• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

2 Years After Hospitalization...I'm Still Struggling Sometimes.

M

Meat Sack

Hello, everybody. I'm an adult. I take care of myself. I live alone and I have no friends. Other than that, I'm pretty okay. I can work and manage responsibilities. I had a childhood that was full of sexual, emotional, and physical abuse. I found a trauma therapist and did 2 and a half years of therapy that included EMDR. I've tried really hard to change my negative thought patterns that were a poor coping mechanism. I quit drinking. I've changed my diet. I use CBT skills. I'm learning how to get better.
I do still cry frequently and I can catch when my appetite or sleep schedules get messed up now. I do bad when there's extra stress. I was just wondering how you all managed. Was there a breaking point and how long did it take for you to feel better again?

calypso

calypso

Admin
You sound as though you have worked hard on yourself and been very strong. I admire that immensely. I managed like you, by putting into practise the things I learned and doing the religiously. I also recovered with the right medication and with a family behind me. I am diagnosed bipolar and know that without the meds it would be a different story. But they aren't for everyone, I know that.

I think you take one day at a time and make the most of that day. If you continue then before long a week of strength has passed, then a month and so forth. Crying can be a release or it can increase stress, which is it for you? I just awoke one morning and realised I wasn't depressed any more. I still get depressions but I can build on the things I learned and get through them with the help of friends and people on here who supported me.

M

Meat Sack

Thank you. Crying has been a huge release for me but it just feels weird and sometimes I feel like I can't shut it off but it doesn't distress me.
I can't say I'm really depressed at the moment but I do feel stuck because I don't know what I want to do with myself now. I'm just in a weird point of recovery. It's scary because I don't feel bad but I don't feel good and I feel trapped at this stage. It's like I'm trying too hard to figure out where to go from here.