• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A little advise needed

J

JM2009

Hello

I'm hoping you guys out there can help me out with some information.

I'm slowly coming to accept the fact that my mental health might not be as healthy as I would have wished for. Admitting something might be wrong or even getting to the point of writing it down has been a tough thing to do.

I was wondering what next steps would be. I have tried going to the GP about other things, really in the hope I could come right out and ask them what is going on in my head...but they seemed so curt or rushed I couldn't ask or even mention it.

After some reading on the subject I 'm not sure whether a GP is the best place to start...I don't want what little quality of life I have left to be taken away but drugs and that would seem to be the main focus.

What help do I look for, am I really depressed or is it just the way I am, I feel like a fraud as I have it better than alot of people I know.

These symptoms have plagued me for 5-8 years now, some times I'm fine, better than fine, great. But the majority of the time I suffer with panic attacks, paranoia, slight acrophobia and feelings of low self worth and depression. I have self harmed in the past and feelings of nihilism.

I'm self employed and haven't really worked properly for 3 years as i seem to have gone into shut down, luckily I have a great partner who has been a rock and constant source of support.

I suppose my question is, if I'm suffering some kind of mental health issue, how do if find out who to talk to and what next.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long post

Jon

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Hi Jon and :welcome: to the forum - glad you found it. I know it is hard to do, but going back to your gp is probably the best thing to do. If you are worried about not being able to say what you want, you can write things down and give it to them to read - I have done this myself and it did help. It is up to you whether you decide to take anti-depressants or not; you can also ask about being referred to a counsellor or psychologist (generally, though, there is a pretty long waiting list). There are also online resources that might help - posting here, of course, and feeling that other people "get" what you're talking about, but there are also places that offer free access to cognitive behavioural therapy (moodgym is an Australian site which is good, also Living Life to the Full, based in the UK). Depending on how low you are, that might be too difficult for you to be able to do just now, so try not to blame yourself if that is the case.

Take care and I look forward to seeing you around.

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi Jon and :welcome: to the forum. I understand how hard it can be accepting you may have a MH problem, but at least you've started at a good place, by talking to people who understand cos we've all been through it. My suggestion would be to go to the GP.

He/she may or may not suggest drugs, but even if they do it's not necessarily the end of the world. Is it better to feel as you do at the moment or to feel something nearer normality with the help of drugs? I have been on antidepressants for 9 years and for the vast majority of the time I have functioned pretty much normally.

On the other hand, the doc might not think drugs are the way to go, and might refer you to some sort of counselling/talking therapy.

You might like to have a think what you might prefer as GPs are meant to take any preferences for treatment into account. Maybe even a combination of the two would be best, that's what I'm looking into at the moment.

You're right to do some reading on the subject, but personally I prefer to stick to the mainstream sites, like http://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/, http://www.mind.org.uk/ or http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/depression/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and keep posting :)