• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

A family member of mine is a victim of Munchausen by proxy.

Amelia2020

Amelia2020

Hello, I have OCD and Anxiety and it is causing me to overthink about this. I feel like I am witnessing a gyspy rose case. I am talking about it here because I just want to talk to someone about this:

I have not seen this family member in years because she lives in Arizona. I asked how she is doing and tells me she is doing nothing - 23 years old and still lives at home with parents. I thought "okay, a lot of people live with parents at that age". I asked what her plans are for future and she said nothing. She said " I'm sick and can't physically do anything" (meaning: work, school, etc). Which is strange becaus definitely does not looked disabled to me. Family that visits her said she looked fine.

They don't let her even leave the house to meet people or even see family because she can "die". Yes, she has been trapped in her home for God knows how long.

I looked more into it and the money my relative receives from the government for disability is being used for her parents drug addiction. They don't even work. They collect government cash, also. But that money also is for drugs. Yes, they need her money for DRUGS. I concluded they force her to believe she is sick in order to feed this drug addiction. They leace hardly no money for food, survival. I believe she also signed away her rights. They have complete control.

Am I overreacting? I have ocd and anxiety and keep thinking about this. I don't know where else to talk about this. I was told not to get involved, so I'm asking here to see how anyone else would react.

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

That's a tough one. It sounds to me that her parents are taking advantage of her. And it is also troubling that the rest of the family seems to be ignoring the situation. It doesn't seem to me that you are overreacting.

JessisMe

JessisMe

If I were you I would make a report to their local Adult Protective Services. It might take a while but the state should follow up by looking into it. She is classified as a vulnerable adult as a result of her disability and is protected from abuse and exploitation. If she is being abused or exploited and the state finds this in its findings then she can be protected in this way. I believe that reports can be anonymous but you might check before making one just to make sure that it does not come back to you. Here’s a link to the Adult Protective Services office in New Jersey so you can learn more:

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@JessisMe, well done on the advice mate, I was just going to post that Adult Social Services need to be called.

S

SunnyDaze

Hello, I have OCD and Anxiety and it is causing me to overthink about this. I feel like I am witnessing a gyspy rose case. I am talking about it here because I just want to talk to someone about this:

I have not seen this family member in years because she lives in Arizona. I asked how she is doing and tells me she is doing nothing - 23 years old and still lives at home with parents. I thought "okay, a lot of people live with parents at that age". I asked what her plans are for future and she said nothing. She said " I'm sick and can't physically do anything" (meaning: work, school, etc). Which is strange becaus definitely does not looked disabled to me. Family that visits her said she looked fine.

They don't let her even leave the house to meet people or even see family because she can "die". Yes, she has been trapped in her home for God knows how long.

I looked more into it and the money my relative receives from the government for disability is being used for her parents drug addiction. They don't even work. They collect government cash, also. But that money also is for drugs. Yes, they need her money for DRUGS. I concluded they force her to believe she is sick in order to feed this drug addiction. They leace hardly no money for food, survival. I believe she also signed away her rights. They have complete control.

Am I overreacting? I have ocd and anxiety and keep thinking about this. I don't know where else to talk about this. I was told not to get involved, so I'm asking here to see how anyone else would react.
Someone can look perfectly fine on the outside and still be sick. I'm sure many or most of us here can attest to that. Did you ask what illness she has?

That being said, I wouldn't report it to anyone unless I had solid proof. Have you personally seen her parents take her money for drugs? Where did that info come from? Just asking because people can say whatever they want about other people but it doesn't mean it's true.

Did she tell you things are bad? Did she tell you about the drugs? What did she share with you?

It's easy to jump to conclusions and come up with a horrible scenario.Are you sure she just hasn't been allowed to go anywhere because of Covid?

If you're concerned maybe get someone that lives close to check things out? What you have concluded about what's going on may not be what it is at all.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
If it is munchausens thats a very serious MH condition and it would be unusual for 2 people in the same house to have it. It sounds more like manipulation or coercion for monetary gain and this can cause serious long term MH issues for your family member. Can the family members that have seen her talk to you and give you more information to see how serious they think this is and if you should involve adult social services