• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

8yr old with anexity/OCD we are in crisis mode, please help

8yrolddad

Hi everyone

My 8 year old has ocd/anxiety issues. It started when she was 6 and she thought she was going to choke and having panic attacks about her throat closing, stopping breathing, heart not pumping. She did not eat anything solid for 6 weeks. When it first started, getting her to drink was a challenge, but she started drinking pedisure's to keep her as health as possible. She was put on Prozac which completed turned her around, and made her lose her fear anxiety for choking, throat closing, heart stop pumping. However she lost a lot of her empathy and was very mean to her siblings.

She had another incident 8 months later that caused her anxiety for choking, throat closing and all those fun things to come up again. The Prozac limited the issue and we were back to normal again within 2 weeks with no real downfall in weight or nutrition.

After that our psychiatrist put her in a program and she was diagnosed with OCD. When she gets worried it manifests into these fears of choking, throat closing, stopping breathing and because of the OCD she cant let go of the thoughts or overcome them. He decided to put her on Luvox because he thought it would work better.

At the end of February there was a lock down drill at her school and she got stuck hiding in the bathroom. Needles to say, a child with her conditions could not handle it. All the anxiety from that incident manifested it into the usual suspects. Only this time the Luvox did not regulate it and it has been a nose dive since. We are at the point now where she will not even swallow her saliva sometime.

Her psychiatrist gave her risperdone which caused things to go even farther down the drain. We spent 14hrs at the children's hospital with the emergency psychiatrist yesterday.

They increased the Luvox from 50mg a day to 75mg and gave us Clonazepen .125mg twice a day and Lorazepam .25mg up 4 times a day as needed.

The Clonazepen and Lorazepam seem to snap her out of the panic attacks short term but do not help with the fear of choking. For the most part she is now swallowing saliva and drinking a little bit.

We have an appointment with her psychiatrist in 2 days and they asked us to look into Remeron and to be prepared to discuss is.

Does any one have any medication advice? We are looking for short term health just to get her healthy and then get back with the CBT again.

Does anyone know any other good websites for questions or other info?

To say we are emotionally spent is an understatement. Any help is welcome.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
The first thing I would say is to not let some ethically challenged nut job psych pump your baby for of harmful drugs, when actually there is no biological evidence they even work!!
He has put your 8 year old child on anti-psychotic!!! have you looked at the damage they do to vital organs?? and they are called anti-psychotics because that's what they are for-psychosis!!

Have you read any books or taken her to see a counsellor?? Has Dr's appointments been your first answer?? I would argue that the prozac helping is far more to do with placebo than it ever was the drug itself.

My Niece has gone through 2 episodes of a similar nature. Both times it has been when there has been quite a lot of change in her life and as a result she has gone off her food, saying she has something wrong with her throat, constantly coughing and spitting saliva. She has not wanted to go to school and has not wanted to be away from her Mum, talking about intrusive thoughts about her being hurt and she has also taken to excessive hand washing. So I do understand and understand that it can be quite distressing for the whole family.

Both times my sister has been very autonomous when it came to school, allowing her to stay home if she pleased. She has not made a fuss of the 'issues' but instead concentrated on more positive things but reassured her that the rest will go and to try A) not to worry about it B)do her best not to do it (e.g hand washing) making a fuss of her everyday for the improvement....

I could go on but I am sure you get my drift? she has been fine for over a year now and is just as outgoing as before. Some children of a more sensitive nature go through periods like this imo and I am sure there is plenty of information on methods to help your daughter. I wouldn't trust a person who diagnoses a child before they are even developed and is quick to prescribe harmful drugs that will shorten her lifespan and perhaps even induce psychosis!

I understand that you just want to help your baby and I am sure you need something to believe in that will make things better. I truly think you sound a loving and concerned parent. But personally I would not allow someone with NO knowledge (other than guess work) as to what even causes her problems. I am sure the psych will try and tell you different but if you look on-line you will find plenty of Dr's and prof's at the top of their field who will condemn that practice!

I hope whatever road you go down to try and help your daughter that it works and she lives a healthy and happy life<3

Best wishes to you xx

D

Deliah

It sounds like your daughter is really suffering. I agree with the above. I recommend mindfulness training and lots of love. Look to the positives for her. Tell her she is beautiful. Praise her. Maybe don't overly focus on or stress out about what she is doing. I think the more attention you give it more stressed she will be. Maybe try getting her involved in food preparation. Do nice things. Let her know that she's loved. It's possible for her to recover but not through meds in my view. It's masking what's really going on not fixing it. Love to you, I can see that you have trusted the doctors word. Don't give over such decisions regarding your daughters wellbeing to such people. You know her better. love D xxx

8yrolddad

She has over 50 hours of CBT therapy over the past two years. Her therapists all think she is doing great and them boom we are into crisis mode again. They are giving us this meds to help keep us out of the hospital permanently. We are very close to having to feed from IV's and maybe even a tube. She has lost over 15% of her weight. Trust me, I have and will continue to challenge all the doctors on everything they give her. Right now we are focused on just getting her out of her panic attack mode. Talk therapy will not get her through it short term. We have experienced this before, her short term health is our main concern at the moment.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
CBT is not the therapy I was talking about. Cbt concentrates on what is wrong with her and gives her the tools to deal with that. she needs someone to ask her about how she feels ... not whether she did what they told her to when ill.

I agree with Nikita that it all seems very, very focussed on her as an illness and I think is just causing her trauma. Also, giving anti-psychotics to a child should be illegal!! I wish you had found a psych that wasn't so happy to start with cbt and drugging before all other options were explored. Maybe ask then to try a placebo and see if it works?? bit of magical thinking.

I don't think I can help you any further but I really feel for you and the position you are in and truly hope she makes a recovery soon

Best of wishes xxx

D

Deliah

Sounds really tough for you and her. I wish you all well. CBT is thinking focused and mindfulness is a different awareness altogether. In the uk, they are starting to offer them together. May be worth exploring. When we are stressed, old patterns come up, if she can gain an awareness of this and make different choices then she will not continue in the same behaviours. Keep exploring options for her. I wish you well. Mindfulness will open her eyes. At the moment she can't control what she does, she no choice because that is what her mind is doing, when you learn mindfulness you have options, possibility and a changing perspective. Maybe it is something for you to look into also. It's the most powerful thing we can do for ourselves as humans. love to you D xx

8yrolddad

I should have explained that better, It is CBT at the start to give her tools to deal with it and moved more into regular talk therapy with a new therapist. She has just been talking with a therapist for the last 12 month.

The Lorazepam does wonders for her short term, about an hour or so of her being herself. This is only the second day of us having that drug. After she took it we got her to eat a popsicle to get her energy level up. She has no had 3 popsicles today and a pedisure. Probably over 500 calories today which is 400 more than yesterday and it is only 1:30

Hopefully when we get into our psych doctor tomorrow, we can a better plan going forward, but it would not have happened with the Lorazepam. Hopefully we can ride this small wave to getting her off these meds soon.

blueflames

blueflames

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wish you all the best, I really do.

Maybe come back in 6 months and let us know how she is getting on?

Love to you and your family xx

Kerome

Kerome

I kind of have to agree with the others, prescribing a lot of drugs to an eight year old kid is "in" at the moment but I don't think its responsible behaviour, especially for a still growing body and mind. The drugs are quite heavyweight and often have significant side effects, and can be difficult to get off again. Your child could be stuck on them for life, if she keeps taking them.

If your psych persists with these kinds of tactics I'd advise trying to find another, more old fashioned doctor to fall back on some of the older techniques that were used in the days before prescribing drugs became so popular.

In my opinion as a user of some of these drugs the goal should be to get off all antipsychotics, and down to no more than one other drug, with a strict goal to be drug free in six months.

8yrolddad

Thank you everyone. We spent the weekend at the hospital, getting her hydrated again. She has started drinking and is getting around 1600 calories a day now.

We found better doctors and she is starting EMDR therapy and CBT with a new psychologist and a new psychiatric team. Things are looking up.