• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

A friend is displaying tics and odd-tourettes like behaviour.

W

whiteflag

I have a friend who has been displaying some odd, tourette/tic type behaviour.?
I have seen him do this thing with his hand, his neck and his fingers, which involves some sort of involuntary momements. I once saw him catch me looking at him when he was hidingly 'doing' one of these involuntary movements, and he looked pretty ambarrassed, almost ashamed.

How would you approach this sort of situation if it arose for you? Knowing that your friend has never talked about this in the many years that he has known you, and not knowing if he does or does not confide in someone else for his problems, would you ask him to open up to you, or would you let it be?
Would you be tempted to 'spy' on him to catch him doing this odd behaviour?
Would you ask anyone else if they have also noticed?
Would you defend him if one day he got teased about his tic behaviour?
Would you stay away from him, or be embarrassed to have him as a friend, in case he displayed his 'issues' for all to see?
Girls: would you be embarrassed or put off to be with such a person?

I would just like to hear open, candid opinions on how to deal with this kinda thing, cos I know the guy who has these prolems, but he is not a close friend as such, and neither is he part of our group of friends, but yeah I knew him quite well when we were kids and for sure he never had these tics when we were kids.

A

Ainsworth

How would you approach this sort of situation if it arose for you? Knowing that your friend has never talked about this in the many years that he has known you, and not knowing if he does or does not confide in someone else for his problems, would you ask him to open up to you, or would you let it be?it is completely his choice to open up or not, no one should force him to talk about it
Would you be tempted to 'spy' on him to catch him doing this odd behaviour? no, i find that abit wierd, it wouldnt bother me, it would be just part of him
Would you ask anyone else if they have also noticed? again no, im not a person who looks for 'so called flaws' in others as i have enough myself
Would you defend him if one day he got teased about his tic behaviour? completely, no one has the right to bully, tease or embarrass anyone, we all do things that others see as wrong but also the situation would have to be handled so he wasnt embarrassed by me defending him, his feelings would be very much in my mind on how i acted for him not the bullies
Would you stay away from him, or be embarrassed to have him as a friend, in case he displayed his 'issues' for all to see? NO
Girls: would you be embarrassed or put off to be with such a person? again NO, i wouldnt, i know someone who does have this behaviour, its just part of her, she is a laugh at partys, fun to be around and caring, thats what i see, nothing else
we all do behaviours that can be seen as wierd if you are looking for stuff, some people are so caught up in what people look like and do, just live your live and if this person brings value and happiness to you by being around, who cares. my OH (who i knew as a child) used to flap his hands as a child quite badly, didnt put me off him, it was just him :)

A

Ainsworth

ooh and just adding, it could be just nerves, he could get nervous around people so it gets worse if people notice. nothing more. he may not have anything wrong with him, i do things when im nervous

im sure i tic when ive smoked weed but that is the weed oops :p