• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

A love/hate kinda thing

KittyCat92

KittyCat92

I’m having a love/hate relationship with this heat in the UK!

I struggle with sweating, I sweat so easily that I’m literally moving my fan around wherever I go in the house just to stay some what cool. Even to sit outside in the shade I’ve got an extension lead for my fan because I’m just too hot!

I struggle with my body image, usually I love to sunbathe but I’ve put on weight and haven’t managed to lose much that I feel uncomfortable with my size and shape and I’ve now got scars from self harming so I can’t just whip my clothes off if I’m too hot.

Ive actually put fake tan on to feel a little better about how I look, I like a nice tan but at the moment it’s too hot to sit in the sun!

Just a side note - anyone who lives in a country that is hot could you please not tell me to stop moaning! Some people are acclimatised to it and some people like me struggle with it!

I just feel a bit miserable if I’m honest.

Any useful tips to stay cool? Especially when you’re not at home?

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I put an ice pack on the back of my neck.

Jolly

Jolly

The only thing I can suggest is an ice pack wrapped in a tea towel on the back of your neck. My little chihuahua is suffering and I wet a tea towel and wrapped it round her. She is old and has realised the kitchen and hallway is a lot cooler. I am the opposite by the way far too thin so will only wear trousers or a long dress. We should not moan as when the weather gets cooler we will still be moaning it is too cold

B

Bod

Former member
At the moment I have a lot of ice wrapped in a small towel on the back of my neck, my Jack Chi hates the heat.

Wishbone

Wishbone

The only thing I can suggest is an ice pack wrapped in a tea towel on the back of your neck. My little chihuahua is suffering and I wet a tea towel and wrapped it round her. She is old and has realised the kitchen and hallway is a lot cooler.

Best way for a dog to cool down in the house is to lie belly down on something cool, most will figure this out themselves if there's somewhere appropriate but if not I think there are actually cooling beds that you can get these days for them to lie on. But what I used to do with mine was to get an old piece of Linoleum and put it down the side of a sofa, in the corner of the room out of the sun. My pooch would always use that spot after I did that as the Lino always remained cool to the touch. Anything like that would work, but I imagine they'd like the cooling bed thing.

As for sweating too much. I made the msitake of going through the car wash today and damn near felt like a Christmas Turkey by the time I reached the other end! Sweating like crazy. Not my best idea. Home always seems to be hot no matter what. Some smaller shops are too. But supermarkets are always lovely and cool. Treat yourself to an afternoon slowly perusing round Tesco...then Asda...then Sainsbury's...then Aldi...

You get the idea! 😄