• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

A Balancing Act?

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
I wonder if other people feel that they have this balancing act to perform? :D - I should explain what I mean! Basically doing things makes me ill. By 'doing things' I mean engaging in any real-life social activity. Having to go to work made me so ill that I had to give it up. When I gave it up I got into a lot of disastrous self-medication (drink/drugs/excess) habits which I finally kicked with the help of a great therapist about 3 years ago. I then basically retreated to cyberland. Now I have started (over the past year or so) to venture out into the world again through this mental health activism stuff (which is what led me here :)). And I am noticing that this is having a cost - I am having more frequent bad patches albeit (fingers crossed) of short duration than I did a year ago. And I am sure the things are connected - real life activity equals depression. But I am enjoying it and it is worthwhile. So I guess its a question of balance. Anyway I just wondered if anyone else here had this kind of dilemma and how they resolved it (especially all the people with lots more experience of this than me)?

Nick.

D

Dollit

I find that the more stable I am mentally the more I can do but there is only so much I can do. I know if I'm starting to feel tired then I'm overdoing and I have to sit back a few days. I'm quite good at this and have a support network that makes me better at it. I think you have to find your absolute limits and adhere to them. I was asked to be a member of an international committee for an edemocracy group and realised that even though the meeting was only 4 times a year for two hours there would be filtering back and forth and having to become expert on the subject and so I recently resigned. The Chair has kept me in on the act and I get to have a voice anyway. When you see what I do on paper it looks a lot but it's not and I have a stack of people saying that they want to help if they can. And basically that's it, learn your limits, take advantage of people who offer to help and back out of stuff if you have to.

I can do four hours tops, twice a week and then I'm quite tired. I quite like forum time because I link up with people and it doesn't feel like work (well not usually!).

Be good to yourself and ease back in slowly. :hug:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
When you see what I do on paper it looks a lot but it's not and I have a stack of people saying that they want to help if they can. And basically that's it, learn your limits, take advantage of people who offer to help and back out of stuff if you have to.

I can do four hours tops, twice a week and then I'm quite tired. I quite like forum time because I link up with people and it doesn't feel like work (well not usually!).

Be good to yourself and ease back in slowly. :hug:
Sage words and good advice as ever Dollit :). I too can look fine on-line and do quite a bit which makes me look better than I am (not when I am in the pit of course but when I am just sorta average). Its the rl stuff that gets to me. As you say working out your own limits and sticking to them is the key - but as its all new to me that will probably take a little while.

Nick.