• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

5 sneaky Signs of Depression you may be overlooking.

amathus

amathus

5 Uncommon Signs of Depression You May Be Overlooking | World of Psychology

'Things have changed a lot in the past 30 years when it comes to our ideas about depression. In the 1980s and even the 1990s, people often still saw it as a moral weakness, a sign of being “crazy,” or as something to be dismissed completely.

Today most people not only know someone who has struggled openly with depression, but they can probably also rattle off a handful of symptoms just from watching the many depression medication television commercials that dominate the airwaves. The voiceover asks “Are you always sad and tearful? Have you lost interest in things you used to enjoy? If so, ask your doctor about this medication.”

These changes have been mostly for the better, reflecting a greater openness toward mental health treatment. An increased awareness of depression and its symptoms means someone is more likely to seek help and treatment. A willingness to talk about scary symptoms like suicidal thoughts keeps people safer and is inching us away from a culture that likes to hide problems under the rug.'

ScaredCat

ScaredCat

I didnt think these were oncommon signs of depression but maybe thats cos I am an expert on depression if you know what i mean:unsure:

pepecat

pepecat

Yep, I had four out of those five symptoms.......
One of the things the gp asked me initially was whether I'd lost / gained weight.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Im not bored of my lifestyle, I enjoy my own company and not being out places with lots of annoying people

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Yep - experience all of those things.
The aches and pain are the worse and what I feel are most overlooked.
I don't think people understand just how much depression can make your feel fatigued, your body aching and almost flu-like. When it's hard to get out of bed, it's not just the thought of it that makes it difficult, it's the physical act of getting up and about. :low: