• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

4 years of hell

V

Voices999

I took methampetamine for the first time 4 years ago. I started hearing voices almost instantly. As I continued using I eventually developed scitzophrenia and still hear voices on a daily basis. The medication helps a bit but my life’s a mess. Anyways it’s good to be on the forum where I hopefully can get support. Thanks

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Hi, @Voices999, it was strong amphetamines, that I suspect was probably meth that caused my Schizophrenia, compounded by years of cannabis use, it's not a common drug here in the UK so may have just been amphetamine base, I'm lucky I don't really hear voices now due to meds, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and i ahve some degree of understanding of your situation.

V

Voices999

Hi, @Voices999, it was strong amphetamines, that I suspect was probably meth that caused my Schizophrenia, compounded by years of cannabis use, it's not a common drug here in the UK so may have just been amphetamine base, I'm lucky I don't really hear voices now due to meds, I just wanted to say welcome to the forum and i ahve some degree of understanding of your situation.
How has scitzophrenia affected your life. I’m still in huge denial about the disease and am having a hard time starting to live with it.

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

It caused me a lot of problems for a very long while but since I've accepted I'm going to have paranoid thoughts even with meds things have got a lot easier.

V

Voices999

Are you able to work and live your life or are you on disability

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Sorry, got a really upset stomach and need to log out, speak later.

Someoldguy

Someoldguy

How did either of you conclude methamphetamine caused your mental illness?

I'm genuinely interested, as I'm rather embarrassed to admit I experimented with methamphetamine back in the early 90's. Back then I knew it as Crystal and thought it was a relatively benign stimulant. Crack cocaine was big back then, so I thought this was a safer alternative.

Dumb kids, eh? Oy!

Someoldguy

Someoldguy

How did either of you conclude methamphetamine caused your mental illness?

I'm genuinely interested, as I'm rather embarrassed to admit I experimented with methamphetamine back in the early 90's. Back then I knew it as Crystal and thought it was a relatively benign stimulant. Crack cocaine was big back then, so I thought this was a safer alternative.

Dumb kids, eh? Oy!

Sorry, dumb isn't right. Naive kids. That's the trouble.

LizBo

LizBo

Hi @Voices999 @Parayana and @Someoldguy 🖐

I hope you don't mind me contributing as I find this issue really interesting.

I worked for a while in a rehab psych ward (2005) and was surprised by the amount of patients with marijuana induced psychosis. (50%!) I didn't know of anyone (on the ward at that time) with MA induced though.

I just Googled it and the page lit up like a Christmas tree! The consensus isn't 100% re schizophrenia, but all accepted a definite link to ongoing psychosis.

A while ago I asked my son if he'd used MA and he assured me he hadn't as he'd seen what his friends went through. He called it 'the crazy drug'.

I'm so sorry about all your situations. I only experienced psychosis as a result of sleep deprivation when my brain first broke. I couldn't imagine living life like that.

It's great you have a space to talk with others. I used to visit a MH forum where no-one was allowed to discuss schizophrenia or psychosis. I don't go there anymore.

Anyway, you're all so very brave; take care...
Liz

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

@Someoldguy, I was hospitalised within a few weeks of regularly abusing it, to be fair it was probably compounded by years of cannabis, lsd, xtc and psilocybin abuse. @Voices999 I don't work, I'm on disability but I've improved so much recently I'm thinking of looking for work.