A&E

Run Like Hell

Run Like Hell

Hi

I live in England and I speak to someone in Tayside on Skype.
He's told me that he's been told that he should not go to A&E in the event of feeling suicidal, which is something I do in England, and have been encouraged to do by the mental health people in A&E. At these times I've just needed to talk to someone about my feelings.

I cannot believe this is correct. Has anyone been to A&E in Scotland when feeling bad or suicidal?

Grape

Grape

There was a girl on here with BPD in England who was told not to go to A&E.

Jaminacaranda

Jaminacaranda

Not me personally but I live in Scotland and volunteer with people with mental health problems and my understanding is that if they are suicidal they call their CPN or local Crisis Team rather than going to A & E. However I live in an area where the nearest A & E is often fifty miles away so perhaps it is different in the cities. Having said this I used to live in England until recently and always thought it was frowned upon to use A & E as a psychiatric crisis centre - often because they don't have the staff easily available to deal with such issues. I must say I have been surprised at how many people on this forum say they have gone to A & E when feeling suicidal. Not that I'm suggesting that's wrong - there should be psychiatric crisis support available to people but it wouldn't surprise me if indeed there really wasn't any!

Sharyhn

Sharyhn

I have phoned the nhs, who have put me through to the mental health team, that is what i have been told to do. I don't know if i would want to sit in A&E in some of the states i have been in, i think i would just feel worse, but then i have never felt suicidal, it's been extreme anxiety. I think it would just be the same, phone mental health team and talk to them. It depends also when it is, i have had the doctor out during the day to see me, had extreme anxiety with trazodone, never again.

Grape

Grape

The CMHT and crisis team, here in England, used to always tell me to go to A&E if suicidal. It was how you got access to the psych team for assessment for referral to crisis team or admission. I don't know if it is different now as that was a few years ago.

Artmuzz

Artmuzz

I am the person the OP is talking about. I was told by my GP that A&E wouldn't help me if I was feeling suicidal and that if I was so suicidal then I would have to phone samaritans or get an appointment with my GP. I don't know if the law is different in Scotland as it is in England as the OP in England was able to speak to A&E when he felt suicidal but when I mentioned A&E to my GP I got a different story.

C

cherbear

I'm in Edinburgh you phone NHS 24 where various psych nurses phone you over a course of a few hours then you are put through to the out of hours GP I had two options refer myself to the Royal Ed or that some prozac would be left for me to collect and to visit my GP the next day . A and E is not the place to go here if you are feeling suicidal .