• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

A&E?

B

bluebell24

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post last week about my meds dosage ... only just managed to track down my password to login again, bit of a disorganised week!

Was due to see a pdoc today, at least I thought I was after booking online according to my gp's instructions! Turned out there was no appointment and after a very helpful woman did some digging for me it transpired that I had been referred somewhere completely different and they hadn't yet reviewed the referral and aren't due to until next week ... and then I have to wait for an appointment.

I got really upset talking to this woman - had been really hoping to get my meds reviewed and have some hope of feeling better soon. I'm really struggling daily at the moment with a horrible, stressful job, being lonely and generally fearful that my health is starting to spiral again.

The woman suggested I go to A&E as they may be able to provide a more immediate solution to my problems, maybe sort out the meds.

Has anyone else been in this position before, and if so would you mind sharing your experience? I'm getting pretty desperate for help again ...

Thanks, B

S

suki1066

sorry i havent been in that situation, but i do hope some of the others can advise you, it is awfull when you feel so shit and scared its not going to get better, i hope things pick up for you soon, wishing you the very best xx

BORTU

BORTU

Hello bluebell,

I too have to admit I have not been mucked about like that. If you are desperate go and bend your doctor's ear. He can short circuit the system for you.

L

LilMissLost

Hiya Bluebell,

When i was first put on meds i had a really bad experience on one of them and knew that something should be done there and then, i didnt have an appointment with psychologist for another few months and doctor and psychiatrist seem to write to each other which takes ages. This was all over a weekend aswell so i was referred to an out of hours doctor who yanked me off of all my meds and wouldnt give me any diazepam even though i couldnt sleep, he said he wasnt allowed to write prescriptions for stuff like that! I always vowed from that moment on that i will never go to an out of hours doctors again but will go straight to A&E if seeing my doctor wasnt an option first! Hope you get the help you need x

L

Lil

How frustrating :(. I'm pretty sure any GP can start tapering you off your meds in the meantime if they are causing you grief.

W

warriorprincess

Hey bluebelll sorry to hear you are struggling at the moment, I really hate the waiting around part, sure it's fine if you're fine and it's all routine but they never seem able to step it up a notch right when you need it, I really feel for you it's so frustrating.

I just wanted to say yes please do consider a&e as an option, it is as important an emergency as anything else they deal with. I have been countless times for a lot of reasons ( i may considered be a hypochondriac at times!) and the majority has been to do with moods/mental healthm usually feeling so low, or as a result of panic attacks, and even once when I was high. Each time they have helped in some way, it may be that they can offer immediate help with medication, though if it is more that you are depressed, i would think that they may refer you to a mental health worker from their side, it took an hour and a half a few weeks ago to get one down at half 9 at night which i have to say i was pretty impressed with. And it helped me at the time.
Before then they've been able to give me tranquilizers when I've been too worked up, or like when I put my hand through glass I was in such a state!! And at the very least, it seems to hurry things up, as they will report it to your mental health team, and can often offer help in the interim, or hopefully you will get sen sooner by someone who can help..
i hope this helps, sorry it's abit of a jumble, I just wanted to say don't in any way feel like you can't or shouldn't go to a&e. I know a lot of people who seem to think it's a waste of doctor's time, or your time, or both - but my opinion is, if it's an emergency and you are at the end of your tether, then that is exactly what they are there for, and I've certainly never been told that I shouldn't have gone in each time I have - if anything they have praised me for knowing I needed help.

Good luck with getting an appointment soon, and I hope things turn a better way up soon too, just remember you are entitled to as much help as you ask for. Do you have some good friends you can talk your worries over with? I find that the hardest but when I do sometimes find the courage to talk it can help me go a little bit further at the time. Like I say it's few and far between, but this place is also great for sharing problems and maybe taking the edge off some of it at least.

Happy hugs xxx