• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

A Hopeful Hello

L

Lyn08

Hi there,
Since I cannot share my real name, I'll introduce myself as Lyn08. In February I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety, following a psychotic episode. After Months of therapy and and being placed on anti-depressants and benzodiazepine (prescribed by my GP). I felt Ok for a little while. But then my mood started declining and I noticed patterns of falling into depression, sleepless nights and irritability and a sense of wanting to get away from it all again despite taking my medication diligently. I sought the help of a psychiatrist and a new psychologist and they both diagnosed me with bipolar II.

I was diagnosed on August 11th. So this is the 6th week I've been on my new medication. I've noticed an increase stability in me mood. I cycle a lot and seeing the sun rise is one of my favourite experiences. However, between the hours 8 am, after my bath, and 11 am I feel so exhausted needing a nap. It's only a few days since I've increased my lamictal to 100mg. I also take antipsychotics because I was still having sleepless nights and racing thoughts despite being prescribed a sleeping pill. I'm still on my antidepressants as well.

I wanted to know if the tiredness will fade as my body adjusts, I noticed when I started lamictal on 25mg I felt a little dazed for a few hours in the morning but quickly adjusted. Will this sleepiness on 100mg fade and has anyone else had a similar experience?

Bod

Bod

Hello Lyn08, welcome to the forum I hope you can settle in here as everyone is so caring and helpful.
I think you might need to give your meds just a bit longer till they start to kick in to your system and work.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I take lamictal 300 mg along with other medications for bi polar 2. I would give it some time to adjust. I am still tired on mine but I had break throughs on a lower dose so I have dealt with the tired feeling by taking a nap during the day when I can.
What psychotic break did you have if you dont mind me asking.
I also could not be regulated on antidepressants my GP presecribed. They would work for a month or so then stop. He tried 4 different ones. It took going to the psych to realize I needed mood stabliizers with the DX of Bipolar

L

Lyn08

Hello Lyn08, welcome to the forum I hope you can settle in here as everyone is so caring and helpful.
I think you might need to give your meds just a bit longer till they start to kick in to your system and work.
Thank you! I suspected I was being a little impatient with myself. I just find it frustrating because I have work to do, so all these naps create a lag in my productivity. But I'll be kinder to myself and do whatever I can when I can.

L

Lyn08

I take lamictal 300 mg along with other medications for bi polar 2. I would give it some time to adjust. I am still tired on mine but I had break throughs on a lower dose so I have dealt with the tired feeling by taking a nap during the day when I can.
What psychotic break did you have if you dont mind me asking.
I also could not be regulated on antidepressants my GP presecribed. They would work for a month or so then stop. He tried 4 different ones. It took going to the psych to realize I needed mood stabliizers with the DX of Bipolar
Thanks Softrain, it's comforting to hear from someone who has gone through a similar experience. My family is supportive but I often feel a little lonely in my journey.

I had a psychotic episode triggered by emotional stress which was triggered by a homework assignment given to me by one of my former psychologists (she was treating me for recurring depression which I've had since I was 18 as far as I recollect). I said incoherent things to family over the phone and via voice notes, I was alone and drove around town at some point at night and ran a bath sat in it fully clothed and self harmed pretty badly.

The next day I woke up confused yet emotionally numb. I had no recollection of what had happened, instead, I woke up terrified to see the results of my self harm, some severe some superficial, damp on my bed, a bathroom full of water and my family who had driven 4 hours over night to get to the house and I had no memory of their arrival. They all looked frightened. I was very confused and could neither discern what they said nor answer. When I finally came fully conscious 2 days later, I was devastated.

My family fought hard to ensure I wasn't institutionalized despite my psychiatrist's insistence. Instead, they took me to Eswatini where I'd be constantly be monitored by relatives while going to therapy everyday and being put on several medications. That was my first psychotic episode coupled with dissociation. I've since realized that months before that I had had a mild psychotic break but my family couldn't put a name to it so we just pretended it never happened.

SoftRain

SoftRain

Thanks for sharing.
I am so happy they are treating you and your getting the help that you need. Hugs

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello Lyn08, welcome to the forum.

F

Frankum35

Hi, welcome. I just joined too and this place is amazing.