• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

5 Days off citalopram

J

juakali

So after a year of taking 10mg of citalopram, i decided that a few of the ongoing side effects i was facing didn't warrant me being on the medication anymore. My general level of happiness has always been somewhat low, but i felt i wanted to tackle this now being medication free and my god...

The first 3 days were fine, no symptoms, felt slightly lower than usual, day 4 i felt a weird headache which i just could not shift accompanied by some dizziness.

Day 5 has been hell. I've felt a constant feeling of dizziness and my anxiety has creeped back as well as feel constantly tired and drained. As 10mg was such a low does i thought it would be a doddle compared to some of the other horror stories i've heard but heck this feels bad. How long does this typically last? I really don't feel like i can carry on going to work right now whilst going through this!

M

Marianda

So after a year of taking 10mg of citalopram, i decided that a few of the ongoing side effects i was facing didn't warrant me being on the medication anymore. My general level of happiness has always been somewhat low, but i felt i wanted to tackle this now being medication free and my god...

The first 3 days were fine, no symptoms, felt slightly lower than usual, day 4 i felt a weird headache which i just could not shift accompanied by some dizziness.

Day 5 has been hell. I've felt a constant feeling of dizziness and my anxiety has creeped back as well as feel constantly tired and drained. As 10mg was such a low does i thought it would be a doddle compared to some of the other horror stories i've heard but heck this feels bad. How long does this typically last? I really don't feel like i can carry on going to work right now whilst going through this!
NO!!! dont do that!! A month ago I cut my antidepresants, i am with escitalopram because here they dont sell citalopram . I used to take citalopram while living in USA.
Well I quit cold turkey and I started feeling extremely happy.
As days went by I realized my brain was not working well. I woke up on a saturday and went to the Court ( I am an attorney) thinking it was friday. Any way i dismissed that thinking it was a mistake. I was off my medicines for 13 days. On day #13 my blood pressure went to the floor, I could barely walk and I started having terrible palpitations and felt dizzy and weak. I thought I was dying. I immediately resumed the meds but Im only taking half of the pill (5 mg). Im doing well but I have problems to sleep. You have to taper off, little by little.

J

JuneBug104

Marianda is right you should be tapering. In most areas as long as you’re not a threat to yourself or others no one can force you to be on these kinds of drugs, so your doctor/psychiatrist will likely be willing to help you with a taper.

M

Marianda

Marianda is right you should be tapering. In most areas as long as you’re not a threat to yourself or others no one can force you to be on these kinds of drugs, so your doctor/psychiatrist will likely be willing to help you with a taper.
I havent been in a psychiatrist office for years. I can buy my meds here with no prescription. I decided to taper off because the antidepressants were killing me. I felt swollen, I had a huge fatigue, i was more depressed than ever. Thats why i decided to quit the meds. By the way this is not the first time. I had many failed attempts of quitting the meds. But now Im very happy im getting by with 5mg a day. I dont feel that horrible fatigue.

J

juakali

10mg is the minimum dose for citalopram here. I spoke to the doctor and she said i can just stop taking them. The mentioned side effects however didnt not correlate to what she described

M

Marianda

10mg is the minimum dose for citalopram here. I spoke to the doctor and she said i can just stop taking them. The mentioned side effects however didnt not correlate to what she described
She should have tell you to taper slowly. Well im not a doctor but that is what ive heard always.

A

AuraSunset

I felt worse on citalopram than off it, so I also just stopped taking them. Big mistake! I felt fine to for a few days but then I began to feel truly awful. I had headaches like never before, terrible shooting pains in my hands and legs, bizarre and horrific dreams, nausea and my anxiety went through the roof. This went on for about 8 days in total, but the last few days were less severe. I wish I'd done it gradually in hindsight, but I don't regret getting off them.

M

Marianda

I felt worse on citalopram than off it, so I also just stopped taking them. Big mistake! I felt fine to for a few days but then I began to feel truly awful. I had headaches like never before, terrible shooting pains in my hands and legs, bizarre and horrific dreams, nausea and my anxiety went through the roof. This went on for about 8 days in total, but the last few days were less severe. I wish I'd done it gradually in hindsight, but I don't regret getting off them.
Well the important thing is that you got over it. The withdrawal process from antidepressives is horrible.

Catty5

Catty5

I went through “cold turkey” when I came off Lexapro. It took a while. But it’s gone eventually. It was hard.

M

Marianda

I experienced every single withdrawal symptom that textbooks say....
Wow!!! Im impressed. During my last failed attempt I almost collapsed on day 13. Blood pressure was so low, dizzy, weak, the brain zaps would not stop. Lexapro is horrible. Withdrawal in general is horrible. Thats why i dont take seroquel even when it makes me sleep and helps with depression. I'd rather stick to my alprazolam. Withdrawal from alprazolam is not a big issue for me.

Catty5

Catty5

Wow!!! Im impressed. During my last failed attempt I almost collapsed on day 13. Blood pressure was so low, dizzy, weak, the brain zaps would not stop. Lexapro is horrible. Withdrawal in general is horrible. Thats why i dont take seroquel even when it makes me sleep and helps with depression. I'd rather stick to my alprazolam. Withdrawal from alprazolam is not a big issue for me.
I went through it even if it was a real torture. I didn’t take any antidepressant for almost a year after that.

M

Marianda

I went through it even if it was a real torture. I didn’t take any antidepressant for almost a year after that.
Im on 5mg a day. Im not sure i can function with less. Ill try but not right now because sometimes i feel a little bit of depression. This lower dose is helping me to get rid of the horrendous fatigue i was feeling. This antidepresants were causing me so much fatigue. This never happened with Celexa in the usa.

Catty5

Catty5

Im on 5mg a day. Im not sure i can function with less. Ill try but not right now because sometimes i feel a little bit of depression. This lower dose is helping me to get rid of the horrendous fatigue i was feeling. This antidepresants were causing me so much fatigue. This never happened with Celexa in the usa.
They say lots of people keep Lexapro 5mg since it still works. I had energy when I was on Lexapro. 10mg. I don’t feel tired anymore now with Fluoxetine 40mg.