• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A breath of fresh air!

A

Apotheosis

Hello all,

Today I went for a long brisk walk through the country side near where I live, the sun was shinning & it lifted my spirits allot. I smoke allot of ciggies, & after coughing for a while, my chest cleared up quite a bit as well. I was low yesterday & pissed off with things, but getting out in the air & the sunshine & being around some trees; has been very therapeutic. I am definitely going to go more often.

This year I want to look seriously at getting more exercise & getting more healthy. I think that this impacts allot on overall mental health & state of mind. As well as more walking, I want to do more swimming, & take up Thai Chi lessons once a week. I do swim quite allot in the sea in the summer, but last year wasn't the best for swimming. This year I am more motivated to get out more & get the exercise.

It would be a very good thing for me to stop smoking, but I don't feel that I am ready to take this big step on board at the moment.

My diet is reasonably healthy. I did see a nutritionist a few years ago, & they recommended a dairy free, wheat free, sugar free diet. What's left !?, I enjoy coffee with milk & sugar too much, & I would get bored living on only fruit, veg & nuts - which is what they were suggesting. Has anyone tried such a radical diet or allot of nutritional supplements along with it? - high & varied doses of minerals & vitamins. I would be interested to know anyone's experiences of this.

D

Dollit

Why did a nutritionist recommend that sort of diet? No dairy, wheat or sugar - that means no cheese on toast, no chocolate, no nutella on bread - it would take away my reason for living if I stopped all that! My GP friend tells me if you eat a balanced diet you don't need extra vitamins etc. Vitamin C as an extra to diet isn't supposed to work anyway. I take enough pills & potions so don't do dietary supplements unless I'm ordered to. It's great you're going to get more exercise. I live near a little park, in fact my gate opens in to it, and there's a man who does his tai chi there on a weekend. He always looks really calm and together. Maybe he goes home and shouts at his kids but he looks peaceful. :clap:

A

Apotheosis

Hello Dollit, the method comes from the camp who put down mental illness to certain people being intolerant to certain food groups, & deficiencies in certain vitamins, minerals & compounds. Allot of these ideas are extolled by Patrick Holford & the Brain Bio Centre;

http://www.foodforthebrain.org/content.asp?id_Content=1638

I was basically told that I was deficient in certain key vitamins & minerals, & that I had a wheat & dairy allergy/intolerance. The sugar thing is explained on the web sight - that basically eating sugar causes a yo-yo effect with the bodies response by releasing insulin to bring down the sugar levels. A sugar rush, causes the release of insulin; which brings us down too much & low; so we eat more sugar: chocolate etc; for another sugar high, which releases more insulin, another low.....etc. Apparently we have about one & a half spoonfuls of sugar in the blood & we don't need extra.

The alternative theory of nutrition in regards to mental illness has an interesting history. I do think that nutrition does play a part in things, with some people more than others. Our modern diets are generally terrible, & it is difficult to get much goodness from allot of our food, I do think that additives, processed food & all the other rubbish in peoples diets do them no good at all. But personally I don't think nutrition is the whole story. I think that there are multiple & often complex factors which impact & cause a "mental health" condition. But good diet & nutrition can be of a very positive benefit I think.

It is one of many "alternatives" I have tried. I didn't persevere with the diet, but I do try to take supplements regularly. I enjoy my food very much & I don't want to exclude the pleasures of milky coffee & chocolate bars from my life.:tea:

D

Dollit

i have heard of Holford and he is considered to be a bit of a crank. There is no empirical study to support his theories. Most people who believe themselves to have a food intolerance go to an alternative practitioner who confirms the self-diagnosis. Most people who believe they have a food intolerance actually don't have one at all. A good well-balanced diet is all you need. A little of everything does you good. Re his food/mental health theory - I was once told that I was bipolar because I had 4 cats and I'd been exposed to toxoplasmosis - and goodness didn't that turn out to be a bit of a fib! I'm not knocking all alternative practices but tread carefully. :)

A

Apotheosis

i have heard of Holford and he is considered to be a bit of a crank. There is no empirical study to support his theories.
I know. I do take things with a large pinch of salt, but I'm willing to keep an open mind, & I read allot of "out there" stuff purely out of interest. I am aware of many theories on Mental illness. It is worth noting however that there is no definite evidence for the "Chemical imbalance theory" & also no evidence, or "proof" for genetic causes of MI. Despite the generally held miss conception that Mental Illness is caused by a chemical imbalance; this is an unproven theory.

]Most people who believe themselves to have a food intolerance go to an alternative practitioner who confirms the self-diagnosis. Most people who believe they have a food intolerance actually don't have one at all. A good well-balanced diet is all you need. A little of everything does you good. Re his food/mental health theory - I was once told that I was bipolar because I had 4 cats and I'd been exposed to toxoplasmosis - and goodness didn't that turn out to be a bit of a fib! I'm not knocking all alternative practices but tread carefully. :)
It is however difficult to get a well balanced diet, peoples diets are terrible. Our food is not as nutritious as it once was. But yes, I do agree with you, that a balanced diet is all you really need, if you have one.

I heard the Toxoplasmosis one as well, in relation to it causing schizophrenia, when infected cats are exposed to children &/or pregnant mothers. Some interesting ideas on Toxoplasmosis in relation to delayed reactions in people exposed. I grew up with allot of cats.

Heard the one that Schizophrenia is caused by a sleep disorder in which the sufferer doesn't get enough REM sleep or has faulty REM sleep?; resulting in literally - dreaming while awake. Interesting as well.

D

Dollit

I do some research for a GP on a health education project that he's founded and we regularly search for good science and bad science. Some of the stories out there are actually cutting edge science that could not possibly be understood by or having any meaning for the general public. Then the journalists in the mainstream newspapers who generally have no science training take the stories, twist them and that's why we have so many conflicting stories in the press. If I want the truth I read the abstract on pubmed and that gives the salient facts of the study in question. We talk to a lot of people, some of them with very good educational standards, but boy the stories they believe just because it was in the paper. You have a really healthy attitude towards this, it's quite refreshing. :)

A

Apotheosis

I do some research for a GP on a health education project that he's founded and we regularly search for good science and bad science. Some of the stories out there are actually cutting edge science that could not possibly be understood by or having any meaning for the general public. Then the journalists in the mainstream newspapers who generally have no science training take the stories, twist them and that's why we have so many conflicting stories in the press. If I want the truth I read the abstract on pubmed and that gives the salient facts of the study in question. We talk to a lot of people, some of them with very good educational standards, but boy the stories they believe just because it was in the paper. You have a really healthy attitude towards this, it's quite refreshing. :)
Thanks Dollit. Your research work sounds very interesting. I don't tend to flatly believe allot of what I hear & read through the general media outlets, or take it all at face value. I try to use some discernment, it sounds like you do the same. People should be more critical.

Last edited:
D

Dollit

If you'd like to look at the site that Hugh did with the 6th formers then it explains in detail what we do. Some feedback (via me on a pm) would be good - www.facts4life.org if you can spare some time. Thanks.

A

Apotheosis

If you'd like to look at the site that Hugh did with the 6th formers then it explains in detail what we do. Some feedback (via me on a pm) would be good - www.facts4life.org if you can spare some time. Thanks.
I look forward to looking at the link, but I am dashing out for a family dinner, & so it will have to be later. Have a good evening.

Paul

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
I was listening to the radio t'other day, and there was a scientist who'd done a prelim. study on the introduction of minerals and vitamins into prison populations where a 30% decrease in violent behaviour was noted...might be a link...

old one...

Psychiatric News October 4, 2002

and current...

Herald Sun January 30, 2008

D

Dollit

Interesting - I'd be very interested in the outcome. There has been theories re diet and behaviour but they tended to centre around the family eating together and therefore being a more cohesive unit rather than the content of the diet itself.

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
i tend to think all this wot to eat and wot not to eat stuff is all a bit faddy..

unless you have a serious allergy to wheat / lactose / nuts or whatever i think we should eat a good balance of everything... how would the human race have survived had we had to have a wheat free diet 500 years ago ?:rolleyes:

nest week they'll tell us wheat is a super food anyway :unsure:

D

Dollit

Well I still think chocolate is one of the main food groups :LOL:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Interesting - I'd be very interested in the outcome. There has been theories re diet and behaviour but they tended to centre around the family eating together and therefore being a more cohesive unit rather than the content of the diet itself.

I thought so, 30% contra a (blind?) control of 10% seems pretty drastic :eek:

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Well I still think chocolate is one of the main food groups :LOL:
Have you guys seen the film 'Chocolat'?. It was a really succesful book first I think...