• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

4-Year-Old Son Hearing "ghost in my head"

B

Billyboops

Today my son told me, "There's a ghost in my head." I asked him what he meant and he said there was a ghost in his head making scary noises, like "Woooooo, wooooo." He didn't indicate that he was hearing voices, or words, just scary ghost sounds. Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing in a child?

A

Ainsworth

Hi, i see how difficult this is for you. Your son is describing what he hears to the best of his ability which doesnt make it clear to you.

I had voices as a child but they were clear and would tell me to do things (very scary as well) but also i get the (what i call) the wah wah noise from the ears when i am feeling anxious. Others also have 'noise' for lots of different things.

i know this advice is standard on here but taking him to the doctors to get his ears checked (if you havent already) would be a starting point. Also maybe you can keep a chart of when he is bothered with the 'ghost' and see if his behaviour changes. Does he attempt to speak back by telling it to go away? i know i use to.

anyway good luck with it, let us know how you get on :)

Returncc

Returncc

Ghosts

There really is no contradiction that the voices might actually be ghosts, trying to help you understand that he is hearing other people talk, with all the same properties you would normally expect from a ghost. (invisible, bad, and mean) If he is hearing voices in his mind like other HV diagnosed people I doubt the problem is a ears hearing problem, more like a mind hearing problem, but children do have fun having their hearing checked. I treat my voices like invisible ghosts all the time, and they don't seem to mind, and I can avoid confusion of alternative perspectives. It is an easy handle to deal with because it is not that scary, although being haunted by invisible person is not fun, etc. (but I find that just "women" are ghosts, or ghost class, etc, the male voices were more like troubled male spirits, etc. rather than bad female ghosts.) Native Americans have complained about ghosts being real for hundreds of years.

S

stewart

dont know if this help. as a very youg child i had visual hallucinatings that included sounds. i just thought i had a vivid imangination. still do, BOY DO I EVER! allso hear ringing in ears when i see a spider depending on size and location. cause phobia, where is he when this happens, and or location, was he alone. allso casper the goast does not exsist, consult your BIBLE/ eccl.9:5 ,job 14:10,21 ,ps 49:10,17-19 ect,ect,....

Boris

Boris

He could just be attention seeking too, if he seems bothered by it, then I would start taking it seriously... I think if it were me and depending on the circumstances, I wouldn`t make too bigger an issue of it straight away and see if he`s still hearing it in a couple of weeks time etc.

S

skyblue

I know this must be very worrying for you, but yes I do think that you should leave it for awhile and not mention anything to him and see if he brings it up again. That way, you will definately know there is a problem somewhere or maybe not.
I mean, it could be something very simple as the wind blowing. My 7yr old daughter has mentioned before that she could hear ghosts, she was lying in my bed with me at night and it was actually the wind blowing outside.

If however, this isn't the case, I would most definately take him to get his ears checked first, before you go down the road to see any Child Psychiatrist.

I hope the problem gets solved soon.

ally41

ally41

It could be tinnitus from an inner ear infection, I have had ear trouble for years and it does at times sound very much like ghostly 'wooing' noises. I would take him to the doctor if I were you.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I wouldnt worry too much about this unless its really upsetting him. I would def get his ears checked out for infection or possibly tinnitus.Its common for children to have imaginary friends. If hes seen the GP about his ears you can use that as an excuse to find out if he still having these problems. Just askhim if his ears are hurting or making any noise.Just moniter him over the next few months and keep a diary if he has any more probs. And if you are still concered take him back. Imsure everything will turn out fine

goodluck

M

misscas

This is the age when I started hearing an invisible man talk to me for a little while. I was speaking to the man aloud one day when my mother caught me. She called him an 'invisible friend' and told me not to talk to him aloud. It stopped quickly and did not start again until I had a nervous breakdown at age 29.

Encourage your child to not talk to the voice aloud. If your boy seems really distant or distracted, he might be thinking to himself and hearing a response. I would schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist should you see him acting in this manner.