• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

2020... what a year.

frisas45

frisas45

It was exhausting to be honest. 2020 is coming to a close. Although 2020 wasn't difficult as 2019, it was draining.

The year started off great... until the middle of March when my mother relapsed. Her tone was off, and she became suspicious of me. I forced her to take her medication, but she was bitter and angry days later. She was having auditory hallucinations, and I had to struggle through school. I couldn't understand jack shit on the lessons, and didn't learn much.
Thankfully, the ordeal was shorter than last year. My mother was ill for seven months last year, but a small fraction of that this year. Last year was hell. My mother was more violent and no medications seemed to work on her. The doctors rejected her, and I had no money to institutionalize her. South Korea is poor in mental health and the government is reluctant to pay us off. And fuck yeah! US is worse off in terms of medical care. We couldn't afford a DAMN THING in getting us basic medical help. This why the hell we ended up in South Korea. We couldn't afford medical care, and Korea could provide us affordable medical health.

I told the same issue on Reddit, and a user was distraught over my issue. The user said:

"Wow... I genuinely could have written the first portion of this where you’re describing the afternoon depression that keeps creeping in earlier and earlier each day.

As for the rest of it... my friend, you’ve got so much on your plate. I wish I could hug you. Genuinely. I’m so sorry that you’ve got all this educational and familial pressure. I wish I had a solution. As for now, just know there’s someone over here in the US thinking of you. And hoping you can catch a break."

No one has a solution because my issues are so severe. I've went down in the deep end.

Thankfully, she is much better because she is taking pills from a hospital that is known for its legendary status. Samsung Hospital (Yes, Samsung has a hospital in South Korea) is Korea's #1 treatment center. Finest professors treat the patients with excellence.

But I'm exhausted. So exhausted. Tried to fight off the depression that came after the chaos that lasted less than 3 months this year.

And 2019 was so traumatizing... I don't know how to deal with the trauma.

I get triggers and flashbacks. I feel sad.

jajingna

jajingna

Hi, I lived in Korea for years and often took Zoloft for depression there. One thing I will say in Korea's favor is it was easy to get the meds and cheap. Clinics and pharmacies everywhere. I'd just walk into almost any sort of clinic and could see a doctor quickly if there weren't many people waiting, sometimes they were empty, get a prescription easily, pay a really small fee, and head to a pharmacy basically next door. Not that it's so complicated in Canada either, but I liked the convenience in Korea. I've been other places in Asia, like Hong Kong and Taiwan, where Zoloft was sold over the counter! But then, why not, who really wants that stuff if they don't need it?

frisas45

frisas45

Hi, I lived in Korea for years and often took Zoloft for depression there. One thing I will say in Korea's favor is it was easy to get the meds and cheap. Clinics and pharmacies everywhere. I'd just walk into almost any sort of clinic and could see a doctor quickly if there weren't many people waiting, sometimes they were empty, get a prescription easily, pay a really small fee, and head to a pharmacy basically next door. Not that it's so complicated in Canada either, but I liked the convenience in Korea. I've been other places in Asia, like Hong Kong and Taiwan, where Zoloft was sold over the counter! But then, why not, who really wants that stuff if they don't need it?
You see, I don't have depression. I have bipolar disorder. It's horrible. You get depressed one moment and incredibly enraged on another. I take Lonasen, a special antipsychotic, and Lithium. I also take Ativan for sleep. I tried other pills back in the States, and they never worked. And yes, buying meds in South Korea is affordable.

jajingna

jajingna

Yes, bipolar sounds awful, not that depression itself is much better. How's the situation there these days? You guys didn't seem to get too many Covid cases, which is remarkable with your population and crowds like in Seoul and other major cities. Seems like a good job has been done to limit that.

frisas45

frisas45

Yes, bipolar sounds awful, not that depression itself is much better. How's the situation there these days? You guys didn't seem to get too many Covid cases, which is remarkable with your population and crowds like in Seoul and other major cities. Seems like a good job has been done to limit that.
Everybody's roaming around like everything's alright. The infection rates are low. We all wear masks.

frisas45

frisas45

Hey, what do you think about my mental status I just stated yesterday? Dealing with my mother during 2019 and 2020... 2019 is worse...