and we now hear about things we never used to? One thing that could be avoided is war. Yet there have been wars for centuries. usually sparked by mans greed i think. If only we could be nice to everyone it would be a happier world.

M

maudikie

maudikie.

I think there is a place for drugs, which I prefer to call medication. But I do agree that patients should not just be left to get on with it, and there has been a great lack of rehabilitation, and a great deal of misunderstanding in the public, largely fuelled by the media who pick on the cases that have gone wrong. I used to think that there was no purely evil person, but I do begin to wonder when I hear some of the stories that are published. I wonder why children in particular can do some very cruel things. Perhaps they haven't been treated well or loved. Though I don't apply this to all mental illness, as the more i read about it the more i can understand the changes in brain structure. And they have now found a gene which of course can be inherited, At the same time they are finding ways of diagnosig quickly, so that is good.
It is sad that so many people with mental illness are isolated and have difficulty in making friends. Though many people like a quiet life anyway.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Other 13
T Other 3
JessisMe Other 13