• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

A bit about me

G

Gilypore

Hi there I am new to this forum, I have always had a concern I have always wondered whether it should be something I should be concerned about or not. I do not know if this is the right place as this is a general query so I'm sorry about that.

When I was about 9 I used to picture myself as an older person who was acting in the shows I liked as an extra, I did this to feel a connection to some of the characters I liked. As I grew older however, I began to talk to that person in my head; like an older version of myself exactly the same just 5 years older, effectively an imaginary friend. I would ask him questions and he would respond as if I asked them him and I gave him a life where I would go about my day and he would go about his. I would have moments where I wouldn't get a response as he would be asleep to me and then I would create a world for him. Effectively I had an imaginary friend who I gave a life to as an actor and grew up taking him into my adult years, still talking to him (im 25).

Now Its never that he has told me to do bad things or anything like that but when I do screenwriting I will take advice from him like he knows and I will respond. In actual fact he is like a moral compass sometimes and he helps me when I'm making the wrong decisions, telling me what is right.

Now I dont know if deep down I want to say he is not real because he kept me company as a child and was like a big brother to me. I've NEVER had a single issue with him and I would feel a bit empty without him. I just like escaping to his world sometimes and I have made and written screenplays with him (i know how that sounds).

I have always wondered is this anything i should be concerned about going forward, I have always feared things like schizophrenia or a personality disorder but maybe deep deep deep down I know it is just me but I feel less alone seeing it as a different version of me giving advice to myself where he and I both live our lives an meet up in the middle somewhere, I used to say that he was like a parallel me who was just a bit older than me. I just have this fear that this is something that I should be worried about but I've NEVER had any issue, I'm just a little scared that I need to see what other people think because I've never told a sole this?

Thank you for reading all this.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Hello Gilypore, I'm a voice hearer and have been for just over five years now and I've come to a belief.

My belief is that all humans consist of not one but two minds sharing the same body, and I'm not alone, a man has written a book back in 2008 all about this second consciousness and talks about many religions and cultures having a concept of duality, in chapter one he goes into detail of how some neurologists in the 1960's also came to the same belief after doing studies, the results of their studies suggested our consciousness resides in the left 'dominant' hemisphere of the brain while this second consciousness resides in the right hemisphere.

I see us as the driver of the body with this second mind being like a passenger along for the ride, I believe from talking to mine that they see, hear, feel, smell and taste what we do but they have a few senses or abilities of their own that make up for them not having a body all of their own to control.

Now this forum is highly populated with people who have trouble with their voices and trust me they can be a lot of trouble so I'm very happy to hear you and yours are getting along, I imagine it would have been nice if my voice had a moral compass that equals or is greater than my own but sadly that isn't the case, he's abused his power over me so I have to medicate him to make this dysfunctional relationship we have bearable.

So in short I believe your experiencing duality which in the future will be the norm as more and more people discover this (currently only 7-10% of people have had some kind of voice hearing experience). I believe there are very good reasons why most of them are content to remain hidden, most people would think they're mentally ill for hearing a voice that nobody else could hear and in the past people who did hear voices have been treated pretty badly to say the least.

G

Gilypore

Hello Gilypore, I'm a voice hearer and have been for just over five years now and I've come to a belief.

My belief is that all humans consist of not one but two minds sharing the same body, and I'm not alone, a man has written a book back in 2008 all about this second consciousness and talks about many religions and cultures having a concept of duality, in chapter one he goes into detail of how some neurologists in the 1960's also came to the same belief after doing studies, the results of their studies suggested our consciousness resides in the left 'dominant' hemisphere of the brain while this second consciousness resides in the right hemisphere.

I see us as the driver of the body with this second mind being like a passenger along for the ride, I believe from talking to mine that they see, hear, feel, smell and taste what we do but they have a few senses or abilities of their own that make up for them not having a body all of their own to control.

Now this forum is highly populated with people who have trouble with their voices and trust me they can be a lot of trouble so I'm very happy to hear you and yours are getting along, I imagine it would have been nice if my voice had a moral compass that equals or is greater than my own but sadly that isn't the case, he's abused his power over me so I have to medicate him to make this dysfunctional relationship we have bearable.

So in short I believe your experiencing duality which in the future will be the norm as more and more people discover this (currently only 7-10% of people have had some kind of voice hearing experience). I believe there are very good reasons why most of them are content to remain hidden, most people would think they're mentally ill for hearing a voice that nobody else could hear and in the past people who did hear voices have been treated pretty badly to say the least.
Thank you, out of curiosity what is the book?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
The book is called 'The Daemon - a guide to your extraordinary secret self' by Anthony Peake.

A 'Daemon' is the name the ancient philosopher Socrates gave to his voice, in Greek mythology it means guiding spirit. I prefer to call it my 'twin within', like you I see him as my brother, we were born together and grew and learned along side each other but he was hiding in the background of my mind influencing me in subtle ways. That was until a week before my 36th birthday when he began talking to me directly and taught me everything I know about their kind.

It wasn't an easy journey, he didn't exactly hand me all the details on a platter, I had to get the information I needed by reading between the lines and carefully observing what he could do over a period of time.

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi Gilypore welcome to the forum :welcome: