• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

9yr old says he hears voices

J

jsp2468

My 9 year old stepson says he hears 2 voices. One good and one bad He doesn't know their name. The bad one says to kill me, his stepmother, all the time. However, it only wants to kill his brother and dad sometimes.

There's no abuse in home and his 11 year old brother is well rounded. However, the 9 year old is VERY destructive, steals, habitually lies, sneaky, EXTREME temper tantrums, and nasty. I've caught him in his room rubbing his butthole, inside the pjs for enjoyment. He gets up in the middle of the Night while we are asleep, and just creeps into our rooms and quietly stares at us sleeping.

I spoke with his teacher and she says that he has been giving her a battle for control, and he only does what he wants to do.

is it possible the voices are just fabricated to gain control by scaring the bujesus out of us, and have no accountability for his actions?

I called mental health and scheduled an appointment. nevertheless, I'm rather afraid. with all this talk of " it" wanting me dead, I am afraid to be alone with him, Matter of fact, asleep at night, in the same house.

I need input!!!!!

Last edited:
T

Tiddle

Hi sorry to hear the problems you are having with your stepson sounds indeed like he has issues. Obviously not an expert so can't say what is wrong with him that's best left to mental health but something that sprang to my mind was reactive attachment disorder which has many of the behavioural problems you describe but there would have needed to be some kind of break in the bond with his mother or a reason why a secure attachment was not made. Doesn't even have to be abuse it could be an emotionally absent mother or the child spent time away from a caregiver etc. This would need to have occurred in the early time of life.

Could well be that he is lying about the voices but then it may be the truth. Best to get him seen as soon as possible and in the mean time presume they are real and take precautions to keep all family members safe.

You could try asking him if they are voices inside his head or does he hear them coming from outside like another person in the room that makes a difference in terms of psychotic versus non psychotic

J

jsp2468

re tiddle

his mom lost custody when he was 3 or so. she is a drug abuser. she only gets them every other weekend. she was incarcerated when he was a toddler.

there's never really been a healthy bond with his mom, although he loves her, I think. his feelings towards things are never genuine. at times I wander if he sociopathic tendencies. she says that he's mean even when he goes to her house. so the behavior doesnt improve when ever he is with her. the appt is scheduled for fri

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think the best thing in this situation is to get a professional involved and let them talk to him.
They can assess him and see if there are underlying mental health issues.
I can see how this must be very concerning for you and the whole family, but try not to worry too much at the moment because you obviously don't know if he is mentally ill or not.
Plus, the fact that he is openly talking to you about this (whilst upsetting) is a good sign. If he is being withdrawn and uncommunicative, then that may be further reason to be concerned.
It may just be that he's a challenging child and also it could also be that he's not telling the truth about the voices.. it's difficult for you to know.
As I said, if you can get him seen to by a professional then I think that's the best way forward for you.

T

Tiddle

With his history it does indeed sound like an attachment disorder but only a pro can tell you for sure.

There are some forums for parents/carers who have children who struggle with this. The sociopathic tendencies you feel he has are because he most likely can't attach but it's all on a spectrum right up to no attachment to anyone at all. There's lots of info about this out there but they say what is at the root of it all is that he is in deep pain, scared and probably feels he is bad

Good luck at the appointment I hope he gets some help whatever the issue may be