5mg Aripiprazole enough? Will it work?

L

Lorlakay

Hi, I have unfortunately been having psychosis for around 2 years almost constantly (by this I mean mostly every day not continuously) mostly where I hear people talking to and about me, I feel pins and needle sensations in my head and have visually hallucinated a handful of times.

I’ve seen a psych and they were not going to prescribe just continue with early intervention service but I insisted I need meds I can’t do this on my own I need something to help and get me back to how I was before.

They prescribed me 5mg Aripiprazole for 6 weeks? I don’t understand as surely this is too low to help rid me of voices if it works? Any experience on this please advise

I feel i should also add the psych was reluctant to prescribe also due to a previous serious overdose but I am a million percent I won’t do it again

Parayana

Parayana

Hi @Lorlakay, it's not uncommon to start on a low dose and see if it works, I have had very similar symptoms to yours and they were brought under control with meds, as for overdosing I am on a timed injection called a depot injection that lasts for a couple of weeks due to taking serious overdoses on pills, I haven't tried to OD in the best part of ten or fifteen years (so long ago I forget when) due to being stable on meds.

L

Lorlakay

Hi, thanks for your reply, I am worried that the typical starting dose should be 10mg and I’m worried it’s not enough. I guess deep down I’m looking for a ‘quick fix’ so to speak even though I know since I’ve had this for a long time it may take a long time to become well. Do you think they will increase after 6 weeks to an appropriate dosage? I feel 5mg is fat too low to be effective in any way.

I was not aware you could have an injection, they asked me if we prescribe you meds how do we know you won’t take them all I replied I had no plans to do so again and was given 6 week worth 5mg per day Aripiprazole

Thanks again :) and so glad to hear you are now stable on meds, do you hear voices still (presuming you have done so) ? Or have they gone away? How has meds helped?

J

Jules5

How many times a day do you take the medication? I was on have doses of meds and just freaked out over side effects. Now I am down to almost nothing after withdraw from 9 years of taking them. I am sorry you are not feeling well and up to par. I sure hope the meds do work for you. As far as prescribing anything else that would be up to your GP. Lots of hugs and love Jules

Parayana

Parayana

@Lorlakay, I only suffer symptoms when I have been without sleep for too long or have drunk to much alcohol but I haven't drunk any booze in two months now. It took me two years and several changes in meds to stop my symptoms, then they came back after eight years but I was drinking heavily at the time, I had a change in meds and cut down on the booze and have been largely symptom free for another eight years.

L

Lorlakay

Hi, thanks for your reply, I’ve been put on 5mg Aripiprazole one tablet a day

Skynet

Skynet

I'm on 5mg Aripiprazole as well and it appears to be successfully controlling my psychosis.

N

natalie

Hi,

Although I have mild forms of szchiophrenia, I have had a big big pshycosis breakdown, back in 2004. Through trauma, stress, I have heard voices conditions, now, 5mg wasn't working, simply wasn't enough, tired up to gradually 20ml, and I have another problem paranoia, people talking about me wondering if, that kind of thing, so up to 20ml wasn't any good, this is not until 25ml came along, and although I have particular side effect in small doses, up to 20ml, wasn't any good, and at 25ml the rest as they say is history.

Now I need to control my main symptons, of szchiophrenia, the pshycosis affect is very well now, being heard voices, or sounds, etc, so 25ml is far the best dose, for me.

i would like to suggest, that you try to listen or view music, this might not work in your case.

i would go back, to your GP, general doctor practioner, and seek a referral, for a 2nd p doc, from a completely different one, and please do still continue with the interviening service, couldn't remember the word for the 2nd, these are the best people in their field, to support and assist you. I can't speak of the invention service, as i have never been prescribed them myself, only medication.

I do hopefully wish you well.

Parayana

Parayana

@natalie has a point I find listening to old rock and punk on spotify on my phone helps me relax when I'm out and about and calms the paranoia.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Originally when I was prescribed Aripiprazole I started on 5mg for 3 days before going up to 10mg for 7 days then increased up to the maximum of 30mg over a 3 week period.

I found that 30mg was too much and I was experiencing side effects like restless legs, I was then switched to Risperidone over time but found the best results were on a combination of the two, so I'm now on 10mg of Aripiprazole and 4mg of Risperidone and that does the trick.

I still hear a voice but his volume is reduced by around 95% so I can easily ignore him so don't worry too much and think it doesn't work if you still hear voices, even 5mg protects you from going back into full psychosis.