• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

8 Months of hell

R

robotgirl

8 months ago after being told to stop venlafaxine overnight, I started with the most horrific anxiety so much so that I had to leave my house in London and move back with my parents in Yorkshire. The anxiety is still there but now its the most crippling depression. I haven't been back to London since, even though I have a room in a house with friends. I'm seeing a Psychiatrist but he just keeps throwing medicine at me which isn't helping. The most i've had is 6 weeks (in parts) of feeling just "ok" not well enough to go out and do much, but not in crisis. The rest of the time its horrific.

I'm currently on Venlafaxine 75mg, Trazodone 150mg, Haloperidol 1mg and also 3mg of Lorazepam still. It's so bad I've had to call the crisis hotline today and they've said they'll try get me an emergency appointment with my psych but surely I shouldn't be on all the medication if none of it is actually working. He referred me for counselling, so I went along for an assessment last week and the guy turned round and said it would be a 5 month wait. WTAF.

Please help guys, I don't know what to do anymore. I just want to be well and be able to return to my normal life and to be able to feel happiness again.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi robotgirl

i am sorry you are having such a tough time. I also have not found drugs that worked for me. Unfortunately the psychiatrists just believe the drugs will work and keep adding more drugs or changing this one or that one. But for some people the drugs do not help.

it it is good you are on the waiting list for counselling. I think you need to ask them if there is any extra support you can have in the meantime.

if you can afford it, you could try private therapy / counselling. It can be expensive, but some places do offer cheaper options for people who are short of money. It is worth looking into.

The other possibility is to find ways to help yourself, through self-help books or online research. This is one site I have found useful which is a free online course to treating depression without drugs:

Depression - Understand it, Treat it, Beat it

How to Use Clinical-Depression.co.uk

wishing you well, Sarah.

R

robotgirl

Hi Sarah,
I'm currently looking into low income therapy and I think I've found one to call tomorrow. It's just frustrating, when I've tried to talk about my medication and why I'm on two anti depressants, as well as an anti psychotic and the benzos but he just changes the conversation and won't give me a proper answer.

Kerome

Kerome

This is a big problem with modern UK psychiatrists, They have become psychopharmacologists, pill pushers to the exclusion of almost everything else, and if you want a different form of therapy they are often reluctant to refer you.

Although I have to say the ones here in the Netherlands tend to be a bit better. They still push pills, but they have a better handle on other therapies.

C

Christobel

Hi Robotgirl. Your experience is much the same as mine. I would get to a crisis and have to go into hospital for a change of meds, but still have the terrible depression and anxiety. I was also on ven, haloperidol and benzos. They said I was treatment resistant, but the meds kept coming. In the end they tried a mood stabiliser (Lithium) which worked for me.

R

robotgirl

Oh really Christobel? what dose of Lithium? I'm on the micro dose of Haldol which helps with the anxiety but now its the depression. Its either one or the other it seems. When all this started, I was taken off Venlafaxine 150mg overnight and put on Citalopram 20mg which made my anxiety rocket and I had to be given valium from the hospital. I was put on trazodone and then told that I needed to go back on venlafaxine and I'd be fine in a month or so. That never happened and going back onto 150mg of Ven gave me horrific tics and body jerks and bad depression. I was then referred to the psychiatrist who dropped the ven down to 75mg and then added trazodone 150mg to help me sleep. It didn't help with the anxiety so he added the Haldol (1mg) about 7 weeks ago which has helped with the anxiety but now I have crippling depression. I don't know why I'm still on Ven really.

pepecat

pepecat

Who on earth got you to stop venlafaxine overnight?

R

robotgirl

pepecat, a GP. I even questioned him about it but he insisted that I could stop taking it and just start taking the citalopram the next day. I was bouncing off the walls and needed valium, sadly 8 months later I'm still recovering from it. If I had the energy I'd sue them.

R

robotgirl

I'm looking into getting a second opinion, has anyone in the UK done this and what was the result?. From what I've read its up to the discretion of the person you're seeing, which seems pointless as obviously the psych isn't gonna turn round and say "yes see someone else".

SarahD

SarahD

I have never asked for a second opinion, although I have been passed around psychiatrists because in the UK they are organised in teams, eg hospital psychs, Home Treatment Team psychs, Recovery Team psychs, and the very last one actually did a thorough review and made her own diagnosis. They are all drug pushers though.

You can ask to see someone else, maybe think of an excuse, like if yours is male say you would rather see a female. I don't know though! Not easy to know what to do. I think he/she would probably have to agree if you asked.