• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

7 months on from my attempted suicide. I’m afraid employers won’t hire me again.

G

gettingthere123

I found myself in a very tough situation last year. I was in an emotional and sexually abusive relationship. I got out. After reliving the pain of the relationship, I decided it got too much and attempted to take my own life; I survived it.

Since then, I have been recovering with the help of family and friends, counselling. I used to be so happy and professional in the work place. My attempted suicide became quite public after I was found my a member of society passing by. I worked with children, but it wasn’t full time. But I had studied at college to earn this job and worked very hard. I am scared of the consequences of what I did and never been able to work with children again or being hired.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Forum Volunteer
You are proving to them all that you are trying to get better, so they shouldnt refuse to employ you based on mental health issues, thats discrimination :hug:

G

gettingthere123

You are proving to them all that you are trying to get better, so they shouldnt refuse to employ you based on mental health issues, thats discrimination :hug:
But how am I supposed to prove it to them if they don’t hire me? And it’s not evidently discrimination: they decide who they want and who they don’t.

L

LostToTheMusic

I think its against the Law (at least in Germany) for Employers to ask or judge about mental or sexual illness. So if you know that you will because more self confident and happier, which im sure you will hence the fact that you search for help here, you dont have to tell them. And if they ask, and you feel like you have to respond just be honest. Most of the employers are also just people so im sure they will understand and see, that you are trying everything possible to get healthier again.

R

RTLP

I don’t think you will have any issues with employment. Your job is in demand and you don’t pose any danger for children.

N

Nukelavee

Don't tell them. Don't even mention it.

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Forum Volunteer
But how am I supposed to prove it to them if they don’t hire me? And it’s not evidently discrimination: they decide who they want and who they don’t.
that is a good question its the chicken and egg question - how can you prove anything if you dont get given the chance to prove you can do it :hug:

i dont know you but i truly believe you can get a job, not neccessarily the exact job title you want but a suicide attempt should not prevent you from ever getting work :hug:

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
Hi,
The only thing that would prevent you from working with children,is if you were deemed a risk to them.
A suicide attempt is a risk to yourself not others.
You are doing all you can to get better, an employer isn't allowed to discriminate against you.
I hope you'll be okay.
Hugs

JessisMe

JessisMe

Because your attempt was highly public I think you have the right to be concerned about whether you will be welcomed back at your old job again. Your choice could be seen as instability, poor judgement, any of a number of things that would make you less than a solid candidate to be working with children. Alternatively your employer might have no issue with it at all. To be safe I would consider thinking about a Plan B or a fallback plan just to make sure you have a safety net if your current job does not work out.

G

gettingthere123

Because your attempt was highly public I think you have the right to be concerned about whether you will be welcomed back at your old job again. Your choice could be seen as instability, poor judgement, any of a number of things that would make you less than a solid candidate to be working with children. Alternatively your employer might have no issue with it at all. To be safe I would consider thinking about a Plan B or a fallback plan just to make sure you have a safety net if your current job does not work out.
I never had a job in the first place. I am and was a sub teacher. Where I’m from it’s very hard to get a full time job anyway.

J

jamraspberry

I found myself in a very tough situation last year. I was in an emotional and sexually abusive relationship. I got out. After reliving the pain of the relationship, I decided it got too much and attempted to take my own life; I survived it.

Since then, I have been recovering with the help of family and friends, counselling. I used to be so happy and professional in the work place. My attempted suicide became quite public after I was found my a member of society passing by. I worked with children, but it wasn’t full time. But I had studied at college to earn this job and worked very hard. I am scared of the consequences of what I did and never been able to work with children again or being hired.
I went through a similar situation. A trickster ex-friend sexually exploited me online and in real life. I developed more mental health issues, especially self-shame and I ended up in A&E (overdosed). I thought my life was not going to continue. A stranger in the hospital gave me a talk about why I should not attempt suicide ever again, that stranger was an angel. I still can't believe I am alive.