9 hours in A&E, yet sent home without seeing a pdoc

shaky

shaky

Yesterday I did some serious self-harm - the worst I've ever done
So I went to the local 'Urgent care' unit (we don't have A&E where I live) to get it looked at.
The nurse took one look and said 'we can't deal with that here'. She called an ambulance to take me to the proper Emergency Department in the city.
In the meantime she put steri-strips on the wound.

And then it took more than 5 hours for the ambulance to arrive
The paramedic from the ambulance handed me over to the hospital staff telling them about my complex mental health problems and the need for a psychiatric assessment.
And of course, I had to wait around all over again.

Eventually a junior doctor came and schecked my wound - said it looked fine
And asked the bare minimum of questions about my state of mind.
He went and talked to his consultant
And came back to say I'd be seen tomorrow (today actually, it was way past midnight by then) by the crisis team

And how did I propose to get home?

Thanks a freekin' lot
I've been dragged miles from home in the middle of the night to get no service whatsoever.
SURELY at the very least, a mental health nurse should have seen me.

Then he abandoned me.
I had to get a tazxi home - costing a lot of money because I live in another town.

And I still haven't seen anyone (it's 10am now - 16 hours after I arrived in hospital)

I'm going to put in a complaint
Not about the waiting, but about the lasck of MH assessment. I could be in mortal danger now.
I'm just lucky that I'm doing OK this morning.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Dear Shaky,
I'm sorry to hear you went through this crisis and didn't actually see any mental health professionals. The whole ordeal, including the waiting, was distracting from the original state of mind you were in when you self harmed. The opportunity to catch you in that state of mind came and went. I thought you were going on vacation ??

H

Helena1

So they didn't even treat the wound after all, or did they just send you to the hospital because it was self harm?

Are you at risk at the moment do you think, have you got the number for the crisis team in that case?

shaky

shaky

They did treat the wound. They put steri strips on. I thought taht was just a temporary measure, but the doctor at the main hodspital inspected it and said it looked fine.

I was going on vacation - but I was picked up by police as I walked yesterday and taken to mental hospital for assessment - they discharged me. But the stress and disappointment that caused me has shattered the emotional stability that I had had for the last few weeks.

H

Helena1

why did the police pick you up? that must have been stressful. can you go on holiday another time? I hope you haven't lost much money.

shaky

shaky

why did the police pick you up? that must have been stressful. can you go on holiday another time? I hope you haven't lost much money.
It was a walking holiday.
When I walk I wear unconventional clothes. A loincloth instead of shorts, and a funny hat. And barefoot
People apparently phoned up and complained.
And when the policemn learnt about my mental health history (when he called in my name to the police database), he assumed I was mentally unwell.

E

exyz

Gosh Shaky that is awful treatment:hug1:
Last time I was in A and E some eejit dressed as a doctor asked me if I were a matriarch and then told me I needed a good holiday. That was it Zippo.

But I digress.

Get in touch with these people
Warwickshire health and social care issues - Healthwatch Warwickshire

It's disgraceful you were left like this. Where are you now, hospital or home or elsewhere ?
Big hug Shaky xx

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Shaky,
Sorry you've had a bad experience, hope the wound heals okay.
I'd complain as well.
Take care

shaky

shaky

I've already filled in a survey about my experience on the hospital website
And I'm going to contact healthwatch too
I just feel so tired and overwhelmed at the moment - I'll do it when I'm a bit stronger.
:(

E

exyz

I'm not surprised you are tired Shaky, you must be exhausted.
Try and be as kind to yourself as you can today.
Lots of love from us, we care about you.
:hug:

shaky

shaky

It was a walking holiday.
When I walk I wear unconventional clothes. A loincloth instead of shorts, and a funny hat. And barefoot
People apparently phoned up and complained.
And when the policemn learnt about my mental health history (when he called in my name to the police database), he assumed I was mentally unwell.
I feel that I should mention, on his behalf, that I did tell the policeman that a spirit had told me to walk to the sea.
I suppose he would have heard that as 'hearing voices - and obeying them'

S

Stormcloud

Mental health services are a joke, they all need shaking to the core. I remember being in crisis once and I took an overdose they sent me home in the middle of the night. xx

shaky

shaky

That wasn't the end of the story.

The next day I was expecting a call or visit from the crisis team (this was Wednesday) but nothing happened.
After more self-harm I rang them
They said that I wasn't on their list, but the recovery team were the people I needed - except that the recovery team only work 9-5 and this was at 7pm
The crisis team man said he would send an email
And then I lost my rag - threw my phone down and self-harmed again

I had to go to the urgent care again and wait for another ambulance and sit in A&E in the middle of the night again
This tie I did get to see a mental health nurse who promised me I'd be seen this time
I had to go home in a taxi again

On this new day I DID get an appointment to see someone from the recovery team, but all she could offer was an appointment to see the psych doc the next morning.
I was able to take a tablet of Risperidone - something I find incredibly hard.
So hopefully that is helping to keep me calm and safe.

Somehow I got through the night and saw the pdoc today.
I am seeing him again on Monday.
We decided to leave the crisis team out of it since every time someone mentions them I get rather irate and uncontrollable

I don't know of anyone who has a good thing to say about the crisis team where I live.

So for now I hope I can stay safe until Monday

It has been one of the msot exhausting weeks of my entire life. :faint:

Last edited:
burt tomato

burt tomato

Forum Guide
I think you should take your medicine pal. We all have to do that.

shaky

shaky

As I expected, the peace eventually evaporated.
I still feel mostly stable though (the weather helps) and being on holiday I am just chilling out in the warmth of the garden.
But I am fragile as hell - when anything doesn't go my way I collapse.
I made a phone call enquiry to Bipolar UK, nothing desperate, just wanting an appointment - but the phone went to the answer phone instead of a person and I just burst into tears.

So Im OK
but not OK
If you know what I mean

E

exyz

Bipolar UK have changed, you leave them a phone message and they promise to ring you back within 3 days....:rolleyes: There is no direct phone support now.

Guess you are stuck with us for a while....

I hope that you start to get some support in 3D soon, go and see the GP as soon as Shaky x

shaky

shaky

I've put a complaint into the CQC*
It was because I wasn't seen by a mental health person when I went to A&E, which I think is pretty poor practice and could have left me in extreme danger.
(I was lucky this time).

*(Care Quality Commission - for folk in other countries who don't know, this is the organisation assesses and inspects health service providers in England)

E

exyz

I think it's really shabby and it really was downright dangerous the way you were left. At least the police and ambulance driver tried to get you to a safe place.

Except the hospital wasn't a safe place when you got there. Shame on them...