• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A confusing situation!!!

H

Hmmmm

Hi,

I'm new here, a bit of background on me - my mum has had bipolar depression, very bad drug problems in recent years which she is now trying to deal with. Although she has had psychiatry problems for several years - eventually causing drug addiction which she is now trying to deal with, it was only a few years ago when she was diagnosed with bipolar. I'd put money on the fact that from my 'appearance' you'd never realise I was a website designer who's currently holding down a job and questioning my mental situation - I dress like a chav for your info - hoody, tracksuit trousers, hat sometimes etc.

I am what I would call a recreational drug user, I am now 21 years old, although I've been using drugs since I was around 14/15 years old and have had some obvious problems at times including overdosing on Valium and MANY times not knowing what is going on and ending up with a complete blankspot of an entire weekend. I now don't really do drugs, although i smoke cannabis every day, If I don't smoke green I am just an absolute arsehole, I'll argue and eventually going out for a drink.

I've posted here because I don't like the doctor, I've been before about similar symptoms and whilst filling out questionnaires I almost felt as though i was setting myself up and so I answered questions untruthfully, shrugging it off with the fact that if I understood the questions I was fine.

Anyway, I'm really sorry about the long line of text. But I've written out what I think is the similarities which I see between me and my mother, they're below.
Code:
I'm tired, a lot. At work I can be fine, then I get home and I feel tired and bored. If I drink after work I'm not tired, if I'm having a smoke I'm fine. Smoking makes it easier to sleep.

I never feel like sleeping, if I go to bed, I'll often not sleep for a long while.. I will not wake up until late naturally, otherwise it's very hard to wake up, even if I'm semi awake and I know work will moan.

I feel uncomfortable around people most of the time recently, I think too quickly when I speak, which ends up making me cut off sentences, slur and mumble, especially when talking about something I know about. I definitely feel different to how I used to when I used to go out and enjoy seeing people.

I'd say, I don't really like people. I am now very solitary.

I often see things out of the corner of my eye, not full blown things but the sense that something was there next to me if I'm on my own for example.

My memory is shot to pieces. Some of the important things that have happened in my life, although I know they've happened, I cannot actually remember them.

I can be naturally very hyper despite how I'm feeling at the time, this ends up with me speaking so quickly that I notice it myself, this can be a direct confliction with the times where I can't even be bothered to speak to my girlfriend when she gets in.

In my head, it feels like all of the above is getting worse over time.
Has anyone got any opinions, I know I should speak to a doctor, and I think the symptoms are bi-polar like, but I don't want to end up wasting the rest of my life suffering on prescription medicine. I don't really know what I'm expecting from your replies but whats your opinion on the situation?

All the best, hope you all are well! :mad:

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi and :welcome: to the forum. Well none of us are professionals on here so we can't really give you a diagnosis but it does sound like you may have some sort of MH problem. I definitely think it's worth having a chat with your GP, maybe just give him/her a list like you have posted on here. It's important to answer questions truthfully otherwise they might miss things that they could help you with.

All the best, let us know how you're doing. :)

J

just.me

I think you would be better placed to find out the side effects of what you are smoking.

Look at that first.

It can make you paranoid, tired, hyper a whole host of things depending on what you are smoking/type etc.,

If you start there, you might find your answer.

Point to note is that drugs kill of brain cells, they aren't ever coming back, so if you were say a user of speed, any cells that killed are gone and some drugs do cause depression.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Hmmmm and :welcome: to the forum.

I agree with just.me, all of the symptoms you describe are well known effects of long term cannabis use and you may also have some after effects of your previous drug use. Sometimes it can take years to get back to your usual self after taking drugs, some people never get back to their former self.

I would stop smoking the cannabis. Being tempermental and wanting a drink when you don't smoke green can be due to the psychological withdrawal of cannabis. Wanting the drink can be a way to try to replace the effects that cannabis was giving you.

To be honest if you do give it up you will have to accept that you will probably feel a whole range of emotions like anger, and they might feel intense as the cannabis has been dumbing them down all these years.

Most doctors are reticent to give a diagnosis when you are likely to be doing things that can negatively impact your mental health. Personally I would give up the cannabis for at least six months and see how you fare. Or if you want to see the GP be very honest about your current and past drug use as well as your symptoms and see what they have to suggest.