20mg Paroxetine - is it safe?

D

daisydaze

Can anyone who has been on Paroxetine or is currently on Paroxetine tell me about your experience taking it? Or anxiety medication in general?

My boyfriend was prescribed 20mg Paroxetine for anxiety.

The initial reason he went to see the doctor is due to a pain in the left side of his chest, which he believes was caused due to lifting heavy equipment, thus pulling a muscle. The doctor diagnosed it being cystic tissue, explaining that it's normal to be painful. His left side still hurts.

I feel the doctor did not diagnose him correctly and rushed the appointment. After her diagnoses, she asked him about anxiety, and prescribed him Paroxetine that same day. She did not go into the side effects, did not explain the medication other than what it's uses are for, and said to check up in 3 months after using the med, 1 tab daily.

My boyfriend is very anxious about starting this medication, as am I. He's not seeing a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist, and he's living with his family who are manipulative and abusive, and I feel like this doctor prescribed this medication without talking to him and understanding his situation at home first. I know anxiety medication can have an adverse effect, one of the side effects being suicidal thoughts.

Of course we want to help treat his anxiety. We're working on getting him out of there and moving into our own home together. We feel like it'll be safer to start the medication once we're living together, due to his environment + side effects to this medication.

BASICALLY. What I'm saying is I don't trust this doctor. We're looking into a new one. In the mean time, what were your side effects taking anxiety medication, or paroxetine if you've tried it?

Do you feel it's safe to be on anxiety medication while being in a situation that's not always safe for you to be in?

A

Alladyn1919

Can anyone who has been on Paroxetine or is currently on Paroxetine tell me about your experience taking it? Or anxiety medication in general?

My boyfriend was prescribed 20mg Paroxetine for anxiety.

The initial reason he went to see the doctor is due to a pain in the left side of his chest, which he believes was caused due to lifting heavy equipment, thus pulling a muscle. The doctor diagnosed it being cystic tissue, explaining that it's normal to be painful. His left side still hurts.

I feel the doctor did not diagnose him correctly and rushed the appointment. After her diagnoses, she asked him about anxiety, and prescribed him Paroxetine that same day. She did not go into the side effects, did not explain the medication other than what it's uses are for, and said to check up in 3 months after using the med, 1 tab daily.

My boyfriend is very anxious about starting this medication, as am I. He's not seeing a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist, and he's living with his family who are manipulative and abusive, and I feel like this doctor prescribed this medication without talking to him and understanding his situation at home first. I know anxiety medication can have an adverse effect, one of the side effects being suicidal thoughts.

Of course we want to help treat his anxiety. We're working on getting him out of there and moving into our own home together. We feel like it'll be safer to start the medication once we're living together, due to his environment + side effects to this medication.

BASICALLY. What I'm saying is I don't trust this doctor. We're looking into a new one. In the mean time, what were your side effects taking anxiety medication, or paroxetine if you've tried it?

Do you feel it's safe to be on anxiety medication while being in a situation that's not always safe for you to be in?

I think that in such a case a proper diagnosis is all important.There is no point to start taking that medication if he doesn't have that anxiety (as a disease).Misdiagnosises happen even to professional psychiatrists and that doctor from what I gather wasn't even a psychiatrist.
However if you are going to contact psychiatrist or even a psychologist about this, I would recommend to avoid publicity as much as you can, visit another town or another region in your town, something.I would also recommend hiding, if possible, that issue even from family and aquaintances.
Being regarded as having something to do with psychiatric issues might be detrimental to his as well as to your prospects.
I took that paroxetine in the past for major depression. The most serious side effect was insomnia, I had to take sleeping pills, other side effects were rather tolerable.But it wasn't very effective either.I took 20 mg at first and then increased to 30 mg.Exept for depression it probably was somewhat effective for anxiety which maybe accompanies my depression, but overall I remember that drug rather unfavourably taking into account it was very expensive then.And it should be noted that most of such substances can't be stopped abruptly.They should be gradually discontinued over even several weeks or even longer.
So, in my opinion,proper diagnosies first and then thinking about proper treatment.That,s my view.

Regards

Alladyn1919

Skynet

Skynet

I've been on SSRIs like paroxetine before but had to stop them because they were ineffective for my condition, OCD. SSRI's do improve anxiety and depression but some of the side effects are that they lower sex drive and delay ejaculation. So you must weigh the pros and cons.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Anxiety Forum 1
B Anxiety Forum 3
L Anxiety Forum 6