• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

a bit of guidance

F

fernando

hello to all,
i'm a new kid on the block, and i'm looking for a bit of guidance.
i've been suffering depression for over 5 years and i'm learning to cope with it
(MOST of the time).I'm pretty fed up of riding this roller-coaster and want to get off!I'm looking for work ,both voluntary and paid in the mental health sector,i've also been looking at online courses but not sure what to do i don't want to waste money on something that turns out not to be recognised.
I live in the Bournemouth area and would be very grateful for ANY advice AND encouragement from both professional and non alike,the thing is i KNOW i would be good at helping people and there are a hell of a lot who need it but for some reason or another the system has let them down,i was one of those people.
thank you for reading this and hope to hear from someone soon
Take Care

A

Apotheosis

hello to all,
i'm a new kid on the block, and i'm looking for a bit of guidance.
i've been suffering depression for over 5 years and i'm learning to cope with it
(MOST of the time).I'm pretty fed up of riding this roller-coaster and want to get off!I'm looking for work ,both voluntary and paid in the mental health sector,i've also been looking at online courses but not sure what to do i don't want to waste money on something that turns out not to be recognised.
I live in the Bournemouth area and would be very grateful for ANY advice AND encouragement from both professional and non alike,the thing is i KNOW i would be good at helping people and there are a hell of a lot who need it but for some reason or another the system has let them down,i was one of those people.
thank you for reading this and hope to hear from someone soon
Take Care
Hi Fernando, :welcome: to the site

I live in the Bournemouth area too. I also know a Fernando; but I think it would be too much of a coincidence that you are them?

There are plenty of things to get involved with - MIND run a local befriending scheme. There is also a local drop in at Boscombe library, I think it's called 'what is?' where you can get advice on courses & voluntary work. You would have to ring the library & check when it is - I think it is on a Tuesday afternoon at 2ish. Here is the number for the library - 01202 452777. I went there & they gave me a lot of information, & lists of all the voluntary organisations in the area, as well as info about work & benefits.

http://www.bpd-mind.fsnet.co.uk/

Good luck with it all :)

F

fernando

thanks for the welcome

i'm not known as Fernando but am a big Liverpool fan,(not sure if you like football )hence the name .It was the first thing that came into my head when i was registering,don't know if that's sad for a 45 year old?
thanks for the info,also have a few other things i'm going to follow up, anyway as you know the area i'm off up Hengistbury Head with my dog for my own self-help therapy.
Thanks again

A

Apotheosis

i'm not known as Fernando but am a big Liverpool fan,(not sure if you like football )hence the name .It was the first thing that came into my head when i was registering,don't know if that's sad for a 45 year old?
Not the same person. But it is good to hear from someone else from Bournemouth on here. Football is a good interest to have. Personally I hate it; & think all football fields should be turned into nature reserves :evil:

thanks for the info,also have a few other things i'm going to follow up, anyway as you know the area i'm off up Hengistbury Head with my dog for my own self-help therapy.
Thanks again
I used to live in Southbourne; for a few years - I often used to walk around the head. It has an interesting vibe there; almost like you can feel the long history of the place; & get a sense of the ancient communities that have lived there in the past. I still go for walks there occasionally, & sometimes for a swim in the summer. What kind of dog do you have?

D

Dollit

Hi Fernando and welcome. I used to play football so I think that's a good name and I'm a bit older than you!

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hello and :welcome: Hope you find it helpful here
KS